Finding errors in this code...

werasm

werasm said:
Why not let him write some code and compile it then?

Ok, maybe he's from ... the deep amazon where they don't have a lab.
They have internet though...

werasm

Understanding your tools is a prerequisite for using them
effectively.

When I started out (I studied elec. eng) I tried to understand IC's (at
transistor level). Big mistake! Point is, while this may be true, one
must be wary of to what extent you understand your tool. Understand it
only as much as you need to, nothing more. We remain in disagreement,
but all is entitle to their opinion (Yes, and all should at least
consider alteration of their own every so often, else we don't learn -
I know).

Kind regards,

cbmanica

werasm said:
one
must be wary of to what extent you understand your tool. Understand it
only as much as you need to, nothing more.

Right, you don't need to be an electrical engineer to use a calculator.
You do, however, have to understand the math operations it is doing
for you. Your compiler may warn you that you are converting a pointer
to an integer without a cast, but that knowledge does you little good
if you don't understand the principles underlying *why* it might choose
to issue that warning.
From your other post:
Why not let him write some code and compile it then?

It's fine for labs and such. When I took C, we had timed labs that
were exactly like that. But if nothing else, letting your compiler do
your thinking for you is time consuming, if nothing else, not to
mention the fact that interview test questions are a lot more like
traditional exams than anything else.

werasm

werasm wrote:
It's fine for labs and such. When I took C, we had timed labs that
were exactly like that. But if nothing else, letting your compiler do
your thinking for you is time consuming, if nothing else, not to
mention the fact that interview test questions are a lot more like
traditional exams than anything else.

Yes, I know people who fly exams but code like ... No attention to
detail. On the other hand, I know people who struggle to express
themselves under pressure, but are really good. Exams are a flawed
mechanism and interviews relying on them are also (to a large degree).
Of course, one do get people who are good at both (writing exams and
writing code). I've been caught out by judging by exams in the past.
Point taken though.

Kind regards,

Robert Latest

On 9 May 2006 11:59:45 -0700,
in Msg. said:
<SIGH> The lack of senses of humor in this NG continues to amaze me.

Thank you for spotting (and hopefully appreciating) my joke.

robert