    and will check with them too.

    Thanks in advance.
    Doug
    Doug Odegaard, Apr 30, 2008

  2. Doug Odegaard

    Guest

    On 30 avr, 16:31, Doug Odegaard <> wrote:
    > Has anyone used and successfully deployed an application that requires
    > the entry and rendering of extended, printable characters in the
    > browser?  I have a client with such a requirement but without an
    > extensive prototype test I wondered if any of you have had gotchas and
    > suggestions.  They currently use a fat client to maintain and would
    > love to make web-based.  I use telerik controls in most apps as well
    > and will check with them too.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    > Doug

    Hi Doug,

    Do you mean Unicode chars, like accented letters or right-to-left
    text ?

    If you do, yes, there are several gotchas : how you render prices and
    dates, which depend on both the UICulture and the Culture of your
    page, the fact that TextBoxes have to have their "rtl" attributes set
    to true for rtl languages (like arabic, for instance), and sorting the
    data according to the language (which also involves setting a culture
    parameter in your database), to name a few.

    Add to that the fact that it's awfully difficult to debug anything in
    exotic languages when you don't read said languages ("wait, do you
    mean to say that the character which looks like, er, some sort of a
    bird, er, flying leftwards, is supposed to be at the end of the word
    and not at the beginning ?").

    Apart than that, browsers do a large part of the job for you, and
    Unicode has ironed out a ton of problems.

    Here is the prototype I did :
    - I created a page with a single textbox on it
    - Went to Google News, on the bottom of the page are links to Google
    News in other languages, including text in arabic, japanese, chinese,
    korean and other I don't even know ; I copied this text and pasted it
    into my textbox.
    - The page sent this text into SQL
    - On postback, I showed what was recorded in SQL on a simple label.
    - The result was the same as the input; called a few friends with a
    different language Windows/browser combination, and they all saw the
    same thing. QED.

    So you should go for it ! It's also a great skill to acquire and one
    that is more and more sought after.

    HTH,

    Michel
    , May 5, 2008