Find and convert to UC

Chris Newman

I have 1500 records in a file.

I know how to read the file EOF etc

Here is a typical record

Barkell, William James ps Lone Pine Gardens, Reid

I want to convert the first occurrence of a mixed case word to all upper
case. Could someone oblige please. Have tried the substitution but it good
at finding the word but not at handling the replacement of individual letters
which I require

Jürgen Exner

Chris said:
I want to convert the first occurrence of a mixed case word to all
upper case. Could someone oblige please. Have tried the substitution
but it good at finding the word but not at handling the replacement
of individual letters which I require

No replacement of individual letters necessary. See "perldoc -f upper".
Second major advantage: if handles _all_ characters correctly, even those
you do not know because they are not used in your country/language/culture.

jue

Jürgen Exner

Jürgen Exner said:
No replacement of individual letters necessary. See "perldoc -f
upper". Second major advantage: if handles _all_ characters

Sorry, brain fart.
Make that "perdoc -f uc", of course.

jue

Chris Newman

Sorry, brain fart.
Make that "perdoc -f uc", of course.

jue

Thanks Jurgen, Must be lost in translation. Here is Australia i*brain fart *
is not complimentary :)

Jürgen Exner

Chris said:
Sorry, brain fart.
Make that "perdoc -f uc", of course.

Thanks Jurgen, Must be lost in translation. Here is Australia
i*brain fart * is not complimentary :)[/QUOTE]

It wasn't meant as a compliment. Let me spell it out completely:

"Sorry, I had a brain fart"

I hope you didn't read the abbreviated form as an offence that was targeted
at you.

jue