    std::string for opening file based streams. Is there a reason for
    omitting the wide character types?

    Fraser.
    Fraser Ross, Jul 29, 2011

  2. On 7/29/2011 5:48 AM, Fraser Ross wrote:
    > The standard library allows file name types of char const * and
    > std::string for opening file based streams. Is there a reason for
    > omitting the wide character types?

    I believe you meant to ask in 'comp.std.c++' (where the rationales for
    standard features are discussed).

    Victor Bazarov, Jul 29, 2011

  3. Fraser Ross

    Bo Persson Guest

    Fraser Ross wrote:
    > The standard library allows file name types of char const * and
    > std::string for opening file based streams. Is there a reason for
    > omitting the wide character types?

    One reason is that nobody has come up with a set of semantics that
    everybody else can agree on.

    Things like, what does a wide string mean on a filesystem with narrow
    char file names?

    Bo Persson
    Bo Persson, Jul 29, 2011
  4. Fraser Ross

    James Kanze Guest

    On Jul 29, 10:48 am, "Fraser Ross" <> wrote:
    > The standard library allows file name types of char const * and
    > std::string for opening file based streams. Is there a reason for
    > omitting the wide character types?

    The most obvious is that it isn't supported in most OS's.

    --
    James Kanze
    James Kanze, Jul 30, 2011