file object as container class

Matthew Wilson

I have a bunch of classes that track data for time series. The classes are
really just glorified dicts where the key is a date object, and the value is the
value as of that date.

I want a way to store a bunch of these tseries objects into a file object. I
want to be able to open the file object, iterate through all timeseries, then
create some new tseries, and add them to the file object. I also want to be
able to delete tseries from the file object.

Can anyone give me any pointers on how to write a file object like this?

Michael Peuser

Matthew Wilson said:
I have a bunch of classes that track data for time series. The classes are
really just glorified dicts where the key is a date object, and the value is the
value as of that date.

I want a way to store a bunch of these tseries objects into a file object. I
want to be able to open the file object, iterate through all timeseries, then
create some new tseries, and add them to the file object. I also want to be
able to delete tseries from the file object.

Can anyone give me any pointers on how to write a file object like this?

It depends on the size of it. If you have, say, less than 30 MB (c)pickle
will do fine and you have absolute control about everything. The new cpicke
is very fast, however the disadvantage is, that you completely read and
rewrite the file.

If your files are larger than, say, 300 MB, you should in fact use some
database concept. There is a twighlight zone between 30 and 300 MB ;-)

Kindly
MichaelP