execute shell script from java

Sudsy

nos wrote:
So tell me then where you can buy a reasonably priced computer
as a person or individual or family member -- I.e. NOT A BUSINESS
that doesn't have WIN on it when you get it? Ok, Wal-Mart.
Can you let me have your copy of WIN XP since you don't use
it and I don't want to pay to upgrade my older machine?

Since you asked...
The last system I picked up cost me $50, used. It included an obsolete
motherboard but fully functional CD-ROM, diskette and hard drive (albeit
only 4GB), power supply, cabinet and fan. I picked up a new m/b and AMD
XP1800+ CPU for less than $200. An extra 1/2 GB of SDRAM cost me just
over $100.
Total system cost: ~$350.
Operating system cost: priceless!

FYI, check out this link:
<http://news.com.com/2100-7344-5156330.html>
You might also want to click on the link describing the situation in
Munchen (Munich).
Linux has become a viable desktop alternative.

ps. To the poster who suggests that this is off-topic, please
recognize that this is a forum for discussion and Java is a
powerful server-side architecture. Platforms which provide
exceptional Java performance should be lauded, no?

Jon A. Cruz

nos said:
More than 5 years ago, Dave Korn got unix to run on top of win NT,
so maybe that is your solution.

No.

NT is really poor as a host platform.

At my last Job, we tried VMWare. When hosting Linux on NT, performance
was horrible. When hosting NT on Linux, both Linux and NT performance
improved. Linux was significant, and NT was mainly noticed in the
networking stability.

Oh, and test were with the same machine, so same hardware. And others at
work had the same experience at home, etc.

In general, as a Java developer I'm much more productive running Linux
on the same hardware instead of Windows. Oh, and before switching to
RedHat 5.2 at home I had been a DevStudio power user with full custom
VBA, macros, etc. And I personally owned VisualC++ and VisuallJ++. After
a few weeks after installing Linux at home just for learning, I mainly
dropped Windows in favor of it since I was so much more productive.

nos

Sudsy said:
nos wrote:

[...]

Last year I bought a 4 year old book for $4 that included a
Red Hat 7.0 disk in the back. I flies pretty good when you
toss it, but it doesn't come back like a genuine boomerang.

Actually, the most useful book I have is the 4 volume set
of "AT&T System V Interface Definition, Third Edition." :)
I especially appreciate the Permuted Index. Maybe you
have seen one.

nos

Jon A. Cruz said:
No.

NT is really poor as a host platform.

At my last Job, we tried VMWare. When hosting Linux on NT, performance
was horrible. When hosting NT on Linux, both Linux and NT performance
improved. Linux was significant, and NT was mainly noticed in the
networking stability.

Oh, and test were with the same machine, so same hardware. And others at
work had the same experience at home, etc.

In general, as a Java developer I'm much more productive running Linux
on the same hardware instead of Windows. Oh, and before switching to
RedHat 5.2 at home I had been a DevStudio power user with full custom
VBA, macros, etc. And I personally owned VisualC++ and VisuallJ++. After
a few weeks after installing Linux at home just for learning, I mainly
dropped Windows in favor of it since I was so much more productive.

I have heard extravagent productivity improvement stories before. Like
"I re-wrote a 5,000,000 line fortran program in just 5,000 lines in forth,
and it was fast too."
Ya, right !

Andrew Thompson

nos wrote:
<pasted from another post in this thread>

I have heard extravagent productivity
improvement stories before.
Ya, right !
Last year I bought a 4 year old book for $4 that included a
Red Hat 7.0 disk in the back.

So, why believe/disbelieve when
you can test for yourself?
..I flies pretty good when you
toss it, but it doesn't come back like a genuine boomerang.

Kinda' reminds me of a comment in this post..
http://groups.google.com/groups?q=knute+eat+group:comp.lang.java.gui

;-)

Sudsy

nos wrote:
Last year I bought a 4 year old book for $4 that included a
Red Hat 7.0 disk in the back. I flies pretty good when you
toss it, but it doesn't come back like a genuine boomerang.

Actually, the most useful book I have is the 4 volume set
of "AT&T System V Interface Definition, Third Edition." :)
I especially appreciate the Permuted Index. Maybe you
have seen one.

Actually, and again since you raised the issue, I DO have the
SVID. I also earned the UNIX license plate, a badge of honour
in the early days. It was handed down to administrators and
systems programmers who had attained the "guru" level of
knowledge, decades before Sun certification.
Of course that was back in the days of PWB (Programmers Work-
Bench), halfway between V6 and V7...
So to bring this back on-topic, it's my experience that the
best platform for production Java deployment is a variant
(any variant, really) of UNIX. The memory model and kernel
architecture, combined with fast context switching, is far
more conducive to 24x7 ops than a program launcher which has
to be rebooted once a week in order to avoid mysterious
service hangs and the "blue screen of death".
I couldn't even imagine trying to run a complex architecture
using IIS, ASP and .NET.
But, as always, YMMV.

Jon A. Cruz

nos said:
I have heard extravagent productivity improvement stories before. Like
"I re-wrote a 5,000,000 line fortran program in just 5,000 lines in forth,
and it was fast too."
Ya, right !

Well, if you looked at my post a little more closely, you'd see that

A) it wasn't "extravagent[SP]"

B) I gave details that should make it easy for others to test independently.

For my latter paragraph, I'll give more details.

Hardware:
CPU Pentium 133
RAM 48 MB
HardDrives 2GB main drive, 1GB 'work' drive. My linux partition out of
that started as 700MB, then grew to 1MB as I started to pull and build
the Gimp.

For doing Java work, Emacs + JDEE under Linux (RedHat 5.2) was much
faster than VJ++ under Windows95 (OSR2).

There are many well known performance issues with Windows setups
requiring 'heftier' hardware. On of the first that Java programmers
encounter is Windows95's timer resolution of only 55ms, and NT's limit
of 10ms as opposed to Linux's resolution of 1ms.

Eamcs:
http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/emacs.html

JDEE:
http://jdee.sunsite.dk/

Emacs is a very mature developers environment. Remember, it's been
developed by developers for developers with no marketing departments to
get in the way. The main drawback most cite is that it's keyboard
commands are hard to learn. That is probably true, however it comes from
trying to make it faster to *use*. Most Emacs users get things down into
muscle-memory, and thus are very fast with it.

Also, it's extensibility is top-notch. Just in the first week of using
it I found things that DevStudio couldn't:

* Delimit different types of whitespace differently (internal tabs,
internal spaces, trailing tabs&spaces, etc).

* Control indention. Emacs has many different styles support, plus has
most things parameterized so that it's easy to tune things to the exact
coding style needed. Plus it re-indents as you work, instead of only
indenting for the start of a new line.

Those, and the speed of editing, change my 'learn linux' home plan. At
first I was going to just boot into it now and then for an hour or two
to start learning. Instead, I ended up staying and working in Linux for
a full week before rebooting back to Windows.

Then of course after that Microsoft updated VJ++ to 6.0 and made it just
plain unusable. They switched to rebuiding the class tree every time you
entered a new line. Not to bad for small snippets, but killed
performance as the delay exploded exponentially as the source file size
went to anything other that trivially small.

nos

Sudsy said:
nos wrote:

[...]

Ok, now that it seems like we are just shooting the bull about UNIX.
I read a book a number of years ago on POSIX implementation of UNIX.
I was initially astonished to see that the POSIX implementation of a
semaphore is to use (at least back then) a driver (as in device driver.)
After a while, it started to make sense. Drivers can take care of priority
and queuing stuff.

nos

Jon A. Cruz said:
nos said:
[...]

Sorry if I upset you, I was primarily:

chain.pull();

I used emacs for over 10 years and it is great. I believe it is now
available
in some form for windows.
I used UNIX for the last 20 years for work, only windoze for little stuff at
home.
I have no real complaints about UNIX, my main problem with windows is
that every now and then it starts doing something (I can see the disk light
start to glow and the performance and networking graphs start to bump up)
and I didn't ask it to, nor do I have a clue as to what it is actually
doing.
Plus, I read somewhere (Kim Komando maybe) that windows continually
uses up memory so that you have to reboot periodically. I am saved only
by habit of powering down between uses (for security reasons mostly.)

Cheers,
nos

kaeli

OP did not specify therefore the default environment
is in effect. Since everyone has windows, it is the default.
Some users may also have unix or linux, but that is only cuz
it is forced on them by their job.

Some people actually have a Mac.
*gasp*