execve system call

neojia

hi,

I am trying to figure out the system call from user space to kernel
space. So, I read glibc wrapper first. But I cannot figure out the
exact meaning of INTERNAL_SYSCALL for execve system call on IA32 arch.
In this macro, which function will be called by the following assmebly
code ""call *%%gs:%P2\n\t"?

Is there anyone can help me clarify it?

Thanks,
Neo

Ulrich Eckhardt

I am trying to figure out the system call from user space to kernel
space. So, I read glibc wrapper first. But I cannot figure out the
exact meaning of INTERNAL_SYSCALL for execve system call on IA32 arch.
In this macro, which function will be called by the following assmebly
code ""call *%%gs:%P2\n\t"?

Is there anyone can help me clarify it?

This is outside the scope of general C programming, as it is very
system-dependent. I'm not exactly sure where that code is, but I guess
that you should take that to the glibc people or maybe to the Linux people
(assuming it really is Linux that you are running that code with). I'd
suggest comp.os.linux.development.system, for example.

Uli

SM Ryan

# hi,
#
# I am trying to figure out the system call from user space to kernel
# space. So, I read glibc wrapper first. But I cannot figure out the
# exact meaning of INTERNAL_SYSCALL for execve system call on IA32 arch.
# In this macro, which function will be called by the following assmebly
# code ""call *%%gs:%P2\n\t"?

Unless you're interested in learning a kernel, the mechanics of the
call are irrelevant. What you should concern yourself with is the
interface, as described in the man page or other, and not the
implementation.

# Thanks,
# Neo

The two dimensional array has you.

CBFalconer

I am trying to figure out the system call from user space to
kernel space. So, I read glibc wrapper first. But I cannot figure
out the exact meaning of INTERNAL_SYSCALL for execve system call
on IA32 arch. In this macro, which function will be called by the
following assmebly code ""call *%%gs:%P2\n\t"?

Read the following links.

--
Some useful references about C:
<http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/C-faq/top.html> (C-faq)