Error at "bison parse.y" when compiling Ruby with MinGW

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by jeffz_2002@yahoo.com, Oct 9, 2006.

  1. Guest

    I'm trying to build Ruby from source with MinGW (Windows XP SP 2), and
    it bombs at bison:

    > sh configure --prefix=c:\my_ruby --enable-shared i386-mingw32

    .... lots 'o stuff

    > make

    gcc -g -O2 -DRUBY_EXPORT -I. -I. -c array.c
    .... other files
    gcc -g -O2 -DRUBY_EXPORT -I. -I. -c pack.c
    bison -y parse.y
    parse.y: fatal error: invalid token in skeleton: @output
    @output_parser_name@
    make: *** [parse.c] Error 1

    Lengthy searches on google and rubygarden to no avail. I grabbed the
    latest parse.y from the CVS repository, but I don't think that's where
    the problem is. Does anyone have any ideas?

    Tools:

    MinGW packages:
    binutils-2.15.91-20040904-1.tar.gz
    gcc-core-3.4.2-20040916-1.tar.gz
    gcc-g++-3.4.2-20040916-1.tar.gz
    mingw-runtime-3.9.tar.gz
    mingw32-make-3.80.0-3.exe
    w32api-3.6.tar.gz

    MSYS packages:
    bison-2.0-MSYS.tar.gz
    MSYS-1.0.11-2004.04.30-1.exe
    msys-autoconf-2.59.tar
    msys-automake-1.8.2.tar
    msys-libtool-1.5.tar
    msysDTK-1.0.1.exe

    GNU bash, version 2.04.0(1)-release-(i686-pc-msys)

    All installed, all on path, can compile C programs with gcc. Autoconf
    works.

    Thanks,

    Jeff

    , Oct 9, 2006

  2. Hi,

    In message "Re: Error at "bison parse.y" when compiling Ruby with MinGW"
    on Mon, 9 Oct 2006 08:55:10 +0900, writes:

    |bison -y parse.y
    |parse.y: fatal error: invalid token in skeleton: @output
    |@output_parser_name@
    |make: *** [parse.c] Error 1

    Perhaps something wrong in your bison template file, bison.simple.
    Can you find it and search through "@output_parser_name@"?
    Re-installing bison may solve the problem.

    matz.

    Yukihiro Matsumoto, Oct 9, 2006

    Hello Matz,

    > Perhaps something wrong in your bison template file, bison.simple.

    Interestingly, I didn't have this file, and when I searched the
    download source it wasn't there either! Funny. I got a copy of
    bison.simple from an MIT server and put it in the bison.exe directory,
    but that didn't solve the problem. It also didn't have any
    "output_parser_name" variables.

    > Re-installing bison may solve the problem.

    Unfortunately, no.

    I'll keep looking.

    jz

    , Oct 9, 2006