Failure to connect in SimpleXMLRPCServer/xmlrpclib

iu2

Hi all,

I've copied the example of RPC usage from the Python's doc.
When the client and server were on the same PC ("localhost") (I use
Windows)
it worked ok. But putting the server on a different PC raised the
error:

gaierror: (11001, 'getaddrinfo failed')
The error was raised upion accessing some function of the server,
i.e.,
print s.add_nums(1, 2, 3) # server registered function

PCs in our organization are accessed by "\\<name>" so I used

s = xmlrpclib.Server(r'http://\\pc_name:8000')
I got the same error when I put some non-existing name.
Trying to remove the double-backslash from the PC's name raised the
error:
error: (10061, 'Connection refused')

I'll appreciate your help on this.

Thanks
iu2

Diez B. Roggisch

iu2 said:
Hi all,

I've copied the example of RPC usage from the Python's doc.
When the client and server were on the same PC ("localhost") (I use
Windows)
it worked ok. But putting the server on a different PC raised the
error:

gaierror: (11001, 'getaddrinfo failed')
The error was raised upion accessing some function of the server,
i.e.,
print s.add_nums(1, 2, 3) # server registered function

PCs in our organization are accessed by "\\<name>" so I used

s = xmlrpclib.Server(r'http://\\pc_name:8000')
I got the same error when I put some non-existing name.
Trying to remove the double-backslash from the PC's name raised the
error:
error: (10061, 'Connection refused')

I'll appreciate your help on this.

Maybe using the IP-address helps?

Diez

Diez B. Roggisch

Maybe using the IP-address helps?
No, that doesn't help either.
May be I don't use it right.
I tried "http://1.2.3.4:8000"
and
r"http://\\1.2.3.4:8000"

with no success.

The former should work. The latter is Windows-name-style and has nothing to
do here.

I'm not a windows-user, but there should be ways to determine which program
listens to which port on a machine.

And a common problem is that servers listen on 127.0.0.1 instead of the
ethernet interface.

Try putting the server's IP as argument to the listening XMLRPC-server, and
check with the windows-netstat-equivalent if it works out.

Diez

J. Cliff Dyer

iu2 said:
[...]

Don't use the \\. That's a windows networking convention, and it does
not apply if you are using http. Your error messages tell you this.
The first one (r'http://\\pc_name:8000') could not resolve the address.
The second one reached the server just fine, but the server rejected the
client's request. So now the issue is why is the request being
rejected? Did you check your firewall to see if it is blocking access
to port 8000 on the ethernet adapter?

Cheers,
Cliff

iu2

Don't use the \\. That's a windows networking convention, and it does
not apply if you are using http. Your error messages tell you this.
The first one (r'http://\\pc_name:8000') could not resolve the address.
The second one reached the server just fine, but the server rejected the
client's request. So now the issue is why is the request being
rejected? Did you check your firewall to see if it is blocking access
to port 8000 on the ethernet adapter?

Cheers,
Cliff- Hide quoted text -

Cliff and Diez, thanks. That helped. The server indeed was listening
on 127.0.0.1. I changed the hostname from "localhost" to
socket.gethostname() and it worked!