Fading Frame Contents

az bij

I have defined a frameset and am using javascript to set the location
of one frame within it. I would like to use a transition effect (fade)
each time the frame's location.href is changed.

I have managed to use this effect on a page level using
page-enter/page-exit in the <HEAD> section:
content="progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.Fade(duration=1.0,overlap=1.0)">
content="progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.Fade(duration=1.0,overlap=1.0)">

Is there an equivalent on a Frame level?

Thanks,
Az

Andrew Davidson

az bij said:
I have defined a frameset and am using javascript to set the location
of one frame within it. I would like to use a transition effect (fade)
each time the frame's location.href is changed.

.....let the games commence.....

Mark Parnell

Sometime around 21 Oct 2003 11:18:56 -0700, az bij is reported to have
stated:
I have defined a frameset

There's your first problem. But that's OK - we can still rescue you:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/l_vajzovic/tom/web/frames.html
http://dorward.me.uk/www/frames/
and am using javascript to set the location

There's the second. What happens for the ~ 10-20% of users who have
Javascript disabled/unavailable?
of one frame within it. I would like to use a transition effect (fade)

Third. Proprietary Microsoft rubbish that might seem cool the first time,
but gets really annoying after that. Luckily my browser doesn't support
it.
I have managed to use this effect on a page level using

Internet Explorer
Is there an equivalent on a Frame level?

Let's hope not. :)

(Happy, Andrew? ;-) )

az bij

Thanks for your response. I should have given more detail...

The application is not for publication on the Internet. I know and
control the target browser and configuration. I do not need to
bookmark or print pages and search engines will not be able to find
the application since it is on an intranet only. I agree that the
effects become annoying very quickly but this is a timed application
and not directly interactive so I don't think the same applies.

I need to display a timed sequence of HTML pages and they are
currently too jerky if I just redirect between them. I'm looking to
perform a fairly swift fade-out fade-in. I do not have control of the
HTML of these pages, so loading them into a single framed frameset
seemed to be an option to allow me to define any functions or
properties in one place that I may need to control all of the external
pages.

If you have any other ideas of how to achieve this I'd be very
interested to hear them.

Thanks a lot!

Whitecrest

I know and control the target browser and configuration.

If you do have control over the environment, then here is a pretty
simple solution. Create an activeX object. You can launch it from what
ever application you want.

In your control, have only a Browser Control and capture the events when
the browser control is leaving a page and loading a page (I forget what
the method is called but it is available to you). Now when ever the
request for a new page comes in you know it, so you can fade the browser
control, then when you get the page is loaded event you can fade it back
in again (or you could fade something over the browser control, your
choice I guess).

When you load your (or any page for that matter) and when you redirect
you would fade from one page to another.

If you have programmers, it might take them a whole day to make the
activeX control. You can get fancy and have the control (and the
browser in side of it) to automatically resize with the host window.

Hey its a better solution than "don't use frames"

Mark Parnell

Sometime around 22 Oct 2003 01:52:10 -0700, az bij is reported to have
stated:
Thanks for your response. I should have given more detail...

So it seems. :)
The application is not for publication on the Internet. I know and
control the target browser and configuration. I do not need to
bookmark or print pages and search engines will not be able to find
the application since it is on an intranet only. I agree that the
effects become annoying very quickly but this is a timed application
and not directly interactive so I don't think the same applies.

That's a whole different kettle of fish. If your question doesn't relate
to the WWW, you need to specify that.
I need to display a timed sequence of HTML pages and they are
currently too jerky if I just redirect between them. I'm looking to
perform a fairly swift fade-out fade-in. I do not have control of the
HTML of these pages, so loading them into a single framed frameset
seemed to be an option to allow me to define any functions or
properties in one place that I may need to control all of the external
pages.

Since you don't have any control over the pages themselves, but do ahve
control over the browsing environment, Whitecrest's solution (using
ActiveX) would seem to be the best. If you did have control over those
pages, depending on exactly what you were trying to do, perhaps Flash or
Powerpoint or something may be a solution.

Mark Parnell

Sometime around Wed, 22 Oct 2003 06:55:43 -0400, Whitecrest is reported to
have stated:
If you do have control over the environment, then here is a pretty
simple solution. Create an activeX object. You can launch it from what
ever application you want.
Hey its a better solution than "don't use frames"

In this case, yes - but with the information given in the original post,
"don't use frames" _was_ the most appropriate answer. :)