executionTimeout problem

Greg

Hi all,

I have run into a problem that I cannot explain easilly. We run an ASP.NET
web application where sometimes needs to serve some long running operations.
These long running operations run in a multithreaded component installed in
COM+ that can take up to 7mins.

We have setup the web.config of the web app to drop requests that run more
than 3mins by setting the "executionTimeout" attribute the value of 180.

We would expect that if a user tries to request for an operation that will
take more than 3 mins to be dropped and request time error to appear.

What we see though is that the error appears at the end of the request. i.e.
if the operation takes 7mins the time out error will appear after 7mins. We
would expect to see the error after the 3 minutes which is the timeout we
set not at the end of the operation.

Has anybody experience something like that?

P.S.
The problem is easilly replicated if you create a test page and in the Load
event use the Thread.Sleep method with an appropriate duration to simulate
the long running operation.

Thanks in advance,
Greg.

Greg

It is in release mode. The debug attribute is set to false in the
compilation element of the web.config

Many Thanks
Greg.