    What is the difference between normal c++ and .net?

    This may of course be the wrong newsgroup... If so, can anyone point me in
    the right direction?
    Morten Aune Lyrstad, Aug 26, 2004

  2. Morten Aune Lyrstad

    Mike Wahler Guest

    Re: [OT, welcome msg, redir, link] error LNK2019

    "Morten Aune Lyrstad" <> wrote in message
    > I just received my copy of vc++.net. When I try to compile an "old" vc60
    > application I suddenly get
    >
    > unresolved external symbol "void __cdecl std::_Xran(void)"
    > (?_Xran@std@@YAXXZ) referenced in function "public: class
    > std::basic_string<char,struct std::char_traits<char>,class
    > std::allocator<char> > & __thiscall std::basic_string<char,
    >
    > etc. etc. etc.
    >
    > What is the difference between normal c++ and .net?

    I don't know what 'normal' C++ is, but the C++ discussed
    here is that defined by International Standard ISO/IEC 14882
    (a.k.a 'standard C++', 'ISO C++', and 'ANSI C++'). '.NET' is
    not a language at all, but a Microsoft technology. The latest
    Microsoft C++ compiler is much more standard-compliant than
    previous offers, but it still contains 'extensions' for doing
    nonstandard things (e.g. interfacing with .NET platform).
    The language standard does allow implementations to include
    such extensions, but does not define or constrain them. They're
    not part of the standard language or standard library.

    > This may of course be the wrong newsgroup...

    It is. For future reference, here are the 'official' description
    and guidelines for comp.lang.c++:
    http://www.slack.net/~shiva/welcome.txt

    >If so, can anyone point me in
    > the right direction?

    Try a newsgroup whose name begins with:
    microsoft.public.vc. (if your news server does not offer these
    groups, they're available from MS's server msnews.microsoft.com),

    and/or look at the newsgroups listed at www.msdn.microsoft.com

    -Mike
    Mike Wahler, Aug 26, 2004

  3. Eh, forget it.

    Seems like a library format difference or something. I only needed to
    recompile some old libs, and it worked fine.

    Just shoot me... ;-)
    Morten Aune Lyrstad, Aug 26, 2004
  4. Re: Eh, forget it.

    Morten Aune Lyrstad wrote:
    > Seems like a library format difference or something. I only needed to
    > recompile some old libs, and it worked fine.
    >
    > Just shoot me... ;-)

    Bang! Bang!! BANG!!!
    Victor Bazarov, Aug 26, 2004
  5. Morten Aune Lyrstad

    Pete Becker Guest

    Morten Aune Lyrstad wrote:

    > I just received my copy of vc++.net. When I try to compile an "old" vc60
    > application I suddenly get
    >
    > unresolved external symbol "void __cdecl std::_Xran(void)"
    > (?_Xran@std@@YAXXZ) referenced in function "public: class
    > std::basic_string<char,struct std::char_traits<char>,class
    > std::allocator<char> > & __thiscall std::basic_string<char,

    This usually means that you've using the VC6 headers with the VC7 (i.e.
    ..net) library. If you've got precompiled headers lying around, get rid
    of 'em and try it again. If that doesn't get you going, ask again on
    microsoft.public.vc.stl.

    --

    Pete Becker
    Pete Becker, Aug 26, 2004
  6. Ah, so THAT's it! :) Thanks, I didn't know that!
    Morten Aune Lyrstad, Aug 27, 2004