    seen exactly because of security reasons. Is there a way to encrypt it
    and later decrypt when reading the querystring...?
    I would be very happy with some sample code.

    Onur Bozkurt, Jul 23, 2003

  2. It's generally a bad idea to send any sensitive data using the querystring,
    for security purposes.

    You'll need to encrypt using the System.Security.Cyptography classes. What
    you can do is use RC4 encryption to encrypt your string, and then convert it
    to Hex so it can safely be passed in the querystring.

    I've done this in classic ASP, but haven't got round to converting it to
    ..net yet, so unfortunately I don't have a code sample. If you'd like to see
    the classic ASP version, let me know.

    Hope this helps,

    Mun

    Munsifali Rashid, Jul 23, 2003

  3. The real problem with this situation is that he wants to encrypt data and
    then put it into the Query String. If that data controls the functionality
    of the page, it doesn't matter whether it's encrypted or not. The URL will
    still invoke the functionality in the page that the Query String parameter
    specifies, regardless of the user's ability to understand it.

    --
    HTH,

    Kevin Spencer
    Microsoft MVP
    ..Net Developer
    http://www.takempis.com
    Big things are made up of
    lots of little things.

    Kevin Spencer, Jul 23, 2003
  4. Onur Bozkurt

    Onur Bozkurt Guest

    I couldn't understand what exactly you wan't to say because of my poo
    english. You mean is it still unsecure.?
    Is there a way to do this in a more secure way...?

    Onur Bozkurt, Jul 23, 2003
  5. It would be better to store sensitive information on the server, and avoid
    it going out to the client in any way whatsoever.

    --
    HTH,

    Kevin Spencer
    Microsoft MVP
    ..Net Developer
    http://www.takempis.com
    Big things are made up of
    lots of little things.

    Kevin Spencer, Jul 23, 2003
  6. Onur Bozkurt

    Tarren Guest

    You are assuming the program will understand the querystring and will be
    able to decrypt it and run the logic.

    But if the key is in the session variable, then a new person, even with the
    url, would not be able to run the program because the server would unable to
    decrypt the info without the key in the session variable.

    It does not matter if the user can/cannot understand the querystring. If
    the server cannot understand the querystring at a later time, then the
    problem is solved, no?

    Would this work?

    "Kevin Spencer" <> wrote in message
    > Here's the thing (thought I explained it earlier!) - The query string is
    > used to pass information to the page that will enable or run some
    > functionality in that page. Regardless of whether the user can understand
    > the query string or not, all he/she needs to do is to paste the URL with

    the
    > query string into his/her browser, and voila! the page is run.
    >
    > --
    > HTH,
    >
    > Kevin Spencer
    > Microsoft MVP
    > .Net Developer
    > http://www.takempis.com
    > Big things are made up of
    > lots of little things.
    >
    > "Tarren" <noemailplease> wrote in message
    > > Could you do this?
    > >
    > > Encrypt the query string and store the private key as a session

    variable?

    Tarren, Jul 23, 2003
  7. Onur Bozkurt

    Onur Bozkurt Guest

    Let me explain it from the beginning.

    This is an e-commerce site without a ssl certificate. So when the user ready
    to give his/her credit card number I will redirect the user to a new
    web-site with a ssl certificate.
    This wasn't my choice but it should be in this way and can't be changed.

    So when redirecting the user I should send the orderid, userid, amount will
    be paid,.... to the new page. But I don't want these values to be seen
    clearly.

    Onur Bozkurt, Jul 24, 2003
  8. Definitely do-able. You could encrypt a string using a private key, and
    then hex the value (as often, encrypted strings are non-ascii, and you'll
    end up with a very messy URL). Pass the hex in your querystring, and then
    decrypt it on the other end. The querystring is encrypted, so if the user
    messes with it, the server will simply be unable to decipher it on the
    receiving end and discard it.

    I've converted a class I wrote in class ASP to do this, to ASP.NET (though
    it's not using the new security classes, yet). If you're interested in
    this, drop me a line.

    Mun

    Munsifali Rashid, Jul 24, 2003
  9. Why not post the form directly to the SSL site?

    Alternatively, break your order into two steps. The first when the order is
    written to the database on your end, and then have a form with a bunch of
    hidden fields with the Order ID, User ID, Amount, etc and a submit button to
    the SSL Site saying something like "Click here to pay securely with your
    credit card".

    The form would be submitted to the SSL site, which could use it as required,
    and the user would be able to enter their credit card details to complete
    the transaction.

    If you need to do it without user interaction - i.e. you cant implement the
    above scenario where the user has to click a button, then you could, from
    code dynamically build a form with hidden fields containing the data you
    need to pass across to the SSL site, and then use JavaScript to
    automatically post this form.

    Hope this helps,

    Mun

    Munsifali Rashid, Jul 24, 2003