Error at "bison parse.y" when compiling Ruby with MinGW

jeffz_2002

I'm trying to build Ruby from source with MinGW (Windows XP SP 2), and
it bombs at bison:
sh configure --prefix=c:\my_ruby --enable-shared i386-mingw32
.... lots 'o stuff
gcc -g -O2 -DRUBY_EXPORT -I. -I. -c array.c
.... other files
gcc -g -O2 -DRUBY_EXPORT -I. -I. -c pack.c
bison -y parse.y
parse.y: fatal error: invalid token in skeleton: @output
@output_parser_name@
make: *** [parse.c] Error 1

Lengthy searches on google and rubygarden to no avail. I grabbed the
latest parse.y from the CVS repository, but I don't think that's where
the problem is. Does anyone have any ideas?

Tools:

MinGW packages:
binutils-2.15.91-20040904-1.tar.gz
gcc-core-3.4.2-20040916-1.tar.gz
gcc-g++-3.4.2-20040916-1.tar.gz
mingw-runtime-3.9.tar.gz
mingw32-make-3.80.0-3.exe
w32api-3.6.tar.gz

MSYS packages:
bison-2.0-MSYS.tar.gz
MSYS-1.0.11-2004.04.30-1.exe
msys-autoconf-2.59.tar
msys-automake-1.8.2.tar
msys-libtool-1.5.tar
msysDTK-1.0.1.exe

GNU bash, version 2.04.0(1)-release-(i686-pc-msys)

All installed, all on path, can compile C programs with gcc. Autoconf
works.

Thanks,

Jeff

Yukihiro Matsumoto

Hi,

In message "Re: Error at "bison parse.y" when compiling Ruby with MinGW"
on Mon, 9 Oct 2006 08:55:10 +0900, (e-mail address removed) writes:

|bison -y parse.y
|parse.y: fatal error: invalid token in skeleton: @output
|@output_parser_name@
|make: *** [parse.c] Error 1

Perhaps something wrong in your bison template file, bison.simple.
Can you find it and search through "@output_parser_name@"?
Re-installing bison may solve the problem.

matz.

jeffz_2002

Hello Matz,
Perhaps something wrong in your bison template file, bison.simple.
Interestingly, I didn't have this file, and when I searched the
download source it wasn't there either! Funny. I got a copy of
bison.simple from an MIT server and put it in the bison.exe directory,
but that didn't solve the problem. It also didn't have any
"output_parser_name" variables.
Re-installing bison may solve the problem.
Unfortunately, no.

I'll keep looking.

jz