Execute command on remote server

Sam Palanivel

I know only two methods to execute commend in remote server: RMI and through
web server:

Is there any other method to execute command in remote server?

Thanks

Sam

Jim Cochrane

I know only two methods to execute commend in remote server: RMI and through
web server:

Is there any other method to execute command in remote server?

Write a server that executes a requested command and listens for client
socket connections/requests. Write a client that connects to the server
and requests that a command be executed.

[Note: Your request did not mention any security requirements.]

Tim Jowers

Andrew Thompson said:
Ring the SysOp. Offer beer. ;-)

RPC is the typical one. Telnet sessions are the other.

What do you mean? HTTPS does no exec. ;-) It sends IP packets to a
server applciation.

Do you mean a way to communicate with a remote application, typically
a server or daemon? Yes.

HTTPS Server (aka web server or app server)
listens for IP messages on port 80 or port 443 etc.

RMI (ala Java) listens on 1099 etc. rmid.exe I think is the default
server program for RMI.

So, you want to know what other apps are running on your server with
which you want to communicate. If you hit a server running SNA then
you'll typicall hit certain a port (search the net for "iana port
numbers" for a list of typical port numbers). Yu can also run a port
scan (dumb sw that tries to open a socket to each port number and
saying UDP or TCP. Or really dumb do a telnet servername.com 21 to try
port 21 for instance).

Ahh, the joys of network programming. And you thought I knew some
magical command to send to a server in order to get it to give you a
command prompt? Most of these bugs have been fixed but, unfortunately,
lots more bugs are made every year.

Enough ideas?

Oh yeah, do a search on "social hacking" or something like that. It is
an angle on the "beer" approach. The basic hack is to call and say,
"I'm secretary blondie working for Mr. doofus. He forget password.
Real important. What is it?" The phone hackers used to use the one, "I
from phone co. Please reset root password to stupidme." Don't think
that'll work anymore though. ;-)

I'm just joking. Don't do these stupid things.

Best luck,
TimJowers

Yakov

In J2SE you can also use sockets (read about classes Socket and ServerSocket).

J2EE has more, i.e. JMS, EJB, ....