encoding arbitrary chars in xml files and jdom...

cgbusch

I am using JDOM and XML. Apparently, I am suppose to be able to
encode any character in xml by where 12 is the decimal number
for the ascii or unicode character.

However, JDOM apparently does support that format. I get Error in
building: stream:1: illegal character ref at ` ' (\u000c) when I use
that notation.

What is the proper way of encoding arbitrary chars in xml files?