Feeling Stupid....

Ian Rutgers

Please take a look at http://www.taoofpeace.com/test/index.php There are
two issues (at this moment) I could use help on:

1. The background color should stretch down as far as the content box on the
right ... yes it does I.E., but not in Firexfox.
2. What is preventing the right border (in the left nav) from occupying the
full space (note the small space between the border and the background.

I'm sure both of these are obvious, but I've been staring at the code for
too long.

Thx

Ian

dorayme

"Ian Rutgers said:
Please take a look at http://www.taoofpeace.com/test/index.php There are
two issues (at this moment) I could use help on:

1. The background color should stretch down as far as the content box on the
right ... yes it does I.E., but not in Firexfox.
2. What is preventing the right border (in the left nav) from occupying the
full space (note the small space between the border and the background.

I'm sure both of these are obvious, but I've been staring at the code for
too long.

Thx

Ian

There is trouble in Safari with the bottom left of the content
box having a rectangular bite out of it. But before going on,
please correct all the CSS errors.

Jonathan N. Little

Ian said:
Please take a look at http://www.taoofpeace.com/test/index.php There are
two issues (at this moment) I could use help on:

1. The background color should stretch down as far as the content box on the
right ... yes it does I.E., but not in Firexfox.
2. What is preventing the right border (in the left nav) from occupying the
full space (note the small space between the border and the background.

I'm sure both of these are obvious, but I've been staring at the code for
too long.

Don't know if it looks that bad in Firefox, but you have a real issue
with your 'Main Menu'. The transparent drop-down is nearly illegible and
in IE is sheer frustration, Doesn't stay down in IE

dorayme

"Ian Rutgers said:
Please take a look at http://www.taoofpeace.com/test/index.php There are
two issues (at this moment) I could use help on:

1. The background color should stretch down as far as the content box on the
right ... yes it does I.E., but not in Firexfox.
2. What is preventing the right border (in the left nav) from occupying the
full space (note the small space between the border and the background.

I'm sure both of these are obvious, but I've been staring at the code for
too long.

Thx

Ian

There is trouble in Safari with a "bite" out of the bottom left
of the content box, the blue is seeping into it.

There is a left out unit in

div#testSheets p{
line-height:2;
}

Fix this first at least.

I have sent you a screenshot of Safari....

If Safari does odd things, it can mean you have made a simple
mistake. I have not looked into what is going on.

Ian Rutgers

dorayme said:
There is trouble in Safari with a "bite" out of the bottom left
of the content box, the blue is seeping into it.

There is a left out unit in

div#testSheets p{
line-height:2;
}

Fix this first at least.

I have sent you a screenshot of Safari....

If Safari does odd things, it can mean you have made a simple
mistake. I have not looked into what is going on.

....thank you, I'll take a look ... and will run css validator to fix any css
errors

Ian Rutgers

Jonathan N. Little said:
Don't know if it looks that bad in Firefox, but you have a real issue with
your 'Main Menu'. The transparent drop-down is nearly illegible and in IE
is sheer frustration, Doesn't stay down in IE

....I will take another look at the drop down ... thx

Toby Inkster

dorayme said:
There is a left out unit in

div#testSheets p{
line-height:2;
}

This is not an error. "line-height" is one of the few numeric values in
CSS that *does not require a unit*.

A unit *can* be specified, but when the unit is not specified, the
property takes a special meaning -- it initially means the same as if it
were specified in "ems" *except* that if any child elements have different
font sizes, the line height will scale up and down with the font size.

If you explicitly say "line-height: 2em" you get a different behaviour --
the line height remains constant, even when child elements have a larger
or smaller font.

Line heights without units are usually the most useful.

dorayme

Toby Inkster said:
This is not an error. "line-height" is one of the few numeric values in
CSS that *does not require a unit*.

A unit *can* be specified, but when the unit is not specified, the
property takes a special meaning -- it initially means the same as if it
were specified in "ems" *except* that if any child elements have different
font sizes, the line height will scale up and down with the font size.

If you explicitly say "line-height: 2em" you get a different behaviour --
the line height remains constant, even when child elements have a larger
or smaller font.

Line heights without units are usually the most useful.

I have made this mistake twice now recently. Sorry. Embarrassing!
I think I checked a validator and, without thought...

Thank God you are here. I am not kidding!

But let me try to recover some miserable low down squealing
excuse that would be beneath contempt for a real human... where
is this thread: ah yes... W3C "validator"

Errors
URI : http://www.taoofpeace.com/includes/content.css

* Line: 231 Context : div#testSheets p

Invalid number : line-height Parse Error - [empty string]

I saw a 2 there and thought this is not empty so... I have
probably even got this wrong too. This is all going bad. I need
to do some of that TAO yoga stuff... I think I will enroll.

(Re OP's site, it looks nice but I scarcely believe it needs such
complicated positioning and so much CSS.)