    Ask how you would like the other person to treat you, then treat them that
    way. This is the classic "Golden Rule" - do to others as you would have them
    do to you.
    Colin Hammond, Sep 9, 2004

  2. Colin Hammond wrote:

    > Hello, have a look at my new webpage and leave me some feedback please
    > this
    > is my first HTML try
    > (Link: http://members.dodo.com.au/~niloch1/

    http://diveintomark.org/archives/2003/05/05/why_we_wont_help_you
    http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http://members.dodo.com.au/~niloch1/
    http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?Problems_with_using_frames

    Background colours and background images don't match. Colour scheme is
    inconsistant. Changes in font colour make titles unreadable. <font> is
    obsolete and should not be used. Comic Sans MS is ugly. Centred paragraphs
    of text are hard to read. Your JavaScript throws errors.

    Probably other things wrong, but I'm not going to bother continuing for now.

    Home is where the ~/.bashrc is
    David Dorward, Sep 9, 2004

  3. Colin Hammond

    Jim Higson Guest

    Colin Hammond wrote:

    > Hello, have a look at my new webpage and leave me some feedback please
    > this
    > is my first HTML try
    > (Link: http://members.dodo.com.au/~niloch1/

    Personally, I would avoid using frames, pretty much the same effect can be
    had if you make the buttons on the right absolutely positioned.

    Also, the image on the site is pretty small, but you mark it up to be
    larger, this is why it becomes pixelated.
    Jim Higson, Sep 10, 2004
  4. Colin Hammond

    rf Guest

    Colin Hammond

    > Hello, have a look at my new webpage and leave me some feedback please

    this
    > is my first HTML try

    That is more or less exactly what you said 5 days ago. I see you have
    actioned none of the advice you were given then.

    Are you going to do this every 5 days?

    --
    Cheers
    Richard.
    rf, Sep 10, 2004
  5. Colin Hammond

    WebcastMaker Guest

    In article <>, says...
    > Hello, have a look at my new webpage and leave me some feedback please this
    > is my first HTML try
    > (Link: http://members.dodo.com.au/~niloch1/

    Depends what you want. For a personal home page, that may get 10 hits
    this year from non-family, it is fine.

    But do you want to do it right so non family members will like it?

    Lose the frames. There are valid uses for frames, your page has none of
    them

    Validate your page.

    Anything that follows the mouse was "cool" about 5 years ago. We all
    grew up.

    Then ask yourself a question, and be honest. Do you REALLY think it
    looks good? I mean REALLY.

    Again, if this is the only web site you will do, and if you don't expect
    anyone to ever go there (less family and friends) then it is fine.
    --
    WebcastMaker
    Webcasting for free
    WebcastMaker, Sep 10, 2004
  6. "Colin Hammond" <> wrote:

    > http://members.dodo.com.au/~niloch1/

    We have seen this page before.
    Ditch the frames. Again.

    My memory span is longer than five days. If I pretended that YOUR memory
    was as short as you are pretending that MY memory is short, wouldn't you be
    offended?

    The Doormouse

    The Doormouse, Sep 10, 2004
  7. On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 21:38:38 +0000, Colin Hammond wrote:

    > Hello, have a look at my new webpage and leave me some feedback please this
    > is my first HTML try
    > (Link: http://members.dodo.com.au/~niloch1/

    Hi. It looks fine, as far as AOLer personal home pages go. As far as
    generaly web design, it is awful.

    If the purpose opf the page is to showcase your family, and you don't mean
    to ever become a "web designer", then you are doing fine.

    If, however, you want some real "web design" advice, I have some. Even if
    you don't want it, here it is:

    1) Frames are a generally unsound way of laying out web pages. There are
    a variety of reasons why. They are a technological mistake. Not all
    technology is good! (Although there may be some arguments for using frames)

    2) Never ever ever EVER use img width and height to resize an image in the
    browser!!! Never! It makes your image look like crap. Use an image editing
    program. And no, it doesn't *have* to be photoshop! Try Irfanview, for
    example (if all you need to do is resize images -- irfanview.com).

    3) Using a different color for each letter looked good in, like, 5th
    grade. Hm. Unless you *are* in fifth grade, which is possible (I mean it
    is a family website, the kid could have made it!)

    4) This goes back to the image resize thing -- what is the point of
    smaller, "thumbnail" images on which you click and then go to the
    full-size version? Bandwidth savings!! Once again, learn how to use a
    photo editor to properly resize your images. There is no point in having
    the full-size image as a thumbnail, but resized with the width and height
    attributes.

    You seem like a nice guy and your kids are cute. Don't use this one
    website as your launch platform for your web design business, please!
    Learn more design. Learn more techniques. Learn color theory. Learn a
    smidge about fonts. And learn why not to use frames.

    Whew. later...

    --
    Jeffrey Silverman

    ** Drop "PANTS" to reply by email
    Jeffrey Silverman, Sep 10, 2004
  8. Colin Hammond

    Neal Guest

    On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 22:42:42 -0400, Jeffrey Silverman
    <> wrote:

    > 1) Frames are a generally unsound way of laying out web pages. There are
    > a variety of reasons why. They are a technological mistake. Not all
    > technology is good! (Although there may be some arguments for using
    > frames)

    In ciwah I asked for examples when frames aren't evil. Very few examples
    came up. If the content is reference material and it's not necessary to
    bookmark it, a frameset can be OK. But no designs require frames as far as
    i can determine, and certainly most sites which use bookmarks get more
    problems than benefits.

    > 4) This goes back to the image resize thing -- what is the point of
    > smaller, "thumbnail" images on which you click and then go to the
    > full-size version? Bandwidth savings!! Once again, learn how to use a
    > photo editor to properly resize your images. There is no point in having
    > the full-size image as a thumbnail, but resized with the width and height
    > attributes.

    This speaks to the purpose of thumbnails - they must be
    smaller-than-desired images which represent the full-size image. That's
    the benefit - the user can see 20 images which all told load as fast as
    one, and then can pick which ones (if any) they want to see in further
    detail.

    I'll only add that the lines breaking automatically are a pain. This
    should be a large paragraph which wraps according to my browser's size.
    Neal, Sep 10, 2004
  9. I am sorry if I was repeating myself, but did not see he reply's when I
    posted 5 days ago, so I reposted, I am dreadfully sorry, and thank you for
    your constructive replies!!!!

    Colin Hammond, Sep 10, 2004
  10. Colin Hammond

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Mark Parnell, Sep 10, 2004
  11. Colin Hammond

    Sid Ismail Guest

    On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 21:38:38 GMT, "Colin Hammond" <>
    wrote:

    : Hello, have a look at my new webpage and leave me some feedback please this
    : is my first HTML try
    : (Link: http://members.dodo.com.au/~niloch1/

    First try, and you used Frames? Uh oh

    Also, the page took too long to load here.

    Furthermore, take a new picture. That one was reduced - the antialiasing is
    out, and out of focus now.

    Sid
    Sid Ismail, Sep 10, 2004
  12. Colin Hammond

    - Guest

    The Doormouse wrote:
    > "Colin Hammond" <> wrote:
    >

    >>http://members.dodo.com.au/~niloch1/

    > We have seen this page before.
    > Ditch the frames. Again.
    >
    > My memory span is longer than five days. If I pretended that YOUR memory
    > was as short as you are pretending that MY memory is short, wouldn't you be
    > offended?
    >
    > The Doormouse

    Znasz polski?

    :)
    -, Sep 10, 2004
  13. - <> wrote:

    > Znasz polski?
    >
    >:)

    ?hsiloP taht saW

    The Doormouse

    The Doormouse, Sep 10, 2004
  14. Mark Parnell <> wrote:

    > "Never drink rum&coke whilst reading usenet" - rf 2004

    LOL!!

    :)

    The Doormouse

    The Doormouse, Sep 10, 2004
  15. Colin Hammond

    - Guest

    The Doormouse wrote:
    > - <> wrote:
    >

    >>Znasz polski?
    >>
    >>:)

    > ?hsiloP taht saW
    >
    > The Doormouse

    yup...

    maybe you should learn it a little, huh?

    :)
    -, Sep 10, 2004
  16. - <> wrote:

    > yup...
    >
    > maybe you should learn it a little, huh?

    Do you know any cute, single girls in my city willing to teach me?

    The Doormouse

    The Doormouse, Sep 11, 2004
  17. Colin Hammond

    rf Guest

    The Doormouse wrote:

    > cute, single girls

    Kinky :)

    --
    Cheers
    Richard.
    rf, Sep 11, 2004
  18. "rf" <rf@.invalid> wrote:
    > Kinky :)

    Even moreso than you know ;)
    .... and not shy about it, either ...

    The Doormouse

    The Doormouse, Sep 11, 2004
  19. Colin Hammond

    - Guest

    The Doormouse wrote:

    > - <> wrote:
    >

    >>yup...
    >>
    >>maybe you should learn it a little, huh?

    > Do you know any cute, single girls in my city willing to teach me?
    >
    > The Doormouse

    Can't help ya... Western Australia here.

    :)
    -, Sep 11, 2004