"Error occurred during initialization of VM" Error Message

Discussion in 'Java' started by Hugo, Apr 1, 2008.

  1. Hugo

    Hugo Guest

    Hi:

    I am receiving the following error message when I shutdown Tomcat:

    "Error occurred during initialization of VM
    Could not reserve enough space for object heap"

    The server has 4GB of RAM and the Tomcat has been set to claim upto
    2GB of memory.

    Any clues on why this message is being received?
     
    Hugo, Apr 1, 2008
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. In article
    <>,
    Hugo <> wrote:

    > Hi:
    >
    > I am receiving the following error message when I shutdown Tomcat:
    >
    > "Error occurred during initialization of VM
    > Could not reserve enough space for object heap"
    >
    > The server has 4GB of RAM and the Tomcat has been set to claim upto
    > 2GB of memory.
    >
    > Any clues on why this message is being received?


    The amount of RAM the server has isn't relevant, it's the amount you try
    to allocate to the JVM's heap. You don't say what platform, but Java
    can't get a full 2GB on most platforms. On Windows, it's something in
    the area of 1600 MB or thereabouts.
    --
    Steve W. Jackson
    Montgomery, Alabama
     
    Steve W. Jackson, Apr 1, 2008
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. On Apr 1, 10:54 am, Hugo <> wrote:
    > Hi:
    >
    > I am receiving the following error message when I shutdown Tomcat:
    >
    > "Error occurred during initialization of VM
    > Could not reserve enough space for object heap"
    >
    > The server has 4GB of RAM and the Tomcat has been set to claim upto
    > 2GB of memory.
    >
    > Any clues on why this message is being received?


    Are you using windows? Then this link may help : http://support.microsoft.com/kb/924054

    Also, try reducing it from 2GB to 1GB and retry.

    -cheers,
    Manish
     
    Manish Pandit, Apr 1, 2008
    #3
  4. Hugo

    Hugo Guest

    On Apr 1, 11:19 am, "Steve W. Jackson" <>
    wrote:
    > In article
    > <>,
    >
    > Hugo <> wrote:
    > > Hi:

    >
    > > I am receiving the following error message when I shutdown Tomcat:

    >
    > > "Error occurred during initialization of VM
    > > Could not reserve enough space for object heap"

    >
    > > The server has 4GB of RAM and the Tomcat has been set to claim upto
    > > 2GB of memory.

    >
    > > Any clues on why this message is being received?

    >
    > The amount of RAM the server has isn't relevant, it's the amount you try
    > to allocate to the JVM's heap. You don't say what platform, but Java
    > can't get a full 2GB on most platforms. On Windows, it's something in
    > the area of 1600 MB or thereabouts.
    > --
    > Steve W. Jackson
    > Montgomery, Alabama


    Hi:

    I am using a Sun V240 with Solaris 9.0 as the operating system.

    Is there a spec document on Sun's website which shows the maximum
    memory Java can claim on various OS? I could not find the data via
    Googling.

    Thanks.
     
    Hugo, Apr 1, 2008
    #4
  5. Hugo

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Tue, 1 Apr 2008 10:54:18 -0700 (PDT), Hugo <>
    wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted someone who said :

    >The server has 4GB of RAM and the Tomcat has been set to claim upto
    >2GB of memory.


    Try cutting that back. Unless you have a 64-bit Java, is not your
    entire address space only 2GB? Your heap could be nowhere near that
    big since so much other junk including DLLs must fit in that same
    address space.

    --

    Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
    The Java Glossary
    http://mindprod.com
     
    Roedy Green, Apr 1, 2008
    #5
  6. Hugo

    Hugo Guest

    On Apr 1, 11:23 am, Manish Pandit <> wrote:
    > On Apr 1, 10:54 am, Hugo <> wrote:
    >
    > > Hi:

    >
    > > I am receiving the following error message when I shutdown Tomcat:

    >
    > > "Error occurred during initialization of VM
    > > Could not reserve enough space for object heap"

    >
    > > The server has 4GB of RAM and the Tomcat has been set to claim upto
    > > 2GB of memory.

    >
    > > Any clues on why this message is being received?

    >
    > Are you using windows? Then this link may help :http://support.microsoft.com/kb/924054
    >
    > Also, try reducing it from 2GB to 1GB and retry.
    >
    > -cheers,
    > Manish


    The JVM is on a Sun V240 server with Solaris 9.0.

    I am currently using 1GB; I would like to increase the memory
    available to the JVM.
     
    Hugo, Apr 1, 2008
    #6
  7. Hugo

    Logan Shaw Guest

    Hugo wrote:
    > On Apr 1, 11:23 am, Manish Pandit <> wrote:
    >> On Apr 1, 10:54 am, Hugo <> wrote:


    >>> I am receiving the following error message when I shutdown Tomcat:
    >>> "Error occurred during initialization of VM
    >>> Could not reserve enough space for object heap"
    >>> The server has 4GB of RAM and the Tomcat has been set to claim upto
    >>> 2GB of memory.


    > The JVM is on a Sun V240 server with Solaris 9.0.


    32-bit or 64-bit JVM? Both seem to be available for SPARC/Solaris
    systems.

    Also, it has been a while since I have used Solaris regularly, but I
    suppose it may still be possible to boot into a 32-bit kernel on that
    OS and hardware. If so, that would be worth checking.

    - Logan
     
    Logan Shaw, Apr 2, 2008
    #7
  8. Hugo

    Nigel Wade Guest

    Hugo wrote:

    > On Apr 1, 11:19 am, "Steve W. Jackson" <>
    > wrote:
    >> In article
    >> <>,
    >>
    >> Hugo <> wrote:
    >> > Hi:

    >>
    >> > I am receiving the following error message when I shutdown Tomcat:

    >>
    >> > "Error occurred during initialization of VM
    >> > Could not reserve enough space for object heap"

    >>
    >> > The server has 4GB of RAM and the Tomcat has been set to claim upto
    >> > 2GB of memory.

    >>
    >> > Any clues on why this message is being received?

    >>
    >> The amount of RAM the server has isn't relevant, it's the amount you try
    >> to allocate to the JVM's heap. You don't say what platform, but Java
    >> can't get a full 2GB on most platforms. On Windows, it's something in
    >> the area of 1600 MB or thereabouts.
    >> --
    >> Steve W. Jackson
    >> Montgomery, Alabama

    >
    > Hi:
    >
    > I am using a Sun V240 with Solaris 9.0 as the operating system.
    >
    > Is there a spec document on Sun's website which shows the maximum
    > memory Java can claim on various OS? I could not find the data via
    > Googling.
    >


    It won't be on the Sun Java site, it's an OS feature not a JVM feature. If it's
    32bit Solaris I don't know what the maximum vm is that you can allocate to a
    process, probably 4GB.

    Besides the overriding OS limitation, there are also limits set by your system
    administrator. These are defined by ulimit. You may need to modify ulimit for
    the Tomcat process to allow it to allocate more virtual memory space. You can
    test it from the command line by running:
    $ java -Xmx2G -version
    it will fail until you set the correct ulimit value.

    E.g. on my system:
    $ ulimit -S -v 2000000
    $ java -Xmx2G -version
    Error occurred during initialization of VM
    Could not reserve enough space for object heap
    Could not create the Java virtual machine.

    $ ulimit -S -v 3000000
    $ java -Xmx2G -version
    java version "1.6.0_01"
    ....

    To increase your ulimit above the hard limit you will need root access.

    --
    Nigel Wade
     
    Nigel Wade, Apr 2, 2008
    #8
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.

Share This Page