FAQ 8.9 How do I ask the user for a password?

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by PerlFAQ Server, Jan 20, 2011.

  1. This is an excerpt from the latest version perlfaq8.pod, which
    perlfaq is at http://faq.perl.org .

    8.9: How do I ask the user for a password?

    (This question has nothing to do with the web. See a different FAQ for
    that.)

    There's an example of this in "crypt" in perlfunc). First, you put the
    terminal into "no echo" mode, then just read the password normally. You
    may do this with an old-style "ioctl()" function, POSIX terminal control
    (see POSIX or its documentation the Camel Book), or a call to the stty
    program, with varying degrees of portability.

    You can also do this for most systems using the "Term::ReadKey" module
    from CPAN, which is easier to use and in theory more portable.

    use Term::ReadKey;

    ReadMode('noecho');
    $password = ReadLine(0);

    Working code is greatly appreciated.