File handling

Advait Bellur

Hi,

I have to make use of a single associative array to hold two files and I
should be able to access them in the following manner

1. ['<group name>'] to have info related to group
2 ['<group name>']['<subject>']

The file, along with the two group are

abc.qq

Names sub1 sub2 sub3 sub4

zzz 22 32 40 10
. . . .
. . . .

Robert Klemme

Hi,

I have to make use of a single associative array to hold two files and I
should be able to access them in the following manner

1. ['<group name>'] to have info related to group
2 ['<group name>']['<subject>']

The file, along with the two group are

abc.qq

Names sub1 sub2 sub3 sub4

zzz 22 32 40 10
. . . .
. . . .

From what you've written it's unclear to me

- whether you want an in memory structure or persistent data,

- what you have implemented so far,

- what it is that you are asking.

I'd say there is some room for improvement of your original posting. :)

Kind regards

robert

Todd Benson

Hi,

I have to make use of a single associative array to hold two files and I
should be able to access them in the following manner

1. ['<group name>'] to have info related to group
2 ['<group name>']['<subject>']

The file, along with the two group are

abc.qq

Names sub1 sub2 sub3 sub4

zzz 22 32 40 10
. . . .
. . . .

From what you've written it's unclear to me

- whether you want an in memory structure or persistent data,

- what you have implemented so far,

- what it is that you are asking.

I'd say there is some room for improvement of your original posting. :)

I agree with robert. I think I know what you want to do, but just am not sure.

Todd

Advait Bellur

Todd said:
I agree with robert. I think I know what you want to do, but just am
not sure.

Todd

Hi,

I am really sorry for not describing by dought properly.

I have two files ABC.tvs and DEF.tvs, both these files house
student data as shown below

ABC.tvs

Names Hindi English Mathematics
student1 90 75 80
student2 77 84 96
student3 85 84 89
student4 88 91 75

and the other file

DEF.tvs
Hindi English Sanskrit Names Biology
90 75 80 student11 88
77 84 96 student12 84
85 84 89 student13 99
88 91 75 student14 95

Now I need to put both these file into and array (single associative
array) and read them
simeltaneously meaning when I execute this program typing the
"group_name " followed by "student_name" I should get the result

ex
ABC student3
o/p => student3 85 84 89

similarly
DEF student12

o/p => 77 84 96 student12 84

How could I achieve this

Thanking you

ARB

[...]

What is a "group name"? I can guess on the student name but am at a
loss with regard to this "group name".
ex
ABC student3
o/p => student3 85 84 89

similarly
DEF student12

o/p => 77 84 96 student12 84

How could I achieve this

Frankly, this looks like a homework assignment and I am reluctant to
implement this for you. Also it seems, the spec is not yet fully clear
(to you). So while we have a pretty good specification (or rather
example) of the input data, it is still not clear to me what output you
expect. You talk about putting your input data into a single
associative array which is implementation terminology. But the
important bit is to get the _requirements_ straight _first_.

Kind regards

robert

MonkeeSage

Also it seems, the spec is not yet fully clear
(to you).

That was my thought. It seems the OP wants treat two different streams
as the same kind of data (but keyed on different values). I can think
of a way to abstract this, but it just "feels" wrong. Seems like this
kind of thing is best suited to a DB/ORM mapping rather than trying to
do it by hand.

Regards,
Joordan

Todd Benson

Frankly, this looks like a homework assignment and I am reluctant to
implement this for you. Also it seems, the spec is not yet fully clear
(to you). So while we have a pretty good specification (or rather
example) of the input data, it is still not clear to me what output you
expect. You talk about putting your input data into a single
associative array which is implementation terminology. But the
important bit is to get the _requirements_ straight _first_.

Kind regards

robert

I'm still not sure, but I think Advait wants to search for a line in a
file. Is that true, Advait?

Todd

Advait Bellur

Todd said:
I'm still not sure, but I think Advait wants to search for a line in a
file. Is that true, Advait?

Todd

Hi,

Ya thats right I want to search a line in the file