EOF .NET equivalent?

D. Shane Fowlkes

When using classic ASP, I would use something like what's below to show HTML
if the recordset was empty.

<% If RS.EOF And RS.BOF Then %>
<% End If %>

Now...as I'm learning ASP.NET, I'll use something like what's below to loop
thru a recordset.

<%
While MyData.Read()
Response.Write...stuff.....
End While
%>

But as simple as it may seem, I cannot find any references in my books or
online how to "detect" if the recordset is empty. I'm basing my SELECT
statement off of a search form so if the user types something that's not
useful like "tuvwxyz", the query will most likely return nothing. Any
pointers?

Thanks

--

*********************************
D. Shane Fowlkes - TMM

S. Justin Gengo

Shane,

If there are no records While MyData.Read will never begin the loop.

It's just skipped over automatically because .Read never fires since there
are no records.

--
Sincerely,

S. Justin Gengo, MCP
Web Developer / Programmer

Free code library at:
www.aboutfortunate.com

"Out of chaos comes order."
Nietzche

D. Shane Fowlkes

Yes, I know. That's my point. How would I display a message indicating
there are no records when there are no records? For example...

<% If Not RS.EOF Or Not RS.BOF Then %>
Go thru my loop and display records.......
<% Else %>
<% End If%>

Thanks

--

*********************************
D. Shane Fowlkes - TMM
Saving the world, one web site at a time.
http://www.shanefowlkes.com
*********************************

Kevin Spencer

if objDR.Read() then
Do
Loop While objDR.Read()
Else
End If

--
HTH,
Kevin Spencer

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

There are a couple of ways. Using your methodology, you can do the
following:

<%
Dim blnRecords As Boolean = false

While MyData.Read()
'Set boolean
blnRecords = true
Response.Write...stuff.....
End While

If blnRecords = False then
Response.Write("No records dood!")
End If
%>

In general, I would learn to write from codeBehind, rather than embed code.
While it was necessary in ASP, it is bad form, overall, in ASP.NET (changes
a bit in ASP.NET 2.0 - Whidbey, but that is another story).

--
Gregory A. Beamer
MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

Think Outside the Box!