    this stuff, and finishing the other parts of my current project.

    Thanks,
    David (who was once 'John')
    David, Nov 28, 2005

  2. David

    Neredbojias Guest

    With neither quill nor qualm, David quothed:

    > I have put together a site, and I did it with some of the things most of
    > you recommend not doing (ie - JavaScript, tables), so I figured I'd ask how
    > you would do it to get the same effects. (Well, you would probably do it
    > better, even using my method, as your graphic skills probably trump mine.)

    That's a pretty general question. If I had trouble with parts of my
    page, I'd try to solve each one in linear fashion. 'Steps to Success',
    so to speak.

    > Thanks,
    > David (who was once 'John')

    You're Welcome,
    Neredbojias (who was a john at least once, too)

    --
    Neredbojias
    Neredbojias, Nov 29, 2005

  3. David

    Chaddy2222 Guest

    David wrote:

    > I have put together a site, and I did it with some of the things most of
    > you recommend not doing (ie - JavaScript, tables), so I figured I'd ask how
    > you would do it to get the same effects. (Well, you would probably do it
    > better, even using my method, as your graphic skills probably trump mine.)
    >
    > Here is a page I put together awhile ago, outlining what I did:
    >
    > http://www.randommonkeyworks.com/programming/web/web_programming.shtml
    >
    > I tried doing it with straight CSS, but was unable to get the collumns and
    > left border bar working correctly, so I gave it up.
    >
    > Any suggestions for improvements are welcome.

    <Snip>
    Hi.
    I just had a look at the site in question. It's not bad but you may
    want to check it with the W3C's Validator @ http://validator.w3.org
    then just fix the errors (if any) that come up.
    I think you may have problems with those people who have JavaScript
    Disables though.
    --
    regards Chad. http://freewebdesign.cjb.cc
    Chaddy2222, Nov 29, 2005
  4. David

    David Guest

    Neredbojias wrote:

    > ... If I had trouble with parts of my page, I'd try to solve each one in linear fashion....

    I did, and that's what I ended up with. It works, but you probably have
    things you would improve, that's why I asked. I'm posting a question in
    Chaddy2222's thread that will illuminate one of the predicaments I faced.

    David
    David, Nov 29, 2005
  5. David

    David Guest

    Chaddy2222 wrote:

    > Hi.
    > I just had a look at the site in question. It's not bad but you may
    > want to check it with the W3C's Validator @ http://validator.w3.org
    > then just fix the errors (if any) that come up.

    This will illuminate just one of the problems I worked to overcome as I
    designed the site. The first major problem with the page is:

    =>line 95 column 2 - Warning: <script> isn't allowed in <tr> elements
    (from Tidy, validator.w3.org gives same error as "Error Line 96 column 31:
    document type does not allow element "SCRIPT" here; missing one of "TH",
    "TD" start-tag."

    This occurs in the following context:
    <script type="text/javascript"><!--
    insertTdWithBackground("common/UpperLeftCorner.jpg");
    //--></script> style="background-repeat: no-repeat;
    background-position: right top; width:

    This is pasting the 'upper left corner' rounded edge graphic into the page.
    Even though this is flagged as an error, both IE and FF parse this
    correctly, and insert the graphic into the page properly.

    FYI, the purpose of the 'insertTdWithBackground' is to insert the graphic
    as an absolute reference based upon a stored variable. It allows me to use
    a common header throughout the website without having to worry about
    relative links.

    For instance, if I have the following made-up page:
    www.randommonkeyworks.com\someDir\someSubDir\page.shtml, I don't have to
    link to the '\common' subdirectory holding my common header and footer via
    "..\..\common" on this page, and as "..\common" on another page.

    You could say, why don't you use "\common\header.shtml" as an absolute base
    reference, but that doesn't allow you to look at it on your development
    box, where the path may be "D:\Web Work\John's Site\Third test
    layout\someDir\someSubDir\page.shtml".

    The JavaScript scripts I have used get around that to a large extent. I
    say 'a large extent', as I cannot figure out how to view the page with
    header and footer on my development box, as SHTML is used on the server
    side to paste everything together. This method does allow me to view the
    main table cell, which is the content that changes on a page-per-page
    basis, so I live with it.

    > I think you may have problems with those people who have JavaScript
    > Disables though.

    I know, but as far as I can tell, JavaScript is benign, other than allowing
    web pages to move and resize browser pages, and that can be disabled. Many
    big business pages use JS, and it solves SO MANY problems, I quit caring.

    Thanks,
    David
    David, Nov 29, 2005