    and an example1.lib file but I'm not sure how to use them.

    Many thanks,
    , Apr 27, 2005

  2. CBFalconer Guest

    wrote:

    > I'm new to C/C++ programming and have just started looking at some
    > books myself with a view to starting a course next year. I was
    > wondering if anyone could tell me how to tell a program to use a
    > .lib file in visualstudio.net. The example gives 2 files a
    > exmple1.h file and an example1.lib file but I'm not sure how to
    > use them.

    This is not the place to ask system specific questions (which yours
    is). My guess is you want a group with microsoft in its name.
    Good luck, you'll need it.

    You would have known this if you had read the group for a short
    period before posting.

    --
    Chuck F () ()
    CBFalconer, Apr 27, 2005

    sorry didn't know I was just looking for some help didn't realise my
    question would have been such a big deal or I wouldn't have bothered.
    I'm not going to go look for a group with microsoft in the name just a
    friendlier one.
    , Apr 27, 2005
  4. Grumble Guest

    wrote:

    > sorry didn't know I was just looking for some help didn't realise my
    > question would have been such a big deal or I wouldn't have bothered.
    > I'm not going to go look for a group with microsoft in the name just a
    > friendlier one.

    (There are rules on Usenet too, you know.)

    Anyway, microsoft.public.dotnet.* perhaps?

    e.g. http://groups.google.ca/groups?group=microsoft.public.dotnet
    Grumble, Apr 27, 2005
  5. In article <>,
    <> wrote:
    >sorry didn't know I was just looking for some help didn't realise my
    >question would have been such a big deal or I wouldn't have bothered.
    >I'm not going to go look for a group with microsoft in the name just a
    >friendlier one.

    Welcome to the shark tank.

    This is a fun group once you get used to it. You have to understand that
    it has nothing to do with C, as practiced by ordinary humans. In fact, the
    two primary attributes of the NG are:
    1) Sadistic humor
    2) Religion

    Note that you, if you stick around, you will soon be asked for C&V (that's
    "Chapter and Verse" to the unindoctrinated). What more of a relgious query
    could there be?

    Anyway, sit back - and enjoy!
    Kenny McCormack, Apr 27, 2005
  6. writes:
    > sorry didn't know I was just looking for some help didn't realise my
    > question would have been such a big deal or I wouldn't have bothered.
    > I'm not going to go look for a group with microsoft in the name just a
    > friendlier one.

    Who said it was a big deal? CBFalconer was giving you the best help
    he could, by offering advice on where you can go to get actual answers
    to your questions. Most of us here don't know anything about
    visualstudio.net, and if we did we'd discuss it elsewhere, since it
    doesn't have much to do with the C language.

    Some of us get a little sensitive sometimes about off-topic posts
    because we get so many of them here. Don't take it personally.

    If you want to participate in this newsgroup, there's a regularly
    posted welcome message; you should be able to find it via Google.

    We have our share of trolls. Ignore them.

    One more thing:

    Keith Thompson, Apr 27, 2005
  7. On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 12:57:55 +0000, Kenny McCormack wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > <> wrote:
    >>sorry didn't know I was just looking for some help didn't realise my
    >>question would have been such a big deal or I wouldn't have bothered.
    >>I'm not going to go look for a group with microsoft in the name just a
    >>friendlier one.

    > Welcome to the shark tank.
    >
    > This is a fun group once you get used to it. You have to understand that
    > it has nothing to do with C, as practiced by ordinary humans.

    If that is true it is a really sad state of affairs. It is true that most
    programs will use extendsions are some point or another. However an awful
    lot of a program is (or could be) standard C, and standard C is the
    framework upon which all of those extensions are based. So standard C is
    useful to Unix programmers writing Unix code, Mac programmers writing Mac
    code, Windows programmers doing whatever Windows programmers do.

    comp.lang.c is where all the Unix, Mac, Windows etc. etc. C programmers
    can discuss the significant language that is relevant to all of them.

    SO, yes, comp.lang.c is about C as practiced by ordinary humans. You just
    have to be able to distinguish the bits that you do that are based on the
    standard portable language from the bits that aren't. That in itself is a
    useful thing to be able to do.

    > In fact, the
    > two primary attributes of the NG are:
    > 1) Sadistic humor
    > 2) Religion

    Most healthy newsgroup have a degree of that.

    > Note that you, if you stick around, you will soon be asked for C&V (that's
    > "Chapter and Verse" to the unindoctrinated). What more of a relgious query
    > could there be?

    Typically that's when people present false statements about C as fact. It
    isn't that common.

    Lawrence
    Lawrence Kirby, Apr 27, 2005
  8. On 27 Apr 2005 03:23:54 -0700, in comp.lang.c ,
    wrote:

    >sorry didn't know I was just looking for some help didn't realise my
    >question would have been such a big deal or I wouldn't have bothered.
    >I'm not going to go look for a group with microsoft in the name just a
    >friendlier one.

    Hmm. CBF's answer was /very/ polite, considering you asked a question
    which wasn't really C related, but to do with how to use MS Visual C.

    If you can't cope with being politely redirected to the right place,
    then you're going to have a rough time in usenet.

    --
    Mark McIntyre
    Mark McIntyre, Apr 27, 2005
  9. Anand Saha Guest

    [OT] Re: Expert advice needed (We were all new once)

    > wondering if anyone could tell me how to tell a program to use a .lib
    > file in visualstudio.net. The example gives 2 files a exmple1.h file
    > and an example1.lib file but I'm not sure how to use them.

    Tools->Options->Projects->VC++ Directories->(Show directories for)

    saha
    Anand Saha, Apr 28, 2005
  10. Default User Guest

    Mark McIntyre wrote:

    > On 27 Apr 2005 03:23:54 -0700, in comp.lang.c ,
    > wrote:
    >
    > > sorry didn't know I was just looking for some help didn't realise my
    > > question would have been such a big deal or I wouldn't have
    > > bothered. I'm not going to go look for a group with microsoft in
    > > the name just a friendlier one.

    > Hmm. CBF's answer was very polite, considering you asked a question
    > which wasn't really C related, but to do with how to use MS Visual C.
    >
    > If you can't cope with being politely redirected to the right place,
    > then you're going to have a rough time in usenet.

    Yet another who will complain about being "flamed" on c.l.c. Many
    people interpret anything other than complete coddling as flaming.

    Brian
    Default User, Apr 28, 2005