Find.find and files in cwd

rtilley

I can use Find.find(Pathname.getwd) to get an array of all file paths
recursively, but how do I get only the files in the cwd (do not recurse
into sub-directories)?

Thank you,
Brad

James Edward Gray II

I can use Find.find(Pathname.getwd) to get an array of all file
paths recursively, but how do I get only the files in the cwd (do
not recurse into sub-directories)?

Try:

Dir["#{Dir.getwd}/*"]

Hope that helps.

James Edward Gray II

David Ishmael

Nice!

James said:
I can use Find.find(Pathname.getwd) to get an array of all file paths
recursively, but how do I get only the files in the cwd (do not
recurse into sub-directories)?

Try:

Dir["#{Dir.getwd}/*"]

Yes, that helps... thank you. Perhaps I'm using it wrong though. When
trying to extract files with File.file? or links with File.link? like this:

Dir["#{Dir.getwd}/*"].each do |path|
if File.file?(path)
puts path
end
end

I get the whole directory listing (files, links, folders, etc.)

zdennis

rtilley said:
James said:
I can use Find.find(Pathname.getwd) to get an array of all file
paths recursively, but how do I get only the files in the cwd (do
not recurse into sub-directories)?

Try:

Dir["#{Dir.getwd}/*"]

Yes, that helps... thank you. Perhaps I'm using it wrong though. When
trying to extract files with File.file? or links with File.link? like this:

Dir["#{Dir.getwd}/*"].each do |path|
if File.file?(path)
puts path
end
end

I get the whole directory listing (files, links, folders, etc.)

To get only normal files try:
Dir["*"].delete_if{ |e| not File.file?( e ) }

To get only directories try:
Dir["*"].delete_if{ |e| not File.directory?( e ) }

To get only links try:
Dir["*"].delete_if{ |e| not File.link?( e ) }

Zach

rtilley

zdennis said:
To get only normal files try:
Dir["*"].delete_if{ |e| not File.file?( e ) }

To get only directories try:
Dir["*"].delete_if{ |e| not File.directory?( e ) }

To get only links try:
Dir["*"].delete_if{ |e| not File.link?( e ) }

Zach

The whole thing seems a bit hackish to me and it still leaves links to
files and links to folders on my Windows test machine.

I like this:
contents = Dir.entries(Pathname.getwd)

Better than this:
contents = Dir["#{Dir.getwd}/*"]

It makes more sense to me and seems more readable.

I wish that with either approach File.file? would work like this:

Dir.entries(Pathname.getwd).each do |entry|
if File.file?(entry)
puts entry
end
end

Logan Capaldo

zdennis said:
To get only normal files try:
Dir["*"].delete_if{ |e| not File.file?( e ) }
To get only directories try:
Dir["*"].delete_if{ |e| not File.directory?( e ) }
To get only links try:
Dir["*"].delete_if{ |e| not File.link?( e ) }
Zach

The whole thing seems a bit hackish to me and it still leaves links
to files and links to folders on my Windows test machine.

I like this:
contents = Dir.entries(Pathname.getwd)

Better than this:
contents = Dir["#{Dir.getwd}/*"]

It makes more sense to me and seems more readable.

I wish that with either approach File.file? would work like this:

Dir.entries(Pathname.getwd).each do |entry|
if File.file?(entry)
puts entry
end
end

Why not:
Dir.entries(Dir.pwd).each do |entry|
unless File.directory?(entry)
puts entry
end
end

Or Dir.entries(Dir.pwd).reject { |entry| File.directory?(entry) }

zdennis

rtilley said:
zdennis said:
To get only normal files try:
Dir["*"].delete_if{ |e| not File.file?( e ) }

To get only directories try:
Dir["*"].delete_if{ |e| not File.directory?( e ) }

To get only links try:
Dir["*"].delete_if{ |e| not File.link?( e ) }

Zach

The whole thing seems a bit hackish to me and it still leaves links to
files and links to folders on my Windows test machine.

I like this:
contents = Dir.entries(Pathname.getwd)

Better than this:
contents = Dir["#{Dir.getwd}/*"]

It makes more sense to me and seems more readable.

I wish that with either approach File.file? would work like this:

Dir.entries(Pathname.getwd).each do |entry|
if File.file?(entry)
puts entry
end
end

Working with file globs is *not* hackish in my opinion. File globs are a powerful and wonderful thing. See Dir#glob for more
information.

Granted reject is better use then delete_if in this scenario. I like Logan's last solution, although to tidy it up:
Dir.entries( Dir.pwd ).reject{ |f| File.directory?( f ) }

Zach

Pit Capitain

rtilley said:
Dir.entries(Pathname.getwd).each do |entry|
if File.file?(entry)
puts entry
end
end

Works here with Ruby 1.8.4 (2005-12-24) [i386-mswin32] on Windows 2000.
Same output as

Dir[ "*" ].each do |f|
puts f if File.file? f
end

Are you testing this in IRB? If so, remember that each returns the
original array, including directories.

Regards,
Pit

ChrisH

rtilley said:
I can use Find.find(Pathname.getwd) to get an array of all file paths
recursively, but how do I get only the files in the cwd (do not recurse
into sub-directories)?

Thank you,
Brad

Was just reviewing the docs for Find
(http://ruby-doc.org/stdlib/libdoc/find/rdoc/classes/Find.html) and
they have a nice example of how to use it. For your case you could
say:

require 'find'
require 'pathname'
require 'pp'

root = Pathname.getwd
pp "Looking in #{root}"
Find.find(root) do |path|
next if path == root #look in the given directory
if FileTest.directory?(path)
Find.prune # but don't look into sub-dir(s).
else
pp path
end
end

cheers

ChrisH

This seems to have become an obsession! 9^)

After looking at the docs on Pathname
(http://ruby-doc.org/core/classes/Pathname.html), it seems this module
wraps alot of the File related functionality. Thus we can more
concisely say:

require 'pathname'
require 'pp'

Pathname.getwd.children.each{ |f| pp f.to_s if f.file?}

Cheers