File Manager Application With Custom File Access

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by wdweb, Mar 10, 2006.

  1. wdweb

    wdweb Guest

    Hello, Thanks in advance for any tips.

    I am building a file management application which will allow file
    markup/sharing across the internet for all ms office, adobe pdf,
    photographs and other document formats. The docs will be marked up
    with add-in components that are not built yet.

    I have decided to start with building on a file permissions module. I
    understand changing FileAttributes with IO.File.SetAttributes
    methods(i.e. user sets file to read-only), but that does not address
    file permission for multiple users.

    The application will be used on a subdomain basis with a potential of
    thousands of companies, each with its own set of groups, users,
    documents and permissions. I did not want to build an application that
    uses the Windows Authentication Model, because then each user would
    need a windows account on
    our server. I plan on using custom group and user authentication in my
    Relation DB to define permissions on a group and user basis, but I don't
    know how to apply my custom rules to each file.

    I am using SQL Server 2005, ASP.NET 2.0 and Visual Web Developer
    Express to build this application. Any starting point as to what to
    use for file permissions would be very, very appreciated.

    Thanks again,
    JD

    --
    wdweb