    I go the FDFToolkitforUnix from Adobe, but it is in Perl and I would much
    prefer Python. Has anyone out there done anything like this before?

    Any comments or suggestions are appreciated.

    Sean Berry, Apr 5, 2004

  2. Aloha,

    Sean Berry schrieb:
    > I am doing a project which will require me to take an FDF and convert it to
    > a PDF after some information has been filled out.
    > Is there anything in Python that can help me with this?
    > I go the FDFToolkitforUnix from Adobe, but it is in Perl and I would much
    > prefer Python. Has anyone out there done anything like this before?

    First of all, the FDFToolkit is (afair) a .so with Perl bindings, so
    using SWIG (or similar tools) you could build adequate Python bindings...

    The usual way to use .fdf is:
    - Create a .pdf with form functionality and a means to submit data
    - Open the file with a web-browser using the AcroReader as plugin
    - Insert and Submit data to a web-server (the data can be submitted in
    html/fdf)
    - Build another .pdf with the data

    The FDFToolkit is only a parser (afair) for .fdf files/data. To insert
    your data permanently (which means, you can save/copy/print the .pdf (with
    the AcroReader)) you need a solution to access (read/modify/write) .pdf
    files.

    For all 4 above points there are thinkable python solutions. f.e.
    i have (very experimentally) handcrafted an example with a .pdf
    using formfields and a (python) web-server that collects the data
    and inserts it at the end of the .pdf, so that the submitted data
    is logged in the file. If you're interested in this -> mail me.

    For more information about working with .fdf and solutions
    i would suggest to read comp.text.pdf .

    Wishing a happy day
    LOBI

    Andreas Lobinger, Apr 6, 2004