Mark Rae

Guys,

Following yet another post this morning along the lines of "I'm getting a
problem with ASP.NET but I'm not going to tell you what the error message is
and I'm certainly not going to show you the code which is causing the
error", don't you think it's time we had a FAQ for this newsgroup? Many of
the other (non-Microsoft) newsgroups in which I participate in have one, and
it really cuts down on the unanswerable posts. All it would take is someone
(I'd suggest one of the MVPs) with a little bit of webspace available to
create a very simple FAQ, and post a link to it in here, say, once a week.

Things like advising people to do a Google search first, including the
actual code that's causing the problem, explaining the problem fully with as
much detail as possible.

And also some answers to the most frequent topics e.g. how to create a PDF
document in ASP.NET.

And, obviously, links to the really useful sites like
http://www.connectionstrings.com

I'm pretty sure someone has already done something along these lines, but I
think it would really help to cut down on the pointless repetition.

Also, some newbies may actually be wary of posting for fear that their
question may make them look stupid - I'm sure they'd appreciate a FAQ to
guide them.

Here's an example of a newsgroup FAQ for alt.music.lyrics:
http://www.faqs.org/faqs/music/lyrics-faq/

Thoughts,

Mark

Juan T. Llibre

Mark,

I have been working on a FAQ for some time.
It's not ready yet.

Yes, you're right, we need one!

:)