    martin@ | Martin Gregorie
    gregorie. | Essex, UK
    org |

    Martin Gregorie, Mar 24, 2012

  2. Martin Gregorie

    Marty Blake Guest

    On 24/03/2012 5:37 PM, Martin Gregorie wrote:
    > Can anybody recommend a good EXIF tag handling Java package?

    Install Java ImageIO and the TIFF plugin for ImageIO and you can get at
    (and modify) JPEG EXIF tags using ImageIO. I'm not sure about other
    formats (except TIFF should work).

    Marty Blake, Mar 25, 2012

  3. On Sat, 24 Mar 2012 23:13:46 -0400, Marty Blake wrote:

    > On 24/03/2012 5:37 PM, Martin Gregorie wrote:
    >> Can anybody recommend a good EXIF tag handling Java package?

    > Install Java ImageIO and the TIFF plugin for ImageIO and you can get at
    > (and modify) JPEG EXIF tags using ImageIO. I'm not sure about other
    > formats (except TIFF should work).

    Thanks for that. It looks like all this is in the javax.imageio.*
    packages.

    I've had a look at the docs for these packages, including the plugins,
    and frankly I'm baffled and/or confused. There are packages that define
    the tags but nothing that I can find that can, for instance, read or
    write tags from something like a BufferedImage. Is there a tutorial or
    other how-to that covers classes that provide accesss to EXIF tags?

    --
    martin@ | Martin Gregorie
    gregorie. | Essex, UK

    Martin Gregorie, Mar 25, 2012
  4. Martin Gregorie

    Jeff Higgins Guest

    On 03/25/2012 09:09 AM, Martin Gregorie wrote:
    > On Sat, 24 Mar 2012 23:13:46 -0400, Marty Blake wrote:
    >
    >> On 24/03/2012 5:37 PM, Martin Gregorie wrote:
    >>> Can anybody recommend a good EXIF tag handling Java package?

    >> Install Java ImageIO and the TIFF plugin for ImageIO and you can get at
    >> (and modify) JPEG EXIF tags using ImageIO. I'm not sure about other
    >> formats (except TIFF should work).
    >>

    > Thanks for that. It looks like all this is in the javax.imageio.*
    > packages.
    >
    > I've had a look at the docs for these packages, including the plugins,
    > and frankly I'm baffled and/or confused. There are packages that define
    > the tags but nothing that I can find that can, for instance, read or
    > write tags from something like a BufferedImage. Is there a tutorial or
    > other how-to that covers classes that provide accesss to EXIF tags?

    This may help. May not too. Pretty old.
    <http://www.barregren.se/blog/how-read-exif-and-iptc-java-image-i-o-api>
    A possible bug.
    <http://george.i.ph/blogs/george/2007/09/06/read-and-write-jpeg-exif-using-the-javaximageiometadata-package/>
    Links to the "standard" and "native" metadata formats.
    <http://docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/api/javax/imageio/metadata/package-summary.html>
    The parser library referenced in the first link above.
    <http://code.google.com/p/metadata-extractor/>

    Jeff Higgins, Mar 25, 2012
  5. Martin Gregorie

    Jeff Higgins Guest

    On 03/25/2012 11:42 AM, Jeff Higgins wrote:
    > On 03/25/2012 09:09 AM, Martin Gregorie wrote:

    >>> Install Java ImageIO and the TIFF plugin for ImageIO and you can get at
    >>> (and modify) JPEG EXIF tags using ImageIO. I'm not sure about other
    >>> formats (except TIFF should work).
    >>>

    >> Thanks for that. It looks like all this is in the javax.imageio.*
    >> packages.
    >>
    >> I've had a look at the docs for these packages, including the plugins,
    >> and frankly I'm baffled and/or confused. There are packages that define
    >> the tags but nothing that I can find that can, for instance, read or
    >> write tags from something like a BufferedImage. Is there a tutorial or
    >> other how-to that covers classes that provide accesss to EXIF tags?
    >>

    > This may help. May not too. Pretty old.
    > <http://www.barregren.se/blog/how-read-exif-and-iptc-java-image-i-o-api>

    Link to source broken, found a copyhere:
    <http://files.codes-sources.com/fichier_fullscreen.aspx?id=35614&f=GestionDimagesNumeriques [javaFR]\src\com\picturegrid\imageio\metadata\ImageIOMetadataDemo.java>

    Jeff Higgins, Mar 25, 2012
  6. On Sun, 25 Mar 2012 11:42:30 -0400, Jeff Higgins wrote:

    > On 03/25/2012 09:09 AM, Martin Gregorie wrote:

    >>> Install Java ImageIO and the TIFF plugin for ImageIO and you can get
    >>> at (and modify) JPEG EXIF tags using ImageIO. I'm not sure about other
    >>> formats (except TIFF should work).
    >>>

    >> Thanks for that. It looks like all this is in the javax.imageio.*
    >> packages.
    >>
    >> I've had a look at the docs for these packages, including the plugins,
    >> and frankly I'm baffled and/or confused. There are packages that define
    >> the tags but nothing that I can find that can, for instance, read or
    >> write tags from something like a BufferedImage. Is there a tutorial or
    >> other how-to that covers classes that provide accesss to EXIF tags?
    >>

    > This may help. May not too. Pretty old.
    > <http://www.barregren.se/blog/how-read-exif-and-iptc-java-image-i-o-api>
    > A possible bug.
    > <http://george.i.ph/blogs/george/2007/09/06/read-and-write-jpeg-exif-

    using-the-javaximageiometadata-package/>
    > Links to the "standard" and "native" metadata formats.
    > <http://docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/api/javax/imageio/metadata/

    package-summary.html>
    > The parser library referenced in the first link above.
    > <http://code.google.com/p/metadata-extractor/>

    Thanks for those links. That Google parser is read-only, but its
    documentation looks useful.

    Just now I thought to look at Apache Commons and found the Sanselan
    package, which does a similar job to the javax.imagio.* stuff but as a
    free-standing package and, unlike them, it includes EXIF read/write
    abilities.

    Its interesting that all this stuff is about the same age: Java 1.4 or 5
    and none of it seems to have been updated since. Maybe, since nothing has
    changed in the JPEG/TIFF worlds since then it hasn't needed any updates,
    though as its all decidedly light on documentation, some changes there
    would be nice for those of us who don't understand the structure of image
    files: another common thread in all these packages is that the authors
    all appear to assume that everybody is an expert on image files and their
    contents.

    --
    martin@ | Martin Gregorie
    gregorie. | Essex, UK

    Martin Gregorie, Mar 25, 2012
  7. Martin Gregorie

    Jeff Higgins Guest

    On 03/25/2012 12:46 PM, Martin Gregorie wrote:

    > Just now I thought to look at Apache Commons and found the Sanselan
    > package, which does a similar job to the javax.imagio.* stuff but as a
    > free-standing package and, unlike them, it includes EXIF read/write
    > abilities.

    Great! Thanks for the tip.:)

    Jeff Higgins, Mar 25, 2012
  8. On Sun, 25 Mar 2012 12:22:23 -0400, Jeff Higgins wrote:

    > On 03/25/2012 11:42 AM, Jeff Higgins wrote:

    >>> Thanks for that. It looks like all this is in the javax.imageio.*
    >>> packages.
    >>>
    >>> I've had a look at the docs for these packages, including the plugins,
    >>> and frankly I'm baffled and/or confused. There are packages that
    >>> define the tags but nothing that I can find that can, for instance,
    >>> read or write tags from something like a BufferedImage. Is there a
    >>> tutorial or other how-to that covers classes that provide accesss to
    >>> EXIF tags?
    >>>

    >> This may help. May not too. Pretty old.
    >> <http://www.barregren.se/blog/how-read-exif-and-iptc-java-image-i-o-

    api>

    > Link to source broken, found a copyhere:
    > <http://files.codes-sources.com/fichier_fullscreen.aspx?

    id=35614&f=GestionDimagesNumeriques+[javaFR]\src\com\picturegrid\imageio
    \metadata\ImageIOMetadataDemo.java>

    >> A possible bug.
    >> <http://george.i.ph/blogs/george/2007/09/06/read-and-write-jpeg-exif-

    using-the-javaximageiometadata-package/>

    >> Links to the "standard" and "native" metadata formats.
    >> <http://docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/api/javax/imageio/metadata/

    package-summary.html>

    >> The parser library referenced in the first link above.
    >> <http://code.google.com/p/metadata-extractor/>

    Thanks for the URL correction.

    --
    martin@ | Martin Gregorie
    gregorie. | Essex, UK

    Martin Gregorie, Mar 25, 2012
  9. On Sun, 25 Mar 2012 12:59:09 -0400, Jeff Higgins wrote:

    > On 03/25/2012 12:46 PM, Martin Gregorie wrote:
    >>
    >> Just now I thought to look at Apache Commons and found the Sanselan
    >> package, which does a similar job to the javax.imagio.* stuff but as a
    >> free-standing package and, unlike them, it includes EXIF read/write
    >> abilities.
    >>

    > Great! Thanks for the tip.:)

    I meant to add the obligatory question: has anybody used Sanselan?
    http://commons.apache.org/sanselan/

    If so, I'd appreciate hearing about that.

    --
    martin@ | Martin Gregorie
    gregorie. | Essex, UK

    Martin Gregorie, Mar 25, 2012
  10. On 3/24/2012 2:37 PM, Martin Gregorie wrote:
    > Can anybody recommend a good EXIF tag handling Java package?
    >
    > I need to use it for reading and writing 'Comment' tags in at least JPG
    > files, and preferably for more image types than just JPG. I found out, by
    > experimenting with exiftool, that both PNG and GIF files also support the
    > 'Comment' tag.
    >
    > I have found a couple of packages (Thang To's javaexif and Thomas Lane's
    > Mediautil package), both dating from 2006 or so and both largely
    > uncommented, which doesn't make them exactly easy to use.

    Martin:

    There used to be a big JAI/ImageIO users list that I belonged to several
    years ago. I don't know if JAI is still relevant but I would think that
    would be a good place to look for EXIF info.

    I found this website: http://java.net/projects/jai-imageio/.

    Hope that helps.

    --

    Knute Johnson

    Knute Johnson, Mar 25, 2012
  11. Martin Gregorie

    Jeff Higgins Guest

    On 03/25/2012 01:15 PM, Martin Gregorie wrote:
    > On Sun, 25 Mar 2012 12:59:09 -0400, Jeff Higgins wrote:
    >
    >> On 03/25/2012 12:46 PM, Martin Gregorie wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Just now I thought to look at Apache Commons and found the Sanselan
    >>> package, which does a similar job to the javax.imagio.* stuff but as a
    >>> free-standing package and, unlike them, it includes EXIF read/write
    >>> abilities.
    >>>

    >> Great! Thanks for the tip.:)

    > I meant to add the obligatory question: has anybody used Sanselan?
    > http://commons.apache.org/sanselan/
    >
    > If so, I'd appreciate hearing about that.

    Well, just now.
    Here's an interesting thread of discussion.
    <http://www.mail-archive.com//msg07446.html>

    Jeff Higgins, Mar 25, 2012
  12. On Sun, 25 Mar 2012 10:46:32 -0700, Knute Johnson wrote:

    > On 3/24/2012 2:37 PM, Martin Gregorie wrote:
    >> Can anybody recommend a good EXIF tag handling Java package?
    >>
    >> I need to use it for reading and writing 'Comment' tags in at least JPG
    >> files, and preferably for more image types than just JPG. I found out,
    >> by experimenting with exiftool, that both PNG and GIF files also
    >> support the 'Comment' tag.
    >>
    >> I have found a couple of packages (Thang To's javaexif and Thomas
    >> Lane's Mediautil package), both dating from 2006 or so and both largely
    >> uncommented, which doesn't make them exactly easy to use.
    >>

    > Martin:
    >
    > There used to be a big JAI/ImageIO users list that I belonged to several
    > years ago. I don't know if JAI is still relevant but I would think that
    > would be a good place to look for EXIF info.
    >
    > I found this website: http://java.net/projects/jai-imageio/.

    Added to my list of Java image sources. Thanks.

    --
    martin@ | Martin Gregorie
    gregorie. | Essex, UK

    Martin Gregorie, Mar 25, 2012
  13. On Sun, 25 Mar 2012 14:08:34 -0400, Jeff Higgins wrote:

    > On 03/25/2012 01:15 PM, Martin Gregorie wrote:

    >>> Great! Thanks for the tip.:)

    >> I meant to add the obligatory question: has anybody used Sanselan?
    >> http://commons.apache.org/sanselan/
    >>
    >> If so, I'd appreciate hearing about that.
    >>

    > Well, just now.
    > Here's an interesting thread of discussion.
    > <http://www.mail-archive.com//msg07446.html>

    Yep. That ties in pretty well with the state of the javadocs
    documentation for it.

    --
    martin@ | Martin Gregorie
    gregorie. | Essex, UK

    Martin Gregorie, Mar 25, 2012
  14. In article <jkleq5$dhh$>,
    Martin Gregorie <> wrote:

    > Can anybody recommend a good EXIF tag handling Java package?
    >
    > I need to use it for reading and writing 'Comment' tags in at least
    > JPG files, and preferably for more image types than just JPG. I found
    > out, by experimenting with exiftool, that both PNG and GIF files also
    > support the 'Comment' tag.
    >
    > I have found a couple of packages (Thang To's javaexif and Thomas
    > Lane's Mediautil package), both dating from 2006 or so and both
    > largely uncommented, which doesn't make them exactly easy to use.

    For reference, ImageJ [1] includes the Exif_Reader [2] plugin, which is
    based on Drew Noakes' Exif Metadata Library. The plugin is read-only,
    but handy.

    [1] <http://rsbweb.nih.gov/ij/>
    [2] <http://rsbweb.nih.gov/ij/plugins/exif-reader.html>
    [3] <http://www.drewnoakes.com/code/exif>

    --
    John B. Matthews
    trashgod at gmail dot com

    John B. Matthews, Mar 25, 2012
  15. Thanks to all of you who have responded. I should have enough information
    now to be able to dig into the issue of adding comments to images in the
    form of EXIF tags.

    Perhaps I should explain what I'm doing. I have a Java program, run
    overnight as a cron job, that can walk a directory tree and decorate it
    with a thumbnail of every new or modified image it finds. As I run an in-
    house webserver, this is enough to let a PHP script generate on-the-fly
    menus from directories in the tree which contain clickable links to all
    files in the directory. Links to images display the thumbnail as part of
    that menu entry. However, this doesn't work if you simply point a browser
    at a local copy of the directory structure, so the Java program can also
    generate a linked set of static menus that work in the same way for
    people who don't run a web server.

    This is working reliably and well. It has met my design target of
    automatically indexing sets of images as they are dropped on a hard drive
    so they can be scrolled through using smaller images that those can be
    selected so the full resolution image can be seen.

    Now I'd like to display descriptions, when they are available, under the
    thumbnails.

    Thanks to all of you I now know that I can write a program to add the
    descriptions to the images as EXIF 'Comment' tags and in parallel I've
    checked that PHP can extract the content of those tags in order to add
    them to the on-the-fly menus and that Java can do the same for the static
    menus.

    The only issue is speed: the PHP library routines to check that the image
    is the right type to have EXIF tags and to extract the tags require each
    image to be read several times: (1) to display the thumbnail, (2) to see
    if it is the right type to hold tags [this can probably be skipped] and
    (3) to extract the Comment tag's content. Currently only (1) happens, so
    I need to benchmark things to see if the PHP script is fast enough to
    support extracting captions from EXIF tags: this is not a consideration
    for the Java menu builder since this is never run when a user wants to
    see an list of images *right now*.

    If the PHP menu generator is unacceptably slow when dealing with EXIF
    tags, I'll use the aesthetically ugly trick of keeping the captions as a
    separate CSV list (filename,caption) which will probably be faster since
    at the start of the run it can be loaded into a Hashtable (Java) or
    associative array (PHP) once and will stay in memory while the menu
    builder is running.

    Thanks again for your help.

    --
    martin@ | Martin Gregorie
    gregorie. | Essex, UK

    Martin Gregorie, Mar 26, 2012
  16. Martin Gregorie

    Lew Guest

    Martin Gregorie wrote:
    > If the PHP menu generator is unacceptably slow when dealing with EXIF
    > tags, I'll use the aesthetically ugly trick of keeping the captions as a
    > separate CSV list (filename,caption) which will probably be faster since
    > at the start of the run it can be loaded into a Hashtable (Java) or
    > associative array (PHP) once and will stay in memory while the menu
    > builder is running.

    I recommend against use of 'java.util.Hashtable' in favor of the modern (since 1998) 'Map' implementations.

    --
    Lew

    Lew, Mar 26, 2012
  17. On Mon, 26 Mar 2012 11:56:10 -0700, Lew wrote:

    > Martin Gregorie wrote:
    >> If the PHP menu generator is unacceptably slow when dealing with EXIF
    >> tags, I'll use the aesthetically ugly trick of keeping the captions as
    >> a separate CSV list (filename,caption) which will probably be faster
    >> since at the start of the run it can be loaded into a Hashtable (Java)
    >> or associative array (PHP) once and will stay in memory while the menu
    >> builder is running.

    > I recommend against use of 'java.util.Hashtable' in favor of the modern
    > (since 1998) 'Map' implementations.

    Thanks for that. My normal default is to use a TreeMap. It maybe a bit
    slower, but its surprising how often the implied ordering turns out to be
    useful, if only for debugging.

    I've just upgraded my PHP on-the-fly menu generator to display EXIF
    Copyright and Comment tags and given it a fairly thorough bashing. I've
    run it against fairly large lists of images, up to 300 photos averaging
    2.0 MB each, which don't yet contain either Copyright or Comment tags.
    Menu generation is a little slower than before, but not enough to be a
    show stopper, so I'll implement the bulk comment insertion program rather
    than using an external comments list. Game on!

    --
    martin@ | Martin Gregorie
    gregorie. | Essex, UK

    Martin Gregorie, Mar 26, 2012
  18. On Mon, 26 Mar 2012 11:56:10 -0700, Lew wrote:

    > Martin Gregorie wrote:
    >> If the PHP menu generator is unacceptably slow when dealing with EXIF
    >> tags, I'll use the aesthetically ugly trick of keeping the captions as
    >> a separate CSV list (filename,caption) which will probably be faster
    >> since at the start of the run it can be loaded into a Hashtable (Java)
    >> or associative array (PHP) once and will stay in memory while the menu
    >> builder is running.

    > I recommend against use of 'java.util.Hashtable' in favor of the modern
    > (since 1998) 'Map' implementations.

    Noted. I only considered Hashtable because they are favoured by some of
    the javax.imageio.* packages - scarecely surprising since most of these
    packages seem to have been around since at least Java 1.4.

    --
    martin@ | Martin Gregorie
    gregorie. | Essex, UK

    Martin Gregorie, Mar 26, 2012
  19. Martin Gregorie

    Lew Guest

    On Monday, March 26, 2012 12:52:10 PM UTC-7, Martin Gregorie wrote:
    > On Mon, 26 Mar 2012 11:56:10 -0700, Lew wrote:
    >
    > > Martin Gregorie wrote:
    > >> If the PHP menu generator is unacceptably slow when dealing with EXIF
    > >> tags, I'll use the aesthetically ugly trick of keeping the captions as
    > >> a separate CSV list (filename,caption) which will probably be faster
    > >> since at the start of the run it can be loaded into a Hashtable (Java)
    > >> or associative array (PHP) once and will stay in memory while the menu
    > >> builder is running.

    > > I recommend against use of 'java.util.Hashtable' in favor of the modern
    > > (since 1998) 'Map' implementations.

    > Noted. I only considered Hashtable because they are favoured by some of
    > the javax.imageio.* packages - scarecely surprising since most of these
    > packages seem to have been around since at least Java 1.4.

    Very, very surprising since the modern collections classes were introduced in Java 1.2 and the javax.imageio package in Java 1.4.

    You should check the Javadocs.

    --
    Lew

    Lew, Mar 26, 2012
  20. On Mon, 26 Mar 2012 13:29:00 -0700, Lew wrote:

    > On Monday, March 26, 2012 12:52:10 PM UTC-7, Martin Gregorie wrote:

    >> > I recommend against use of 'java.util.Hashtable' in favor of the
    >> > modern (since 1998) 'Map' implementations.

    >> Noted. I only considered Hashtable because they are favoured by some of
    >> the javax.imageio.* packages - scarecely surprising since most of these
    >> packages seem to have been around since at least Java 1.4.

    > Very, very surprising since the modern collections classes were
    > introduced in Java 1.2 and the javax.imageio package in Java 1.4.
    >
    > You should check the Javadocs.

    I did: for some operations you need to use a filter which is based
    java.awt.image.ImageFilter. This gets passed properties via the
    setProperties(Hashtable<?,?>) method.

    --
    martin@ | Martin Gregorie
    gregorie. | Essex, UK