expected constructor, destructor, or type conversion before '*'

Preben

Hi,

I get this error when trying to compile:
--------
# g++ -c KGreyImage.cpp
KGreyImage.cpp:25: error: expected constructor, destructor, or type
conversion before '*' token
--------

and the code is given here:
--------
#include <vector>

/** defines fuer Funktion KGreyImage<T>::edges(), geben an, was nach der
Berechnung des Gradientenbetrags
// noch alles gemacht werden soll
*/
#define SUPPRESS_NONMAXIMA 1
#define DOUBLE_THRESHOLDING 2
#define CANNY 3

template<class T> class KGreyImage {

private:

/** diese structs werden von ::findDots() benoetigt*/
struct point {
double x;
double y;
double mindist[5];
int neighbor[5];
int direction[4];
bool inGrid;
};

struct lrud {
double x;
double y;
int index;
};

public:

KGreyImage();
KGreyImage(unsigned int cols, unsigned int rows);
KGreyImage(KGreyImage<T>* pImage);
KGreyImage(KGreyImage<T> &pImage);
KGreyImage(const KGreyImage<T> &pImage);

KGreyImage(T* pImage, unsigned int cols, unsigned int rows);

KGreyImage( std::vector<T> zeile, char orient = 'x' );

struct dotOutput {
/** Position in Grid-Koordinaten */
double gx, gy;
/** Position in Bild-Koordinaten */
double ix, iy;
};

/** Dotliste finden; stuerzt mit "Segmentation fault" ab, wenn im
Bild noch
weitere Daten als nur das Punktmuster enthalten sind
Parameter gibt den ungefaehren horizontalen Abstand zwischen
benachbarten
Punkten an */
dotOutput* findDots(const int distExpect, int& dotCount) const;
};

template<class T>
KGreyImage<T>::KGreyImage() {}

template<class T>
KGreyImage<T>::KGreyImage(unsigned int cols, unsigned int rows) {}

template<class T>
KGreyImage<T>::KGreyImage(const KGreyImage<T>& pImage) {}

template<class T>
KGreyImage<T>::KGreyImage(KGreyImage<T>& pImage) {}

template<class T>
KGreyImage<T>::KGreyImage(KGreyImage<T>* pImage) {}

template<class T>
KGreyImage<T>::dotOutput * KGreyImage<T>::findDots(const int distExpect,
int& dotCount) const {
dotOutput* dotList = new dotOutput[dotCount];
return dotList;
}
--------

Why does gcc 4.1.1 expect a constructor in front of the *?
It should just return a pointer to the new array of dotOutput's!

Thanks in advance

Preben

Krishanu Debnath

Preben said:
Hi,

I get this error when trying to compile:

Why does gcc 4.1.1 expect a constructor in front of the *?
It should just return a pointer to the new array of dotOutput's!

Looks like a gcc bug. Try gcc newsgroup.

Krishanu

Greg

Preben said:
Hi,

I get this error when trying to compile:
--------
# g++ -c KGreyImage.cpp
KGreyImage.cpp:25: error: expected constructor, destructor, or type
conversion before '*' token
--------

and the code is given here:
--------
#include <vector>

template<class T>
KGreyImage<T>::dotOutput * KGreyImage<T>::findDots(const int distExpect,
int& dotCount) const {
dotOutput* dotList = new dotOutput[dotCount];
return dotList;

Within a class or function template, it is necessary label (with the
"typename" keyword) any name-dependent type, such as "dotOutput". So in
this case, the findDots function template declaration should be:

template<class T>
typename KGreyImage<T>::dotOutput *
KGreyImage<T>::findDots(const int distExpect, int& dotCount) const
{
dotOutput* dotList = new dotOutput[dotCount];
return dotList;
}

in order for it to compile.

Greg

Preben

Within a class or function template, it is necessary label (with the
"typename" keyword) any name-dependent type, such as "dotOutput". So in
this case, the findDots function template declaration should be:

template<class T>
typename KGreyImage<T>::dotOutput *
KGreyImage<T>::findDots(const int distExpect, int& dotCount) const
{
dotOutput* dotList = new dotOutput[dotCount];
return dotList;
}

in order for it to compile.

Thanks...

I'll try to do that and see if that works (doesn't have the code on this
computer).

/ Preben

Greg

Preben said:
Thanks...

I'll try to do that and see if that works (doesn't have the code on this
computer).

Well in the interests of not prolonging the suspense, I will reveal
that I have already compiled your code (at least the part you posted)
with my fix on my computer and did so successfully.

Now, I will say that I had much more trouble understanding the
comments. The spelling is simply atrocious.

Greg

ps. oh, :)

Preben

Greg said:
Well in the interests of not prolonging the suspense, I will reveal
that I have already compiled your code (at least the part you posted)
with my fix on my computer and did so successfully.

Now, I will say that I had much more trouble understanding the
comments. The spelling is simply atrocious.

Greg

Oh, just found out that I hadn't removed all the german comments.

And to reveal that I didn't write the code either - I'm just trying to
make the 8 years of work compile on my gentoo workstation where I
haven't got the possibility to go with gcc 3.3, which is the only
compiler that the code compiles with!
It's really a problem when every part of the code doesn't compile, files
are many thousand lines and probably around 50 errors in each ;-(

/ Preben