Excited n00b

Mark Carter

I jobby out VBA code for a living, although I use python wherever I can.
I thought I'd try out Ruby to see what all the fuss was about.

So far, I'm impressed. Here's a little proggy that I knocked out to dump
the table structure of a database:

require 'win32ole'

def schema()
@MDB_FILE_NAME = "C:\\mcarter\\srel\\2292-Stargate\\demo.mdb"

# Create the object
conn=WIN32OLE.new("ADODB.Connection")
conn.ConnectionString = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0; Data
Source=\"#{@MDB_FILE_NAME}\""
conn.open

#http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/ado270/htm/mdmthopenschema.asp

#http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/ado270/htm/mdcstschemaenum.asp
adSchemaTables = 20 #constant
rs = conn.OpenSchema(adSchemaTables)
rs.MoveFirst if !rs.eof
while !rs.eof
yield rs
rs.MoveNext
end
rs.close()
conn.close
end

schema { | table |
puts "NEW TABLE"
for field in table.Fields
puts "%-15s %10s" % [field.name, field.value]
end
puts
}

OK, it could do with some refactoring, but I was just trying to get
something working. I think that impresses me about this block stuff is
that it's a really neat way to hide messy implementation details. ADODB
has a slightly strange way of iterating over records (the !rs.eof bit);
but that doesn't matter because it's all hidden away. I just iterate
over the recordset like it was a normal list.

I'm tempted to stick around to see what other goodies Ruby has in store.

What I'm actually trying to do is read a database, bump the date values
of some of the fields, create some new records, and put the result into
a new database. Before I completely re-invent the wheel, is there a ruby
library that is likely to be of assistance?

Robert Klemme

Mark Carter said:
I jobby out VBA code for a living, although I use python wherever I can.
I thought I'd try out Ruby to see what all the fuss was about.

Welcome aboard!
So far, I'm impressed. Here's a little proggy that I knocked out to dump
the table structure of a database:
OK, it could do with some refactoring, but I was just trying to get
something working. I think that impresses me about this block stuff is
that it's a really neat way to hide messy implementation details. ADODB
has a slightly strange way of iterating over records (the !rs.eof bit);
but that doesn't matter because it's all hidden away. I just iterate
over the recordset like it was a normal list.

I'm tempted to stick around to see what other goodies Ruby has in store.

I'm nearly sure you'll stay longer... :)
What I'm actually trying to do is read a database, bump the date values
of some of the fields, create some new records, and put the result into
a new database. Before I completely re-invent the wheel, is there a ruby
library that is likely to be of assistance?

Look at the Ruby DBI/DBD implementations. It typically comes preinstalled
but if you need more, you can look in the RAA http://raa.ruby-lang.org/

There's also other DB handling stuff:
http://raa.ruby-lang.org/cat.rhtml?category_major=Library;category_minor=Database

Kind regards