extension question: hiding block proc

Dave Lee

Hi all,

I have an each method where the value being yielded is an instance of
an Array subclass, created with rb_class_new_instance(argc, argv,
myClass). Clearly, the each method is being passed a block. My
problem is that my Array subclass basically calls super(size), which
sees the block given to my each method, and yields to it. This means
my each method is getting called an additional n times, where n is the
size of my array subclass instance. How can I hide, mask, or
temporarily remove the given block when I call the array constructor,
but still have it in place when my each method calls yield? I've
looked at the ruby source, but can't see anything obvious.

Thanks,
Dave

Daniel Berger

Dave said:
Hi all,

I have an each method where the value being yielded is an instance of
an Array subclass, created with rb_class_new_instance(argc, argv,
myClass). Clearly, the each method is being passed a block. My
problem is that my Array subclass basically calls super(size), which
sees the block given to my each method, and yields to it. This means
my each method is getting called an additional n times, where n is the
size of my array subclass instance. How can I hide, mask, or
temporarily remove the given block when I call the array constructor,
but still have it in place when my each method calls yield? I've
looked at the ruby source, but can't see anything obvious.

Thanks,
Dave

I don't know if this will solve your problem or not, but try
rb_funcall(rb_cArray,rb_intern("new"),0,0) to create the Array instance
instead.

Regards,

Dan

Robert Klemme

Dave Lee said:
Hi all,

I have an each method where the value being yielded is an instance of
an Array subclass, created with rb_class_new_instance(argc, argv,
myClass). Clearly, the each method is being passed a block. My
problem is that my Array subclass basically calls super(size), which
sees the block given to my each method, and yields to it. This means
my each method is getting called an additional n times, where n is the
size of my array subclass instance. How can I hide, mask, or
temporarily remove the given block when I call the array constructor,
but still have it in place when my each method calls yield? I've
looked at the ruby source, but can't see anything obvious.

I find it difficult to translate what you wrote correctly. Do you do the
equivalent of this?

class ASub < Array
def initialize(size)
super(size)
end
end

class AnotherClass
def each
yield ASub.new(10)
end
end

I don't see how that could call your each method additional times. If at
all the block is invoked several times from Array#initialize. Maybe you
better post your original code...

Kind regards

robert

ts

R> I find it difficult to translate what you wrote correctly. Do you do the
R> equivalent of this?

no,

R> I don't see how that could call your each method additional times.

because rb_class_new_instance() don't call rb_funcall2() (what do your
ASub.new) and has access to the block given to the method.

Guy Decoux

Dave Lee

Daniel Berger said:
I don't know if this will solve your problem or not, but try
rb_funcall(rb_cArray,rb_intern("new"),0,0) to create the Array instance
instead.

thanks, this is pretty much what I needed to do. basically, I replaced

rb_class_new_instance(argc, argv, klass);

with

rb_funcall2(klass, rb_intern("new"), argc, argv);

Dave