    What do I have to do to get the full path passed to another page? Help
    greatly appreciated.

    James

    James, Dec 5, 2007

  2. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "James"
    <> writing in

    http://tinyurl.com/26hf58

    --
    Adrienne Boswell at Home
    Arbpen Web Site Design Services

    Adrienne Boswell, Dec 6, 2007

  3. James

    James Guest

    wHat?

    James, Dec 6, 2007
  4. James wrote:
    [top-posting fixed]
    > "Adrienne Boswell" <> wrote in message
    >> Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "James"
    >> <> writing in
    >>
    >>> Hi There,
    >>>
    >>> I essentially want to do something very very simple - post a variable
    >>> of file name and path from one asp page to another using input type
    >>> file to select a file.
    >>>
    >>> <form name="test_form" method="post" action="browse2.asp">
    >>> <input type="File" name="browsefile"/>
    >>> <input type=submit value="submit!" />
    >>> </form>
    >>>
    >>> unfortunately doing this only passes the file name and not the full
    >>> path. What do I have to do to get the full path passed to another
    >>> page? Help greatly appreciated.
    >>>

    >> http://tinyurl.com/26hf58

    > wHat?

    When someone responds to your question with a link, you can assume that
    it is being given to you as the location of an answer.

    Harlan Messinger, Dec 6, 2007
  5. James

    Bergamot Guest

    Harlan Messinger wrote:
    > James wrote:
    > [top-posting fixed]
    >> "Adrienne Boswell" <> wrote in message
    >>>>
    >>> http://tinyurl.com/26hf58

    > > wHat?

    > When someone responds to your question with a link, you can assume that
    > it is being given to you as the location of an answer.

    It should be noted, however, that using a tinyurl instead of the real
    url is off-putting. I rarely follow them myself, and I imagine I'm not
    the only one.

    --
    Berg

    Bergamot, Dec 6, 2007
  6. Bergamot wrote:
    > Harlan Messinger wrote:
    >> James wrote:
    >> [top-posting fixed]
    >>> "Adrienne Boswell" <> wrote in message
    >> >
    >> > wHat?

    >> When someone responds to your question with a link, you can assume that
    >> it is being given to you as the location of an answer.

    > It should be noted, however, that using a tinyurl instead of the real
    > url is off-putting. I rarely follow them myself, and I imagine I'm not
    > the only one.

    Why is it offputting? It's a convenience, rather than giving you a long
    link that might break at the right margin and therefore not function
    without multiple copy-and-paste operations.

    Harlan Messinger, Dec 6, 2007
  7. James

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    Bergamot <> wrote:

    > Harlan Messinger wrote:
    > > James wrote:
    > > [top-posting fixed]
    > >> "Adrienne Boswell" <> wrote in message

    > > > wHat?

    > > When someone responds to your question with a link, you can assume that
    > > it is being given to you as the location of an answer.

    > It should be noted, however, that using a tinyurl instead of the real
    > url is off-putting. I rarely follow them myself, and I imagine I'm not
    > the only one.

    Perhaps this other one person might explain what looks like
    another little arrow in the quiver of those who who must find
    fault with others in order to keep breathing.

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Dec 6, 2007
  8. On 2007-12-06, Harlan Messinger wrote:
    > Bergamot wrote:
    >> Harlan Messinger wrote:
    >>> James wrote:
    >>> [top-posting fixed]

    >>> When someone responds to your question with a link, you can assume that
    >>> it is being given to you as the location of an answer.

    >> It should be noted, however, that using a tinyurl instead of the real
    >> url is off-putting. I rarely follow them myself, and I imagine I'm not
    >> the only one.
    >>

    > Why is it offputting?

    MSIE users don't like to click anonymous links - for good reason.

    > It's a convenience, rather than giving you a long
    > link that might break at the right margin and therefore not function
    > without multiple copy-and-paste operations.

    I usually post both the tiny URL as well as the original.

    Author:

    Chris F.A. Johnson, Dec 6, 2007
  9. James

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    "Chris F.A. Johnson" <> wrote:

    > MSIE users don't like to click anonymous links - for good reason.
    >
    > > It's a convenience, rather than giving you a long
    > > link that might break at the right margin and therefore not function
    > > without multiple copy-and-paste operations.

    > I usually post both the tiny URL as well as the original.

    mm... that's an idea actually. It seems that the Windows world is
    more dangerous than I imagine.

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Dec 6, 2007
  10. James

    dorayme Guest

    In article
    <>,
    dorayme <> wrote:

    > > It should be noted, however, that using a tinyurl instead of the real
    > > url is off-putting. I rarely follow them myself, and I imagine I'm not
    > > the only one.

    > Perhaps this other one person might explain what looks like
    > another little arrow in the quiver of those who who must find
    > fault with others in order to keep breathing.

    I want now to take this back...

    You will all stare at the following:

    *

    and you will feel sleepy and more sleepy and sleepier still...
    and when you wake up it will be as if it was never said...

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Dec 6, 2007
  11. James

    Bergamot Guest

    Harlan Messinger wrote:
    > Bergamot wrote:
    >>
    >> using a tinyurl instead of the real
    >> url is off-putting. I rarely follow them myself, and I imagine I'm not
    >> the only one.
    >>

    > Why is it offputting?

    I want to know where it goes. I don't like following mystery links.

    > It's a convenience, rather than giving you a long
    > link that might break at the right margin and therefore not function
    > without multiple copy-and-paste operations.

    You must be using a broken newsreader. Mine has no such problem with
    long URLs.

    --
    Berg

    Bergamot, Dec 6, 2007
  12. Harlan Messinger wrote:

    > Bergamot wrote:
    >> Harlan Messinger wrote:
    >>> James wrote:
    >>> [top-posting fixed]

    >>> When someone responds to your question with a link, you can
    >>> assume that it is being given to you as the location of an
    >>> answer.

    >> It should be noted, however, that using a tinyurl instead of
    >> the real url is off-putting. I rarely follow them myself, and I
    >> imagine I'm not the only one.
    >>

    > Why is it offputting? It's a convenience, rather than giving you
    > a long link that might break at the right margin and therefore
    > not function without multiple copy-and-paste operations.

    Some people like to to things the hard way. :)

    Actually, some people are afraid of shortened URLs because they
    assumt they're going to take them to pron or something.

    One way around that with TinyURLs is to insert the string preview
    into the tinyurl. In hta that case it would be
    http://preview.tinyurl.com/26hf58 . That takes you to a page that
    shows you the full original link so you can either continue -- or
    stop if you're scared. This gives the convenience of the
    shortened link but the unscarediness of being able to see the real
    link and chose to go there or bail. That works for *anyone*
    clicking the shortened link. For *personal* previweing, tinyurl
    will set a cookie with your permission that enables that preview
    step any time *you* click *any* tinyurl link.

    --
    Blinky
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

    Blinky the Shark, Dec 6, 2007