Errno::EEXIST File Exists error when installing 'ferret' gem fromlocal .gem file

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Brandon Simmons, Dec 22, 2010.

  1. Hi all,

    This is a cross-post from:
    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/...hen-installing-ferret-gem-from-local-gem-file

    I am trying to install the ferret ruby gem on a RHEL zlinux (s390x
    architecture) machine, and am trying to install a .gem file after
    patching it so that it will compile.

    But even trying to install the pristine fetched gem, it fails as follows:

    [ me@s390x ]$ sudo gem fetch ferret
    Downloaded ferret-0.11.6
    [ me@s390x ]$ sudo gem install -lV ferret-0.11.6.gem
    Installing gem ferret-0.11.6
    Using local gem /home/rubyusr/rubygems/gems/cache/ferret-0.11.6.gem
    /home/rubyusr/rubygems/gems/gems/ferret-0.11.6/bin
    ERROR: While executing gem ... (Errno::EEXIST)
    File exists - /home/rubyusr/rubygems/gems/gems/ferret-0.11.6/bin

    None of the above-mentioned directories or files related to "ferret"
    existed before running this command.

    Also strange is that
    /home/rubyusr/rubygems/gems/gems/ferret-0.11.6/bin is a directory,
    although maybe that is a normal complaint.

    A final complicating factor is when I run the gem command I am
    actually running a shell script that sets the environment variables
    for my unusual rubygems directory (I haven't had any problems so far
    with this set up). Here is my gem shell script:

    #!/bin/bash

    export GEM_HOME=/home/rubyusr/rubygems/gems
    export GEM_PREFIX=/home/rubyusr/rubygems
    export RUBYLIB=$GEM_PREFIX/lib:/usr/lib/ruby:/usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby:/usr/lib/site_ruby
    export GEM_PATH=$GEM_HOME

    OUR_GEM_COMMAND=$GEM_PREFIX/bin/gem

    $OUR_GEM_COMMAND $@

    I forgot to add that running the gem install command normally does not
    seem to result in this error (but ferret fails to compile), with the
    error:

    posh.h:515:4: error: #error POSH cannot determine target CPU

    Thanks,
    Brandon Simmons
    http://coder.bsimmons.name

    Brandon Simmons, Dec 22, 2010