File Input not passing full path

James

Hi There,

I essentially want to do something very very simple - post a variable of
file name and path from one asp page to another using input type file to
select a file.

<form name="test_form" method="post" action="browse2.asp">
<input type="File" name="browsefile"/>
<input type=submit value="submit!" />
</form>

unfortunately doing this only passes the file name and not the full path.
What do I have to do to get the full path passed to another page? Help
greatly appreciated.

James

Adrienne Boswell

Hi There,

I essentially want to do something very very simple - post a variable
of file name and path from one asp page to another using input type
file to select a file.

<form name="test_form" method="post" action="browse2.asp">
<input type="File" name="browsefile"/>
<input type=submit value="submit!" />
</form>

unfortunately doing this only passes the file name and not the full
path. What do I have to do to get the full path passed to another
page? Help greatly appreciated.

James

http://tinyurl.com/26hf58

Harlan Messinger

James wrote:
[top-posting fixed]

> wHat?

When someone responds to your question with a link, you can assume that
it is being given to you as the location of an answer.

Bergamot

Harlan said:
James wrote:
[top-posting fixed]

When someone responds to your question with a link, you can assume that
it is being given to you as the location of an answer.

It should be noted, however, that using a tinyurl instead of the real
url is off-putting. I rarely follow them myself, and I imagine I'm not
the only one.

Harlan Messinger

Bergamot said:
Harlan said:
James wrote:
[top-posting fixed]

When someone responds to your question with a link, you can assume that
it is being given to you as the location of an answer.

It should be noted, however, that using a tinyurl instead of the real
url is off-putting. I rarely follow them myself, and I imagine I'm not
the only one.
Why is it offputting? It's a convenience, rather than giving you a long
link that might break at the right margin and therefore not function
without multiple copy-and-paste operations.

dorayme

Bergamot said:
Harlan said:
James wrote:
[top-posting fixed]

When someone responds to your question with a link, you can assume that
it is being given to you as the location of an answer.

It should be noted, however, that using a tinyurl instead of the real
url is off-putting. I rarely follow them myself, and I imagine I'm not
the only one.

Perhaps this other one person might explain what looks like
another little arrow in the quiver of those who who must find
fault with others in order to keep breathing.

Chris F.A. Johnson

Bergamot said:
Harlan said:
James wrote:
[top-posting fixed]
http://tinyurl.com/26hf58

wHat?

When someone responds to your question with a link, you can assume that
it is being given to you as the location of an answer.

It should be noted, however, that using a tinyurl instead of the real
url is off-putting. I rarely follow them myself, and I imagine I'm not
the only one.
Why is it offputting?

MSIE users don't like to click anonymous links - for good reason.
It's a convenience, rather than giving you a long
link that might break at the right margin and therefore not function
without multiple copy-and-paste operations.

I usually post both the tiny URL as well as the original.

dorayme

"Chris F.A. Johnson said:
MSIE users don't like to click anonymous links - for good reason.

I usually post both the tiny URL as well as the original.

mm... that's an idea actually. It seems that the Windows world is
more dangerous than I imagine.

dorayme

dorayme said:
Perhaps this other one person might explain what looks like
another little arrow in the quiver of those who who must find
fault with others in order to keep breathing.

I want now to take this back...

You will all stare at the following:

*

and you will feel sleepy and more sleepy and sleepier still...
and when you wake up it will be as if it was never said...

Bergamot

Harlan said:
Why is it offputting?

I want to know where it goes. I don't like following mystery links.
It's a convenience, rather than giving you a long
link that might break at the right margin and therefore not function
without multiple copy-and-paste operations.

You must be using a broken newsreader. Mine has no such problem with
long URLs.

Blinky the Shark

Harlan said:
Bergamot said:
Harlan said:
James wrote:
[top-posting fixed]
http://tinyurl.com/26hf58

wHat?

When someone responds to your question with a link, you can
assume that it is being given to you as the location of an
answer.

It should be noted, however, that using a tinyurl instead of
the real url is off-putting. I rarely follow them myself, and I
imagine I'm not the only one.
Why is it offputting? It's a convenience, rather than giving you
a long link that might break at the right margin and therefore
not function without multiple copy-and-paste operations.

Some people like to to things the hard way. :)

Actually, some people are afraid of shortened URLs because they
assumt they're going to take them to pron or something.

One way around that with TinyURLs is to insert the string preview
into the tinyurl. In hta that case it would be
http://preview.tinyurl.com/26hf58 . That takes you to a page that
shows you the full original link so you can either continue -- or
stop if you're scared. This gives the convenience of the
shortened link but the unscarediness of being able to see the real
link and chose to go there or bail. That works for *anyone*
clicking the shortened link. For *personal* previweing, tinyurl
will set a cookie with your permission that enables that preview
step any time *you* click *any* tinyurl link.