    explain what is happeneing on a physical level when i open/create a file in
    C.

    Danny
    danny, Aug 31, 2004

  2. danny wrote:
    > could somone please tell me or point to a sorece of information which will
    > explain what is happeneing on a physical level when i open/create a file in
    > C.

    First, for questions about C language, go to comp.lang.c. This is
    a newsgroup for C++, and those are two different languages.

    Second, if you want to know what's happening on a physical level,
    asking in a language newsgroup doesn't make much sense. Language is
    full of abstractions. Physical stuff is platform-specific. Ask in
    a newsgroup dedicated to your OS.

    Victor Bazarov, Aug 31, 2004

  3. danny

    Howard Guest

    "danny" <> wrote in message
    > hi
    >
    > could somone please tell me or point to a sorece of information which will
    > explain what is happeneing on a physical level when i open/create a file

    in
    > C.
    >
    > Danny

    On a physical level? What do you mean? Mechanically, inside a floppy
    drive? At the operating system level? If you can narrow down what you mean
    by the "physical" level, that alone will likely point you towards a better
    newsgroup to ask such questions. For example, there are newsgroups that
    discuss operating systems. And newsgroups for specific implementations,
    such as for Borland or Microsoft products. In any case, nothing in the C++
    standard specifies anything about how files are opened (or even that they
    exist, as far as I know). (Also, note that this is a C++ newsgroup, not a C
    newsgroup.) You might also try some searching on groups.google.com. That's
    a very handy source of links to info.

    -Howard
    Howard, Aug 31, 2004
  4. danny

    Mike Wahler Guest

    "danny" <> wrote in message
    > hi
    >
    > could somone please tell me or point to a sorece of information which will
    > explain what is happeneing on a physical level when i open/create a file

    in
    > C.

    1. This newsgroup discusses only C++, not C.
    comp.lang.c is just down the hall on the left.

    2. Both C and C++ use abstractions ('streams') to
    represent files. Neither specify a particular
    implementation or 'physical' behavior. This is
    because both languages are intentionally designed
    to be platform-independent. E.g. it's perfectly
    valid for a call to 'fopen()' to cause a drawer
    of the filing cabinet in my office to slide open.

    -Mike
    Mike Wahler, Aug 31, 2004
  5. danny

    Till Crueger Guest

    On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 19:44:05 +0000, Mike Wahler wrote:
    > it's perfectly valid for a call to 'fopen()' to cause a drawer of the
    > filing cabinet in my office to slide open.

    Can I quote you on that?

    Till
    --
    Please add "Salt and Peper" to the subject line to bypass my spam filter
    Till Crueger, Aug 31, 2004
  6. danny

    Mike Wahler Guest

    "Till Crueger" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 19:44:05 +0000, Mike Wahler wrote:
    > > it's perfectly valid for a call to 'fopen()' to cause a drawer of the
    > > filing cabinet in my office to slide open.

    > Can I quote you on that?

    Yes.

    -Mike
    Mike Wahler, Aug 31, 2004
  7. [OT] Re: Files

    danny wrote:

    > hi
    >
    > could somone please tell me or point to a sorece of information which will
    > explain what is happeneing on a physical level when i open/create a file in
    > C.
    >
    > Danny

    As far as C is concerned, this particular operation is transparent.
    This would be defined by the implementation that you choose ( glibc / MS
    VC++ etc).
    If at all you are interested for *nix OS, then get the classic book
    by Maurice Bach - "The Design of the UNIX Operating System" where you
    get to know about inodes etc.

    --
    Karthik.
    Karthik Kumar, Sep 1, 2004