executing commands in the same shell in Windows using Perl

Murugesh

Hi all,
I need to execute a series a commands inside the same shell in
Windows.As system() spaws a new shell,how can we do it.
command1 and command2 should be executed in the same shell unlike the
following.
system("command1");
system("command2");

Appreciate any help on this.

Thanks,
Appu

usenet

Murugesh said:
I need to execute a series a commands inside the same shell in
Windows.As system() spaws a new shell,how can we do it.

Read the documentation for the function you're using:

perldoc -f system

Which will tell you that that's not actually the function you want to
use (note the discussion about other methods, such as exec and
BACKTICKS (hint, hint).

Daniel

I need to execute a series a commands inside the same shell in
Windows.As system() spaws a new shell,how can we do it.
command1 and command2 should be executed in the same shell unlike the
following.
system("command1");
system("command2");

Write all commands into a temporary batch file and then run that. Read
and use File::Temp and also read what David wrote. He might be right.

Daniel

xhoster

Murugesh said:
Hi all,
I need to execute a series a commands inside the same shell in
Windows.As system() spaws a new shell,how can we do it.
command1 and command2 should be executed in the same shell unlike the
following.
system("command1");
system("command2");

Appreciate any help on this.

How do you execute more than one command on the command line on Windows.AS?

On unix, I do:

system("command1; command2")
or
system("command1\ncommand2")

Maybe something similar will work with Windows.AS.

Xho

xhoster

Read the documentation for the function you're using:

perldoc -f system

Which will tell you that that's not actually the function you want to
use (note the discussion about other methods, such as exec and
BACKTICKS (hint, hint).

I don't see how backticks will help do what the OP wants done. He said
nothing about capturing the output.

Xho

l v

How do you execute more than one command on the command line on Windows.AS?

On unix, I do:

system("command1; command2")
or
system("command1\ncommand2")

Maybe something similar will work with Windows.AS.

Xho

I've done this before on windows 2000 command line resulting in 3
appropiate directory listings:
dir d:\*.* d:\*.txt dir c:\*.*

Although I do not have this spawning problem on any of my servers
running Activestate perl, v5.6.1 build 631. What are the commands you
are running in sequence? Are they truly command line programs? Could
the programs you call spawn themselves?

Len