fast (and academic) starting points: XML-Query-languages

Discussion in 'XML' started by Martin Steffen, Nov 16, 2006.

  1. Hi,

    XML-Query languages are quite outside my area of expertise. I need,
    however
    material for an academic talk, focusing on XML-query languages.

    So I'm looking for fast entry points to that topic, not so much the
    XML-W3C
    standard documents and stuff, that requires to much time and is too
    detailed for
    a start (at least as only source).

    I'm more interested

    - good general overviews and well-written textbooks

    - the underlying theory and the background

    - "the 10 most important and interesting papers on the field"

    - new and promising directions and trends, hot topics etc.

    Sorry for the rather general and undirected question, but, as I said,
    I'm
    rather ignorant on the subject, and need to transform me into an
    "expert"
    fast....

    Cheers, Martin
    Martin Steffen, Nov 16, 2006

  2. Martin Steffen escribió:
    > Hi,
    >
    > XML-Query languages are quite outside my area of expertise. I need,
    > however material for an academic talk, focusing on XML-query languages.
    >
    > So I'm looking for fast entry points to that topic, not so much the
    > XML-W3C standard documents and stuff, that requires too much time and is
    > too detailed for a start (at least as only source).

    Introductory tutorial: http://www.w3schools.com/xquery/default.asp

    Regards.
    --
    Manuel Collado - http://lml.ls.fi.upm.es/~mcollado
    Manuel Collado, Nov 16, 2006

  3. My standard (and slightly biased) plug: Lots of articles and tutorials
    can be found at DeveloperWorks:
    http://www.ibm.com/xml
    I don't agree with them all -- heck, IBM doesn't agree with them all;
    the folks running that site are trying to treat it as a semi-independent
    magazine and will publish good articles even if they don't endorse the
    conclusions reached -- but it's a darned good resource for basic
    education about XML, the tools and techniques used to manipulate XML,
    and how to apply XML to real-world situations.

    (Obviously there are lots of other good resources; I mention this one
    partly because I'm biased -- as an IBMer and as a past author there --
    and partly because I really do think it's a good starting point.)

    Joe Kesselman, Nov 16, 2006