error U1073: don't know how to make '/usr/lib/perl5/5.8/cygwin/Config.pm', on win2k, how can I solve

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by ranrodrig, Jan 19, 2007.

  1. ranrodrig

    ranrodrig Guest

    I'm trying to compile some perl pgms on my windows2k Sp3 so I installed
    the following in order to do it:

    ActivePerl 5.8.8.819
    Cygwin 2.510.2.2 (without Perl)
    Parse::Binary module 0.10

    When I run:

    perl Makefile.pl, all is OK

    when I run:

    nmake, I got the error described previously (U1073).

    If I edit the Makefile, I found the following variables:

    LDDLFLAGS = -s -L/usr/local/lib
    LDFLAGS = -s -L/usr/local/lib
    LIBC = /usr/lib/libc.a
    LIB_EXT = .a
    OBJ_EXT = .o
    OSNAME = cygwin
    OSVERS = 1.5.18\(0.13242\)
    RANLIB = :
    SITELIBEXP = /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8
    SITEARCHEXP = /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8/cygwin
    SO = dll
    EXE_EXT = .exe
    FULL_AR = /usr/bin/ar
    VENDORARCHEXP = /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8/cygwin
    VENDORLIBEXP = /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8

    So I think that this error message is related to these variables, but
    as I'm a novice on Perl I don't know what to modify on them in order to
    look for Perl on C:\Perl.

    My question for you Folks would be: Do you know how to modify these env
    variables that look like Linux ones, or if you have experienced this,
    can you tell how did you solve it?.

    BR & TIA for your comments & help.

    Raul.
    ranrodrig, Jan 19, 2007

  2. ranrodrig

    ranrodrig Guest

    Purl, thanks for the info I'm going to check it out.

    Have a nice weekend.

    Purl Gurl ha escrito:

    ranrodrig, Jan 19, 2007

  3. ranrodrig

    Sisyphus Guest

    "ranrodrig" <> wrote in message
    > I'm trying to compile some perl pgms on my windows2k Sp3 so I installed
    > the following in order to do it:
    >
    > ActivePerl 5.8.8.819
    > Cygwin 2.510.2.2 (without Perl)

    ActivePerl doesn't need Cygwin.

    > Parse::Binary module 0.10
    >
    > When I run:
    >
    > perl Makefile.pl, all is OK
    >
    > when I run:
    >
    > nmake, I got the error described previously (U1073).

    Where did you get nmake ?
    There's an old version (1.5, I think) of it available at Microsoft. It's not
    recommended.
    With ActivePerl build 819, you're better off (imo) using dmake (
    http://search.cpan.org/author/SHAY/dmake-4.7-20061120-SHAY/ ) and the MinGW
    compiler ( www.mingw.org ). They're free, and they work seamlessly with
    build 817 onwards.

    > If I edit the Makefile, I found the following variables:
    >
    > LDDLFLAGS = -s -L/usr/local/lib
    > LDFLAGS = -s -L/usr/local/lib
    > LIBC = /usr/lib/libc.a
    > LIB_EXT = .a
    > OBJ_EXT = .o
    > OSNAME = cygwin
    > OSVERS = 1.5.18\(0.13242\)
    > RANLIB = :
    > SITELIBEXP = /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8
    > SITEARCHEXP = /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8/cygwin
    > SO = dll
    > EXE_EXT = .exe
    > FULL_AR = /usr/bin/ar
    > VENDORARCHEXP = /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8/cygwin
    > VENDORLIBEXP = /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8

    This is not a Makefile that ActivePerl would generate. Looks like your
    Cygwin *does* contain a perl afterall - and probably a perl that doesn't
    contain Config.pm. A complete installation of perl on Cygwin *would* contain
    /usr/lib/perl5/5.8/cygwin/Config.pm - and the make program would then have
    nothing to complain about (on that score at least).

    I'm surprised that 'nmake' was able to make any sense of that Makefile - as
    it was apparently generated by Cygwin's perl and would have been written for
    'make', not 'nmake'. Did you actually run 'nmake' ? Or did you run 'make' ?
    (If you want to run 'nmake.exe' you have to enter 'nmake'. If you enter
    'make' then you'll run 'make.exe'.)

    First thing you need to do is decide which perl you want to run - Cygwin or
    ActivePerl. If you decide to run Cygwin's perl then the first thing to do is
    to install the bits of perl that are missing. There's probably a perl devel
    package that needs to be installed.

    As another option, you might consider installing Strawberry Perl (
    http://vanillaperl.com/ ). This is the best option (imo) as it will give you
    perl-5.8.8, dmake, and the MinGW compiler all in one hit - and save you from
    having to download and configure anything. Don't be too concerned about the
    'alpha' status. It's the *package* that's alpha. The individual components
    within that package are tried and true - certainly not 'alpha'.

    Cheers,
    Rob
    Sisyphus, Jan 20, 2007