File Uploads

Doug Helm

Hey, Folks:

I'm trying to write a very simple file upload CGI. I'm on a Windows server.
I *am* using the -u switch to start Python for CGIs, as follows:

c:\python\python.exe -u %s %s

I *do* have write permissions on the directory I'm trying to write to. But,
when I click submit, it just hangs. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks. Here's the code...

Upload.py

import cgi

print "content-type: text/html\n\n"

form = cgi.FieldStorage()
if not form:
print """
<head></head>
<form name="frmMain" action="Upload.py" method="POST"
enctype="multipart/form-data">
<input type="file" name="filename"><br>
<input type="submit">
</form>
"""
else:
import BLOB
lobjUp = BLOB.BLOB()
if lobjUp.Save('filename', 'SomeFile.jpg'):
print """
<head></head>
File successfully saved.
"""
else:
print """
<head></head>
Unable to save file.
"""

--------------

Blob.py

import cgi
import staticobject

cTrue = 1
cFalse = 0

try:
import msvcrt,os
msvcrt.setmode( 0, os.O_BINARY ) # stdin = 0
msvcrt.setmode( 1, os.O_BINARY ) # stdout = 1
except ImportError:
pass

class BLOB(staticobject.StaticObject):

def __init__(self):
self.initializing = cTrue
staticobject.StaticObject.__init__(self)
self.initializing = cFalse

def Save(self, pstrFormFieldName, pstrFilePathAndName):

# tried this first -- same result -- just hangs...
# try:
# form = cgi.FieldStorage()
# item = form[pstrFormFieldName]
# if item.file:
# data = item.file.read()
# f = open(pstrFilePathAndName,'wb')
# f.write(data)
# f.close()
# return cTrue
# else:
# return cFalse
# except:
# return cFalse

form = cgi.FieldStorage()
f = open(pstrFilePathAndName,'wb')
f.write(form[pstrFormFieldName].value)
f.close()

dimitri pater

Maybe this helps:
http://www.voidspace.org.uk/python/cgi.shtml#upload

I use it, it works for fine me
Maybe it will give you some clues on how to tweak your own script.

Dimitri

[...]

Thanks, Dimitri. Yes, I found that same code too and tried it with the
exact same result as the code I've uploaded (just hangs). But, OK. You
have it working, so it must be a systems issue. Are you also on a Windows
IIS web server? Do you have CGI configured the same way (i.e. .py =
python.exe -u %s %s)?

Thanks.

Doug

dimitri pater said:
[...]

No, I am on a Linux server. I am not sure how CGI is configured
because I do not control the server, I only use it.

bye,
Dimitri

dimitri pater said:
[...]

and-google

Doug said:
form = cgi.FieldStorage()
if lobjUp.Save('filename', 'SomeFile.jpg'):
class BLOB(staticobject.StaticObject):
def Save(self, pstrFormFieldName, pstrFilePathAndName):
form = cgi.FieldStorage()

You are instantiating cgi.FieldStorage twice. This won't work for POST
requests, because instantiating a FieldStorage reads the form data from
the standard input stream (the HTTP request).

Try to create a second one and cgi will try to read all the form data
again; this will hang, waiting for the socket to send it a load more
data which will not be forthcoming.

When using CGI, parse the input only once, then pass the results (a
FieldStorage object if you are using the cgi module) in to any other
functions that need to read it.

Tim Roberts

Doug Helm said:
Hey, Folks:

I'm trying to write a very simple file upload CGI. I'm on a Windows server.
I *am* using the -u switch to start Python for CGIs, as follows:

c:\python\python.exe -u %s %s

I *do* have write permissions on the directory I'm trying to write to. But,
when I click submit, it just hangs. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks. Here's the code...

Upload.py

import cgi

print "content-type: text/html\n\n"

I see you got your problem solved, but you should know there is a problem
with this line. The print statement automatically adds an end-of-line, so
this will actually end up producing TWO blank lines after the header. You
should use this:

print "Content-type: text/html\n"

Doug Helm

You're right, of course, and I do appreciate it. I generally am calling
functions and returning strings and then printing the entire string.
For example:

def SomeFunc():
lstrRetVal = ''
lstrRetVal += 'Content-type: text/html\n\n'
lstrRetVal += more HTML here...
return lstrRetVal

Then, the calling code does:

print SomeFunc()

In this case, the extra new line character is appropriate. Somehow, the
extra new line character slipped in on the print statement in my upload
sample code (I probably copied from a function that returns a string). But
thanks just the same...

Just to be complete (so that no one comments about string concatenation
efficiency), in a real application I would generally use triple quotes for
HTML (or append to a list and then .join into a string at the end)...

Thanks to all for your help.