Entirely new idea for a webpage

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by Nikos, Apr 28, 2005.

  1. Nikos

    Nikos Guest

    Hello and Good Morning,

    I'll try to be as exact as possibl to what iam trying to do:

    Today i decided to change entirely my index.pl page and template and to
    create a new one.
    I will no longer presentate religious scripts from my webpage but i
    think its a good idea to create a webpage
    that will show up a list of movies that i do have from the current drop
    down menu that i already have or better just
    tweak the already games.pl script to a movies.pl script that would
    presentate the movies as it now have presentated the
    games.

    Users have to signup first and their username and password will be
    stored in a mysql users database and then everytime
    they visit my webpage they would have to log in first and after that
    they are ready to view and select movies from
    a dropdown menu and add them to a basket or something.

    Then they will hit "done" and their selection would be stored in a mysql
    order database that will have some connection
    to the users database table.

    Then if they want to see what they ordered they could be able to press a
    "show what i ordered" button and then that will
    be presenatte to them. I currently have a show.pl so that too is almost
    ready except that its a cgi one and needs
    converting to a template.

    Will you please help me make the appropriate tweaks to the already
    created scripts to implement that.
    Iam trying too but unfortunately iam no expert.

    Thank you.

    ps. iam trying now to chnage the column names from games and otehr
    database tables to more appropriate ones.

    Do you agree with those names of the database tables and the columns in
    it to what i want to do? Dis i pick them correctly?

    I tried the names to be as much self-explanatory as i can:

    $dbh->do( "CREATE DATABASE user (username text, password text, name
    text, surname text, address text, phone text, mail text)" );
    $dbh->do( "CREATE DATABASE userselect (username text auto_increment
    primary key, moviename text" ) or die $!;
    $dbh->do( "CREATE DATABASE userdesire (title text, remark text, mail
    text, date text, host text )" ) or die $!;
    $dbh->do( "CREATE DATABASE movies (moviename text, moviedesc text,
    moviecount int )" ) or die $!;
    Nikos, Apr 28, 2005

  2. Nikos

    Scott Bryce Guest

    Nikos wrote:

    > Will you please help me make the appropriate tweaks to the already
    > created scripts to implement that.

    No. That isn't what this newsgroup is about.

    > Do you agree with those names of the database tables and the columns in
    > it to what i want to do? Dis i pick them correctly?

    This newsgroup is not about choosing field names for your databases.
    Scott Bryce, Apr 28, 2005

  3. Nikos

    Nikos Guest

    Scott Bryce wrote:
    > Nikos wrote:
    >
    >> Will you please help me make the appropriate tweaks to the already
    >> created scripts to implement that.

    > No. That isn't what this newsgroup is about.
    >

    >> Do you agree with those names of the database tables and the columns
    >> in it to what i want to do? Dis i pick them correctly?

    > This newsgroup is not about choosing field names for your databases.

    I will need some guidelines, i have already started it but i dont knwo
    how to proceed.

    Well i think columns names do matter because they have to be
    self-explanatory and help user think why they are existing.

    I don't know how to start to what i have asked, can you please help me out!
    For starters i must have a button that a user will click in order to
    sign up and then login with user name and password.

    I just dont know hot to write it neither i can afforf paying someone
    else to write it. I can though try step by step something.

    ps. Hiring a Perl programmer write something costs 147$ per hour? Oh
    boy, this job is a goldmine if someone knows how to program.
    Nikos, Apr 28, 2005
  4. Nikos wrote:
    > Scott Bryce wrote:
    >
    >> Nikos wrote:
    >>
    >>> Will you please help me make the appropriate tweaks to the already
    >>> created scripts to implement that.

    >> No. That isn't what this newsgroup is about.
    >>

    >>> Do you agree with those names of the database tables and the columns
    >>> in it to what i want to do? Dis i pick them correctly?

    >> This newsgroup is not about choosing field names for your databases.

    > I will need some guidelines, i have already started it but i dont knwo
    > how to proceed.

    Again, you are abusing the goodwill of the readers of this newsgroup.
    Can you not see that you are being exceptionally rude? How many people
    have to point out to you that you are behaving badly before you realise?
    Are you actually reading any of this?

    > I just dont know hot to write it neither i can afforf paying someone
    > else to write it. I can though try step by step something.

    So:

    you don't know how to do something
    you have had many, many, perfectly adequate explanations of what needs
    to be done and how to modify your approach
    you want someone else to do it all for you
    you want them to do it for free

    There is clearly something I'm not getting here.

    > ps. Hiring a Perl programmer write something costs 147$ per hour? Oh
    > boy, this job is a goldmine if someone knows how to program.

    In which universe does EUR represent US dollars? EUR, funnily enough,
    means Euros, thus chosen because it is a nice round number (at the
    moment) in Sterling, if you know what that is. That isn't a typical rate
    (I wish): it is a special rate for *you*. If you don't like my rates,
    then I'm sure others here will be willing to give you alternative rates
    and express them in currency units you understand.

    I need to walk away.

    Mark
    Mark Clements, Apr 28, 2005
  5. Nikos

    Nikos Guest

    Mark Clements wrote:

    > you want someone else to do it all for you

    No i'll do it but when i stuck i will ask for help.
    At this moment i dont knwo how to evne start!

    > then I'm sure others here will be willing to give you alternative rates
    > and express them in currency units you understand.

    I do understand Euros since i use them. I though it your first psot
    asking for payment you were talking dollars.

    Actually 1 Euro ~= 1 dollar
    Nikos, Apr 28, 2005
  6. Nikos <> wrote:
    > Scott Bryce wrote:
    >> Nikos wrote:

    >>> Do you agree with those names of the database tables and the columns
    >>> in it to what i want to do? Dis i pick them correctly?

    >> This newsgroup is not about choosing field names for your databases.

    > I will need some guidelines,

    What would be the point of that?

    You have demonstrated time and time again that you won't follow
    good advice.

    > Well i think columns names do matter

    You seem to have reading comprehension issues as well.

    Read what Scott wrote. Did he say that the column names do not matter?

    No, he said that choosing the column names are OFF TOPIC here, as they
    have no relationship to Perl (the topic of this newsgroup).

    Nobody here gives a rat's ass about what column names you choose,
    because that has nothing to do with Perl.

    > I don't know how to start to what i have asked,

    Yes you do...

    > For starters i must have a button that a user will click in order to
    > sign up and then login with user name and password.

    .... start with a login webpage.

    (you can get all of that done with ZERO Perl code, so making the
    login webpage is off-topic here too.
    )

    > I can though try step by step something.

    You have proven otherwise many many times already. What has changed?

    > ps. Hiring a Perl programmer write something costs 147$ per hour?

    Where did you get that figure?

    > Oh
    > boy, this job is a goldmine if someone knows how to program.

    Most jobs that require extensive training pay well, that is no surprise.

    --
    Tad McClellan SGML consulting
    Perl programming
    Tad McClellan, Apr 28, 2005
  7. Nikos <> wrote in news:d4qvn4$gjt$:

    > Mark Clements wrote:

    >> then I'm sure others here will be willing to give you alternative rates
    >> and express them in currency units you understand.

    > Actually 1 Euro ~= 1 dollar

    Try 1 Euro = 1.3 USD.

    --
    A. Sinan Unur <>

    A. Sinan Unur, Apr 28, 2005
  8. Tad McClellan wrote:
    > Nikos <> wrote:
    >

    >>ps. Hiring a Perl programmer write something costs 147$ per hour?

    > Where did you get that figure?

    Me, I'm afraid, in another thread, which Nikos managed to reply to in
    this one. It was a special "sickener" price for him, except I clearly
    quoted in Euros and he doesn't appear to be able to read.

    Sinan has attempted to explain that USD and EUR are *not* at parity but
    I doubt if Nikos will bother reading that.

    I should know better than to introduce another potential source of
    confusion.

    Mark
    Mark Clements, Apr 28, 2005
  9. Nikos

    Scott Bryce Guest

    Nikos wrote:

    > Well i think columns names do matter because they have to be
    > self-explanatory and help user think why they are existing.

    Perhaps, but that is not a Perl issue.

    > For starters i must have a button that a user will click in order to
    > sign up and then login with user name and password.

    Creating buttons is also not a Perl issue. Securing a web site is
    probably too complex for your skill level.

    > ps. Hiring a Perl programmer write something costs 147$ per hour? Oh
    > boy, this job is a goldmine if someone knows how to program.

    I'm going broke. But I'm not one of the better programmers here.
    Scott Bryce, Apr 28, 2005
  10. Nikos

    peter pilsl Guest

    Nikos wrote:

    > Will you please help me make the appropriate tweaks to the already
    > created scripts to implement that.
    > Iam trying too but unfortunately iam no expert.

    you should start by buying a book "how to learn perl" or "how to learn
    CGI". There will be many example-programs and you can learn
    step-by-step. This is what books are for.
    Then you will start changing the example-scripts and beeing able to make
    your own scripts and then you'll have questions like "how do I lowercase
    utf8-encoded text" and then this newsgroup will be looking forward to
    help you. This is what the newsgroup is for. To answer specific questions.
    But this newsgroup cannot help you when you dont have a clue about perl
    and cgi.
    And yes: databasenames are very important, but I'm sure you'll figure
    out the correct names for yourself.

    best,
    peter

    --
    http://www.goldfisch.at/know_list
    peter pilsl, Apr 28, 2005
  11. Nikos

    Nikos Guest

    Scott Bryce wrote:

    > Creating buttons is also not a Perl issue. Securing a web site is
    > probably too complex for your skill level.

    Yes, it is. Iam almost an absolute beginner.

    >> ps. Hiring a Perl programmer write something costs 147$ per hour? Oh
    >> boy, this job is a goldmine if someone knows how to program.

    > I'm going broke. But I'm not one of the better programmers here.

    I can pay you 10 Euros via neteller if you make the script.
    Its not much but:

    a) I cant afford to pay money.

    b) It would be something than helping me with no cost.

    What do you say?
    Nikos, Apr 28, 2005
  12. Nikos

    peter pilsl Guest

    Nikos wrote:

    > I can pay you 10 Euros via neteller if you make the script.
    > Its not much but:
    >
    > a) I cant afford to pay money.
    >
    > b) It would be something than helping me with no cost.
    >
    > What do you say?

    Add another 10€, so you get 20€ and buy a book and take some time to
    read and learn. Believe me: it pays off !!

    http://www.goldfisch.at/know_list
    peter pilsl, Apr 28, 2005
  13. Nikos <> wrote in news:d4r63g$m8f$:

    > Scott Bryce wrote:
    >
    >> Creating buttons is also not a Perl issue. Securing a web site is
    >> probably too complex for your skill level.

    > Yes, it is. Iam almost an absolute beginner.
    >
    >>> ps. Hiring a Perl programmer write something costs 147$ per hour? Oh
    >>> boy, this job is a goldmine if someone knows how to program.

    >> I'm going broke. But I'm not one of the better programmers here.

    > I can pay you 10 Euros via neteller if you make the script.
    > Its not much but:
    >
    > a) I cant afford to pay money.
    >
    > b) It would be something than helping me with no cost.
    >
    > What do you say?

    *I* think your time is better spent studying a little. Break down
    whatever you are trying to do in to bite-sized pieces, and figure out how
    to accomplish what is needed for each piece.

    After all, that is why programming is satisfying: Instant feedback when
    you screw up, and instant gratification when you succeed. You are not
    going to get gratification if you continue to insist on not following
    others' advice.

    Go to groups.google.com, find your first post, and re-read the answers.

    Sinan.
    A. Sinan Unur, Apr 28, 2005
  14. Nikos

    J. Gleixner Guest

    Nikos wrote:

    > I just dont know hot to write it neither i can afforf paying someone
    > else to write it. I can though try step by step something.

    Well, then you're in a bit of a quandary. You want to build a shed,
    just like your neighbor's, but you don't even have a hammer & nails nor
    do you know how, and you're unable to hire someone who has all the tools
    and knows exactly what to do. Basically, you have two options:

    o Don't build it.
    o Learn how to build it yourself.

    There are thousands of sites on the Internet, along with a lot of books,
    to help you learn how to do whatever you want. This newsgroup is not the
    best place to teach you step by step, how to do something. Use search
    engines, read articles, tutorials, code, etc. and learn it yourself, one
    step at a time. The initiative is on you.

    P.S. I don't want to add to your learning curve, however IMHO, based on
    what you said you're trying to do and your nascent programming ability,
    you may want to use PHP instead. http://www.php.net/ There's plenty of
    documentation and a newsgroup specifically for PHP. nudge..nudge..
    J. Gleixner, Apr 28, 2005
  15. Nikos

    Nikos Guest

    peter pilsl wrote:
    > Nikos wrote:
    >

    >> Will you please help me make the appropriate tweaks to the already
    >> created scripts to implement that.
    >> Iam trying too but unfortunately iam no expert.
    >>

    > you should start by buying a book "how to learn perl" or "how to learn
    > CGI". There will be many example-programs and you can learn
    > step-by-step. This is what books are for.
    > Then you will start changing the example-scripts and beeing able to make
    > your own scripts and then you'll have questions like "how do I lowercase
    > utf8-encoded text" and then this newsgroup will be looking forward to
    > help you. This is what the newsgroup is for. To answer specific questions.
    > But this newsgroup cannot help you when you dont have a clue about perl
    > and cgi.
    > And yes: databasenames are very important, but I'm sure you'll figure
    > out the correct names for yourself.

    Yes Peter, you are absolutely right.
    This is the proper way of learning.

    I already bought a book names "Learnign Perl" and i read some but
    unfortunately i dont have the strenght of reading it all. Its 600 pages.

    This is odd. I want to learn & use Perl but i can put much effort on
    reading.

    I'am more like trying practically something(typing code) and when i get
    stuck then ask.
    I know its not the correct way of functioning but this is how i do things.

    Someone might consider that i am lazy, but if that was true then i
    wouldn't even bother of trying to right the buggy code i right.

    What i say does not owner me, but unfortunately its true.
    Nikos, Apr 28, 2005
  16. Nikos

    peter pilsl Guest

    > I'am more like trying practically something(typing code) and when i get
    > stuck then ask.

    Not this is not what you do. You ask "how do I program a webpage?". you
    dont ask "why is the parameter delivered by cgi.pm flawed?"

    > What i say does not owner me, but unfortunately its true.

    I would say, the only person that really should worry about this, is
    yourself :) In fact: I dont care how you learn perl. I'm willing to
    assist you if you have problems, but I'm not willing to learn you perl.
    Nobody here is, so : read that book or dont learn perl ;) its as easy as
    that and its completely up to you ;)

    best,
    peter

    --
    http://www.goldfisch.at/know_list
    peter pilsl, Apr 28, 2005
  17. Nikos wrote:
    > I already bought a book names "Learnign Perl" and i read some but
    > unfortunately i dont have the strenght of reading it all. Its 600 pages.
    >
    > This is odd. I want to learn & use Perl but i can put much effort on
    > reading.
    >
    > I'am more like trying practically something(typing code)

    You seem to prefer 'the hard way'.

    I learned writing CGI scripts in Perl without having read one single
    book on programming. My starting point was badly written CGI scripts and
    a few tutorials, and I surfed the web for guidance as soon as I
    encountered a problem. Which I of course did for basically every new
    step I took...

    So believe me when I say that I know about 'the hard way'. Even if it
    was a challenge, sort of - and I like challenges - I now wish that I had
    read a book or two, or at least found the excellent recources at
    http://learn.perl.org/

    > and when i get stuck then ask.
    > I know its not the correct way of functioning but this is how i do things.

    Ask? How *you* do things?? But.. To do things like that, you need a
    personal tutor, right? And forums like this group will never serve that
    purpose.

    > Someone might consider that i am lazy,

    I for one am not sure.

    Doing it 'the hard way' does certainly not make you lazy.

    Expecting people to be your personal tutor for free does.

    --
    Gunnar Hjalmarsson
    Gunnar Hjalmarsson, Apr 28, 2005
  18. Nikos

    Nikos Guest

    J. Gleixner wrote:
    > Nikos wrote:

    > There are thousands of sites on the Internet, along with a lot of books,
    > to help you learn how to do whatever you want. This newsgroup is not the
    > best place to teach you step by step, how to do something. Use search
    > engines, read articles, tutorials, code, etc. and learn it yourself, one
    > step at a time. The initiative is on you.

    So, do you mind if i ask simple questions when i get stuck on something?
    Nikos, Apr 28, 2005
  19. Nikos wrote:

    > I already bought a book names "Learnign Perl" and i read some but
    > unfortunately i dont have the strenght of reading it all. Its 600 pages.

    The O'Reilly one is 330 pages, according to Amazon. But this is
    academic. In order to learn, you need to read. I don't really see how
    you can disagree with this. I understand that English may not be your
    first language, but quite often you'll find that technical documentation
    is available in little else. Even speakers of widely-spoken European
    languages like French and Spanish have to cope with this.

    > This is odd. I want to learn & use Perl but i can put much effort on
    > reading.
    >
    > I'am more like trying practically something(typing code) and when i get
    > stuck then ask.

    Oh - you're very good at getting stuck, and at asking. Unfortunately,
    asking only works if one listens to the responses. You don't. *Ever*.

    > Someone might consider that i am lazy, but if that was true then i
    > wouldn't even bother of trying to right the buggy code i right.

    I won't comment on your laziness, but would like to reiterate the
    suggestion of PHP as I was thinking along the same lines as well. Go on:
    you know you want to. Look, here's the newsgroup: comp.lang.php. Even
    better (for you), how about ASP? Microsoft have a wealth of
    documentation on .NET for you to get your teeth into. You'll love
    reading it, and they have their own newsgroups: the server is
    msnews.microsoft.com.

    Mark
    Mark Clements, Apr 28, 2005
  20. Nikos

    Scott Bryce Guest

    Nikos wrote:

    > So, do you mind if i ask simple questions when i get stuck on
    > something?

    Answering questions when people get stuck is what this NG is here for,
    provided that the question pertains to coding in Perl, and not general,
    "How do I build a web site?" type questions. Keep in mind that
    many--probably most--of the regulars here use Perl for things other than
    CGI, so they aren't horribly interested in your web design problems.

    Simple questions are probably answered in the FAQ, which we expect you
    to read. We also expect you to do some digging on your own, such as
    looking up the answer in books or on the web or in the docs.

    We also expect you to post a short, but complete program that
    demonstrates the problem you are having. Strip out everything that does
    not pertain to the question you want answered. Tell us what you tried,
    what you expected it to do and what it did that you didn't expect.

    But if you read the posting guidelines for this group, you would already
    know all this.
    Scott Bryce, Apr 28, 2005