Executible Jar help

Aaron

I have been trying for a couple of days now trying to get this to
work. As the title says I am trying to make a executible jar. As
this is my first attempt (besides the netbeans colorexample tutorial)
it has been a struggle. On top of that, this is not my code but a
project my boss has handed to me.

The general information:
WinXP
Java version 1.4.2

The setup:
Basedir: mainclass.java (contains main) ....<about 30 more .java>
jai_codec.jar plot.jar

subdir: ptolemy (contains two subdirs plot and gui)

subsubdir: gui(uses .java in here)

subsubdir plot (uses .java in here)

from the basedir I compile from command prompt using:
javac -classpath .;jai_codec.jar;plot.jar;ptolemy\plot;ptolemy\gui
*.java

no errors.

then I create the jar:
jar -cf mainclass.jar *.class *.jar ptolemy\plot\*.class
ptolemy\gui\*.class

no errors.

then I add the manifest
jar -umf manifest.mf javapeno.jar

no errors.

When I double click on the jar i recive the very helpful error:
Could not find the main class. Program will exit.

When I try through the command prompt with:
java -jar mainclass
I recieve the error message:
Exception in thread "main" java.util.zip.ZipException: The system
cannot find the file specified

if I use the same command but include the .jar (as some readings I
read somewhere suggested to try) i receive:
mainclass/mainclass

I have even tried:
java -jar C:\PATHTOFILE\mainclass
and that produced:
Exception in thread "main" java.util.zip.ZipExceptin: Access is denied

and if I tried it with the .jar exetension that produced the same
results as the last try with the extension.

The manifest.mf file contains:
Main-Class: mainclass.mainclass
Class-Path: .;jai_codec.jar;plot.jar;ptolemy\plot;ptolemy\gui
|BLANK LINE HERE|

I could not find a general agreement as to whether the class-path
actually does anything in it so that is why that is there.

One final note: The program does run as a general java application,
so I am confident in the code, as much as I can be without have
written it.

As I said this is my first time dealing with jars so please do not
skip trivial steps in whatever help you may provide and please be
patient with my attempts.

Aaron