entity bean as being reentrant

gk

Here is a excerpt

If we define the entity bean as being reentrant, multiple clients can
connect to the Entity bean & execute methods within the entity bean
concurrently. Container takes care of synchronization. If we define
the entity bean as non-reentrant and many clients connect to it
concurrently to execute a method, exception is thrown .

could you please tell what exception ?

is it java.lang.Exception ? or something else ?

Also , why there is no re-entrant for session beans ? is there any
reason ?

Lew

gk said:
Here is a[n] excerpt

excerpted from ...?
If we define the entity bean as being reentrant, multiple clients can
connect to the Entity bean& execute methods within the entity bean
concurrently. Container takes care of synchronization. If we define
the entity bean as non-reentrant and many clients connect to it
concurrently to execute a method, exception is thrown .

could you please tell what exception ?

What do the
is it java.lang.Exception ? or something else ?

*All* exceptions in Java are 'java.lang.Exception's. They may be something
else as well. What does the documentation say for your platform?
Also , why there is no re-entrant for session beans ? is there any
reason ?

Stateless session beans are re-entrant, or can be. Stateful ones really
cannot be.

Things are somewhat different in modern Java EE. For what platform is that
documentation? What document did you excerpt?

Daniel Pitts

*All* exceptions in Java are 'java.lang.Exception's. They may be
something else as well. What does the documentation say for your platform?
Actually, they can also be Errors, or any other Throwable not derived
from Error or Exception.

Also, when someone asks what exception is being thrown, it takes very
little imagination to expect they meant the most specifically guaranteed
type, not the most generally guaranteed type.

Lew

Daniel said:
Actually, they can also be Errors, or any other Throwable not derived
from Error or Exception.

If they're "exceptions", then by definition they descend from Exception. They
cannot be any other Throwable not derived from Exception.
Also, when someone asks what exception is being thrown, it takes very
little imagination to expect they meant the most specifically guaranteed
type, not the most generally guaranteed type.

Programming is a discipline of precision. I can imagine or expect that all
sorts of things are meant, but I have to ensure I am not making an unfounded
assumption. Thus, I replied in a way that covers both eventualities.