FAQ 4.43 How do I compute the difference of two arrays? How do I compute the intersection of two ar

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by PerlFAQ Server, Feb 2, 2011.

  1. This is an excerpt from the latest version perlfaq4.pod, which
    perlfaq is at http://faq.perl.org .

    4.43: How do I compute the difference of two arrays? How do I compute the intersection of two arrays?

    Use a hash. Here's code to do both and more. It assumes that each
    element is unique in a given array:

    @union = @intersection = @difference = ();
    %count = ();
    foreach $element (@array1, @array2) { $count{$element}++ }
    foreach $element (keys %count) {
    push @union, $element;
    push @{ $count{$element} > 1 ? \@intersection : \@difference }, $element;
    }

    Note that this is the *symmetric difference*, that is, all elements in
    either A or in B but not in both. Think of it as an xor operation.

    Working code is greatly appreciated.

    perlfaq.pod.

    PerlFAQ Server, Feb 2, 2011