Finding Duplicate Messages off of COM port

ucfcpegirl06

Hello,

I have a dilemma. I am trying to flag duplicate messages received off
of a com port. I have a software tool that is supposed to detect dup
messages and flag and write the text "DUP" on the GUI of the software
tool to let the user know that a duplicate message was sent or
received.

Here is the code:

void CMessageEngine::checkDup(DWORD time){
//DUP dupArray[MAXCOMPONENTS]; //array that holds the last message
received and sent
// of each component of the Blade Center
int i;
int index=18;
int duplicate=0;

unsigned char dest = escapedmessage[0];
unsigned char source = escapedmessage[1];

// Identify duplicate received messages
if(dest == SDBYMM)
index = 0;
if(dest == BLADE1 || dest == BLADE2 || dest == BLADE3 ||
dest == BLADE4 || dest == BLADE5 || dest == BLADE6 ||
dest == BLADE7 || dest == BLADE8 || dest == BLADE9 ||
dest == BLADE10 || dest == BLADE11 || dest == BLADE12 ||
dest == BLADE13 || dest == BLADE14)
index = (int) dest;
if(dest == KERNEL)
{
index = 16;
// index = 15;
}
if(dest == MM)
{
// index = 16;
index = 17;
}

if(index != 17)
{
if(dupArray[index].len_Rx != 0 && dupArray[index].len_Rx == len
)
{
if((time - dupArray[index].time_Rx) < CUTOFF_TIME)
{
for(i =0;i<len;i++)
{
if(dupArray[index].msg_Rx != escapedmessage)
break;
if(i == len-1)
duplicate =1;
}// end for

if(duplicate){
dupArray[index].time_Rx = time;
dupArray[index].len_Rx = len;
}
else
{
for(i=0;i<len;i++)
{
dupArray[index].msg_Rx = escapedmessage;
dupArray[index].time_Rx = time;
dupArray[index].len_Rx = len;

} // end if(index != 17)

//Identify duplicate sent messages
if(source == SDBYMM) index = 0;

if(source == BLADE1 || source == BLADE2 || source == BLADE3 ||
source == BLADE4 || source == BLADE5 || source == BLADE6 ||
source == BLADE7 || source == BLADE8 || source == BLADE9 ||
source == BLADE10 || source == BLADE11 || source == BLADE12 ||
source == BLADE13 || source == BLADE14)
index = (int) source;

if(source == KERNEL) index = 15;

if(source == MM) index = 16;

if(index != 17)
{
if(dupArray[index].len_Tx != 0 && dupArray[index].len_Tx == len
)
{
if((time - dupArray[index].time_Tx) < CUTOFF_TIME)
{
for(i =0;i<len;i++)
{
if(dupArray[index].msg_Tx != escapedmessage)
break;
if(i == len-1)
duplicate =1;
}// end for

if(duplicate){
dupArray[index].time_Tx = time;
dupArray[index].len_Tx = len;

}
else{
for(i=0;i<len;i++)
dupArray[index].msg_Tx = escapedmessage;
dupArray[index].time_Tx = time;
dupArray[index].len_Tx = len;
}
} // end if(index != 17)

if(index == 17)
strcat(info,"UKN");

if(duplicate)
strcat(info,"DUP");
}

In Header file:

//Used to check duplicate messages
#define MAXCOMPONENTS (17)
#define SDBYMM ((unsigned char)0xD0)
#define BLADE1 ((unsigned char)0x01)
#define BLADE2 ((unsigned char)0x02)
#define BLADE3 ((unsigned char)0x03)
#define BLADE4 ((unsigned char)0x04)
#define BLADE5 ((unsigned char)0x05)
#define BLADE6 ((unsigned char)0x06)
#define BLADE7 ((unsigned char)0x07)
#define BLADE8 ((unsigned char)0x08)
#define BLADE9 ((unsigned char)0x09)
#define BLADE10 ((unsigned char)0x10)
#define BLADE11 ((unsigned char)0x11)
#define BLADE12 ((unsigned char)0x12)
#define BLADE13 ((unsigned char)0x13)
#define BLADE14 ((unsigned char)0x14)
#define KERNEL ((unsigned char)0x0F)
#define MM ((unsigned char)0xE0)

//Time to check for duplicate messages
#define CUTOFF_TIME (60000)

//Structure that holds duplicate messages
struct DUP {
DWORD time_Rx;
unsigned char msg_Rx[MAXMESSAGE];
int len_Rx;
DWORD time_Tx;
unsigned char msg_Tx[MAXMESSAGE];
int len_Tx;
};

mlimber

ucfcpegirl06 said:
I have a dilemma. I am trying to flag duplicate messages received off
of a com port. I have a software tool that is supposed to detect dup
messages and flag and write the text "DUP" on the GUI of the software
tool to let the user know that a duplicate message was sent or
received.
[snip code]

What's your question exactly?

Cheers! --M

BigBrian

ucfcpegirl06 said:
Hello,

I am trying to flag duplicate messages received off
of a com port.
OK

I have a software tool that is supposed to detect dup
messages and flag and write the text "DUP" on the GUI of the software
tool to let the user know that a duplicate message was sent or
received.
OK

Here is the code:
[snip... ulgy code]

OK, what's your C++ question? I must have missed it.

-Brian

ucfcpegirl06

It detects m essages that are not duplicate messages as though they are
and some messages that are dup messages it doesn't detect. My question
is what is wrong w/ the code.

ucfcpegirl06 said:
Hello,

I am trying to flag duplicate messages received off
of a com port.
OK

I have a software tool that is supposed to detect dup
messages and flag and write the text "DUP" on the GUI of the software
tool to let the user know that a duplicate message was sent or
received.
OK

Here is the code:
[snip... ulgy code]

OK, what's your C++ question? I must have missed it.

-Brian

mlimber

ucfcpegirl06 said:
BigBrian said:
ucfcpegirl06 said:
Hello,

I am trying to flag duplicate messages received off
of a com port.
OK

I have a software tool that is supposed to detect dup
messages and flag and write the text "DUP" on the GUI of the software
tool to let the user know that a duplicate message was sent or
received.
OK

Here is the code:
[snip... ulgy code]

OK, what's your C++ question? I must have missed it.

It detects m essages that are not duplicate messages as though they are
and some messages that are dup messages it doesn't detect. My question
is what is wrong w/ the code.

First, please don't top-post. Put your replies inline or below the post
you are responding to.

Second, have you tried going through the code with your debugger?
That's generally the way these things are solved. Additionally, this
newsgroup is for discussing the C++ language proper rather than
debugging code (cf. this FAQ
http://www.parashift.com/c++-faq-lite/how-to-post.html#faq-5.9).
Consequently, your question is off-topic. If you can reformulate the
question in terms that make it on-topic here, we'll be happy to try to
help, but otherwise, I think you're on your own.

Cheers! --M

joosteto

ucfcpegirl06 said:
It detects messages that are not duplicate messages as though they are
and some messages that are dup messages it doesn't detect. My question
is what is wrong w/ the code.

Still don't see a C++ question, at most a C question...
(OK, the first line seems to imply C++, but all the rest seems C).

Jim Langston

ucfcpegirl06 said:
[...]

1. Code is not complete. Can not compile as is. (Missing variable
declarations such as len, etc..
2. The BLADE constants are suspect. Specifically because of these snippets:

#define BLADE10 ((unsigned char)0x10)

if (source == BLADE1 || source == BLADE2 || source == BLADE3 ||
source == BLADE4 || source == BLADE5 || source == BLADE6 ||
source == BLADE7 || source == BLADE8 || source == BLADE9 ||
source == BLADE10 || source == BLADE11 || source == BLADE12 ||
source == BLADE13 || source == BLADE14)
index = (int) source;

if (source == MM) index = 16;

BLADE10 is defined as ((unsigned char)0x10)
0x10 is 16. So index can be set to 16 if soure is either 0x10 or 0x0E.

Since I have no idea what source is used for, I can't say if this is what
you want or not.

I would try to ensure that BLADE10 through BLADE14 aren't supposed to be
declared this way:
#define BLADE10 ((unsigned char)0x0A)
#define BLADE11 ((unsigned char)0x0B)
#define BLADE12 ((unsigned char)0x0C)
#define BLADE13 ((unsigned char)0x0D)
#define BLADE14 ((unsigned char)0xOE)

but then MM and BLADE14 would have the same definition. Again, I couldn't
tell you if this was correct or not, because you haven't posted complete
code.

I would suggest (as someone else did) that you try to understand what this
code is doing, as only know can know if it is correct without a lot more
information.

Howard

1. Code is not complete. Can not compile as is. (Missing variable
declarations such as len, etc..
2. The BLADE constants are suspect. Specifically because of these
snippets:

#define BLADE10 ((unsigned char)0x10)

if (source == BLADE1 || source == BLADE2 || source == BLADE3 ||
source == BLADE4 || source == BLADE5 || source == BLADE6 ||
source == BLADE7 || source == BLADE8 || source == BLADE9 ||
source == BLADE10 || source == BLADE11 || source == BLADE12 ||
source == BLADE13 || source == BLADE14)
index = (int) source;

if (source == MM) index = 16;

BLADE10 is defined as ((unsigned char)0x10)
0x10 is 16. So index can be set to 16 if soure is either 0x10 or 0x0E.

Check again on that. MM is defined as 0xE0, not 0x0E.
Since I have no idea what source is used for, I can't say if this is what
you want or not.

I would try to ensure that BLADE10 through BLADE14 aren't supposed to be
declared this way:
#define BLADE10 ((unsigned char)0x0A)
#define BLADE11 ((unsigned char)0x0B)
#define BLADE12 ((unsigned char)0x0C)
#define BLADE13 ((unsigned char)0x0D)
#define BLADE14 ((unsigned char)0xOE)

but then MM and BLADE14 would have the same definition. Again, I couldn't
tell you if this was correct or not, because you haven't posted complete
code.

MM is 0xE0. BLADE14 is 0x0E, so they're not the same.

But you're right about not having enough information (including what is
expected to happen, and _exactly_ what is actually happening that makes the
poster know there is a problem). And a debugger will undoubtedly be the
best way for the poster to investigate the problem, not simply asking us
"what's wrong with this code?".

-Howard