FAQ 9.6 How do I download a file from the user's machine? How do I open a file on another machine?

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by PerlFAQ Server, Apr 9, 2011.

  1. This is an excerpt from the latest version perlfaq9.pod, which
    perlfaq is at http://faq.perl.org .

    9.6: How do I download a file from the user's machine? How do I open a file on another machine?

    In this case, download means to use the file upload feature of HTML
    forms. You allow the web surfer to specify a file to send to your web
    server. To you it looks like a download, and to the user it looks like
    an upload. No matter what you call it, you do it with what's known as
    multipart/form-data encoding. The "CGI.pm" module (which comes with Perl
    as part of the Standard Library) supports this in the
    "start_multipart_form()" method, which isn't the same as the
    "startform()" method.

    See the section in the "CGI.pm" documentation on file uploads for code
    examples and details.

    Working code is greatly appreciated.

    perlfaq.pod.
    PerlFAQ Server, Apr 9, 2011