Executing an external third party application and not waiting for it to complete

Daz

Hi everyone,

Sorry about the long thread name, I think that my problem is that I
don't know how to word it, which is why I have been unsuccessful
finding the information I require.

I am trying to execute an html document (to open in the default
browser), but as a result, my program waits for the document to be
closed before my program will terminate. What I need to find is a way
to run a third party app, and for my program to stop waiting for the
third party application to terminate. I have seen something about
before, but I'll be damned if I can find it now I actually need it...
Please could someone recommend a method for me to look into in order to
achieve what I want, or would it be platform specific?

Daz

Ian Collins

Daz said:
Hi everyone,

Sorry about the long thread name, I think that my problem is that I
don't know how to word it, which is why I have been unsuccessful
finding the information I require.

I am trying to execute an html document (to open in the default
browser), but as a result, my program waits for the document to be
closed before my program will terminate. What I need to find is a way
to run a third party app, and for my program to stop waiting for the
third party application to terminate. I have seen something about
before, but I'll be damned if I can find it now I actually need it...
Please could someone recommend a method for me to look into in order to
achieve what I want, or would it be platform specific?

I'm afraid the answer is platform specific, so you'll have to go
elsewhere. Ask about spawning or forking another process, which you can
use to run your third party application.

Daz

Ian said:
I'm afraid the answer is platform specific, so you'll have to go
elsewhere. Ask about spawning or forking another process, which you can
use to run your third party application.

Spawning or forking? Right, no worries. Thanks Colin! :)

Ian Collins

It is normal practice on Usenet not to quote people's signatures
(delimited by -- ).
Spawning or forking? Right, no worries. Thanks Colin! :)
It's Ian. I forgot to mention that on a UNIX like platform, you can put
an ampersand after the command you pass to system().

Daz

Ian said:
It is normal practice on Usenet not to quote people's signatures
(delimited by -- ).
It's Ian. I forgot to mention that on a UNIX like platform, you can put
an ampersand after the command you pass to system().

My humble apologies Ian. I've no idea how I managed to misread your
name.

Many thanks again

Daz

Daz said:
Hi everyone,

Sorry about the long thread name, I think that my problem is that I
don't know how to word it, which is why I have been unsuccessful
finding the information I require.

I am trying to execute an html document (to open in the default
browser), but as a result, my program waits for the document to be
closed before my program will terminate. What I need to find is a way
to run a third party app, and for my program to stop waiting for the
third party application to terminate. I have seen something about
before, but I'll be damned if I can find it now I actually need it...
Please could someone recommend a method for me to look into in order to
achieve what I want, or would it be platform specific?

Daz

Problem sorted. I just created a simple batch file to execute the htm
doc in question.