File::Slurp 9999.14 is released

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by Uri Guttman, Mar 23, 2011.

  1. Uri Guttman

    Uri Guttman Guest

    File::Slurp 9999.14 is released and on cpan. many changes and
    improvements were made. it's been way too long for an update but it is
    finally here. the next version will be out in a few months with some
    more new features (see the TODO file). the changes are below

    uri

    9999.14 Sun Mar 20 16:26:47 EDT 2011
    - Added LICENCE (same as perl) to POD
    - Added special faster code to slurp in small text files which
    is a common case
    - Rewrote the extras/slurp_bench.pl script. It has a full
    legend, better CLI options, size is selectable, benchmark
    entries have more consistant names and it compares the new
    fast slurp for small files to the general slurp code.
    Thanks to Mark Friendlich
    - Cleaned up pod
    - Added more Synopsis examples
    - Added t/error.t to actually test error conditions. Previous
    error.t was renamed to error_mode.t which better reflects its
    tests.
    - t/error.t uses a new test driver module. this may get used by
    other tests in the future.
    - Fixed check for SEEK_SET and other constant subs being defined
    - Added support for binmode other than :raw and binmode.t test
    Thanks to Martin J. Evans, Peter Edwards, Bryce Nesbitt
    - Added support for perms option in write_file and perms.t test
    Thanks to Peter Corlett and Paul Miller
    - Added check to the rename call in atomic mode. Tested in error.t.
    Thanks to Daniel Scott Sterling
    - Added POD to state that using scalar_ref or buf_ref will be faster
    and save memory due to not making a copy
    Thanks to Peter Edwards
    - read_file in list mode keeps data tainted
    Thanks to Sébastien Aperghis-Tramoni
    - read_file checks for an overloaded object to get the file
    name.
    Thanks to Sébastien Aperghis-Tramoni

    Uri Guttman, Mar 23, 2011

  2. Uri Guttman

    Uno Guest

    On 03/22/2011 09:53 PM, Uri Guttman wrote:

    > File::Slurp 9999.14 is released and on cpan. many changes and
    > improvements were made. it's been way too long for an update but it is
    > finally here. the next version will be out in a few months with some
    > more new features (see the TODO file). the changes are below
    >
    > uri
    >
    > 9999.14 Sun Mar 20 16:26:47 EDT 2011
    > - Added LICENCE (same as perl) to POD
    > - Added special faster code to slurp in small text files which
    > is a common case
    > - Rewrote the extras/slurp_bench.pl script. It has a full
    > legend, better CLI options, size is selectable, benchmark
    > entries have more consistant names and it compares the new
    > fast slurp for small files to the general slurp code.
    > Thanks to Mark Friendlich
    > - Cleaned up pod
    > - Added more Synopsis examples
    > - Added t/error.t to actually test error conditions. Previous
    > error.t was renamed to error_mode.t which better reflects its
    > tests.
    > - t/error.t uses a new test driver module. this may get used by
    > other tests in the future.
    > - Fixed check for SEEK_SET and other constant subs being defined
    > - Added support for binmode other than :raw and binmode.t test
    > Thanks to Martin J. Evans, Peter Edwards, Bryce Nesbitt
    > - Added support for perms option in write_file and perms.t test
    > Thanks to Peter Corlett and Paul Miller
    > - Added check to the rename call in atomic mode. Tested in error.t.
    > Thanks to Daniel Scott Sterling
    > - Added POD to state that using scalar_ref or buf_ref will be faster
    > and save memory due to not making a copy
    > Thanks to Peter Edwards
    > - read_file in list mode keeps data tainted
    > Thanks to Sébastien Aperghis-Tramoni
    > - read_file checks for an overloaded object to get the file
    > name.
    > Thanks to Sébastien Aperghis-Tramoni

    You keep on posting this. If you don't think this is boring then you've
    never seen a bad movie.
    --
    Uno

    Uno, Mar 23, 2011

  3. Uri Guttman

    Keith Keller Guest

    ["Followup-To:" header set to comp.lang.perl.misc.]

    On 2011-03-23, Uno <> wrote:
    > On 03/22/2011 09:53 PM, Uri Guttman wrote:
    >>
    >> File::Slurp 9999.14 is released and on cpan.

    [snip]

    > You keep on posting this. If you don't think this is boring then you've
    > never seen a bad movie.

    Uri's post is completely appropriate for the Perl newsgroups. If you
    don't like his announcements, killfile on the Subject: ; any good
    newsreader should allow you to use a regex to match any future version
    of File::Slurp.

    FWIW, posts about how whereis works are not appropriate for Perl
    newsgroups.

    --keith

    --
    -francisco.ca.us
    (try just my userid to email me)

    Keith Keller, Mar 23, 2011
  4. Uri Guttman

    Uri Guttman Guest

    U> On 03/22/2011 09:53 PM, Uri Guttman wrote:
    >>
    >> File::Slurp 9999.14 is released and on cpan. many changes and
    >> improvements were made. it's been way too long for an update but it is
    >> finally here. the next version will be out in a few months with some
    >> more new features (see the TODO file). the changes are below
    >>

    U> You keep on posting this. If you don't think this is boring then
    U> you've never seen a bad movie.

    as in where or when did i do this? you are proving yourself to be very
    delusional. it was crossposted once tonight to clp.misc and
    clp.modules.

    uri

    Uri Guttman, Mar 23, 2011
  5. Uri Guttman

    ccc31807 Guest

    On Mar 23, 12:24 am, Uno <> wrote:
    > You keep on posting this.  If you don't think this is boring then you've
    > never seen a bad movie.

    Uno,

    This isn't a personal criticism or an ugly post, so please don't take
    it that way.

    There are a class of people in the world who server others, who are
    productive and effective, who seek the betterment of their world, and
    who sacrifice for the benefit of their fellow men. The OP is an
    example of this. We should encourage these people and support their
    efforts.

    I don't know why you posted the above, but it's not helpful. Even if
    you find it boring, even if you find it inappropriate, you shouldn't
    respond negatively.

    Besides which, you would probably learn something by reading through
    this. You might not find it useful directly, but you might pick up
    some helpful idioms.

    CC.

    ccc31807, Mar 23, 2011