Errors involving the number -517611318 driving me mad

Michael Daines

Hello,

I keep getting strange intermittent errors in various places with
ruby. At present, I haven't been able to identify when this happens
or really when it started happening. (Though I think it may have
something to do with installing 1.8.3, then not wanting to deal with
the early incompatibilities with Ruby on Rails, and then removing
that, and installing 1.8.2 again.)

The errors look like this:

undefined method `include?' for -517611318:Fixnum

It always happens with the number -517611318, and I can't reproduce
it at will. The only reference to this I can find on the internet is
someone else's page that was indexed by google and had the same
error. See this search:

http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=ruby+%
22-517611318:Fixnum%22&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Does anyone know what to do about this? And what is the significance
of -517611318?

-- Michael Daines

Jeremy Kemper

Eric Hodel

[...]

What is your exact ruby version?

ruby -v

What C extensions do you have loaded?

$".reject { |f| f =~ /.rb$/ }

Bill Kelly

Hi,

From: "Michael Daines said:
I keep getting strange intermittent errors in various places with
ruby. At present, I haven't been able to identify when this happens
or really when it started happening. (Though I think it may have
something to do with installing 1.8.3, then not wanting to deal with
the early incompatibilities with Ruby on Rails, and then removing
that, and installing 1.8.2 again.)

The errors look like this:

undefined method `include?' for -517611318:Fixnum

It always happens with the number -517611318, and I can't reproduce
it at will. The only reference to this I can find on the internet is
someone else's page that was indexed by google and had the same
error. See this search:

http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=ruby+"-517611318:Fixnum"&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Anyone know whether this is still an issue? I see blog posts
about it as recently as a month ago, but I *thought* I recalled
some mention of it being fixed recently.

I'd love to know if this was ever resolved. I'm currently
building 1.8.4 on OS X to embed into our C++ application, and
I'd like to build with whatever compiler version and/or patches
are needed to avoid this problem.

Thanks!

Bill

Eric Hodel

The solution was to switch back to gcc 3.3

No, the problem was much, much less prevalent on gcc 3.3. The
problem has been reported with gcc 3.3 as well.
I'm not sure that it was fixed for gcc 4.0

The root problem might be [ruby-core:7305].

The version of GCC merely tickles whatever the real bug is.

Bill Kelly

From: "Eric Hodel said:
The solution was to switch back to gcc 3.3

No, the problem was much, much less prevalent on gcc 3.3. The
problem has been reported with gcc 3.3 as well.
I'm not sure that it was fixed for gcc 4.0

The root problem might be [ruby-core:7305].

The version of GCC merely tickles whatever the real bug is.

Ah... rats, thanks.

As a followup, then: Has this ever been seen on a non-ppc
architecture build?

Thanks,

Bill