    files are orphaned and not linked to any other webpage on our site. Is
    anyone aware of a tool that will do this?

    Thanks
    newspost2000, Feb 8, 2006

  2. newspost2000

    Els Guest

    newspost2000 wrote:

    > I have a golden list of urls to each and every file on our corporate
    > website. This includes all webpages and file resources. I am looking
    > for a tool whereby I can plug in the base url of our website and also
    > plug in this golden list of urls and have the program figure out which
    > files are orphaned and not linked to any other webpage on our site. Is
    > anyone aware of a tool that will do this?
    >
    > Thanks

    Xenulink does that, without the need for the golden list of urls.
    (needs ftp access)
    http://home.snafu.de/tilman/xenulink.html

    --
    Els http://locusmeus.com/
    - Renato Russo -
    Els, Feb 8, 2006

  3. newspost2000

    newspost2000 Guest

    My site is contained in a Notes Database. FTP will not do because all
    of the files and contents or our website are not contained as
    individual files on a web server but are contained in one file which is
    a Lotus Notes Database (.nsf). This is why the only other option that
    I have is produce a comma separated list of urls that I can pull into a
    system and then that system can find which files are on the list that
    were not found through a the public search of our site and then
    identify those as the orphans. Can Xenu do that?
    newspost2000, Feb 8, 2006
  4. newspost2000

    Els Guest

    newspost2000 wrote:

    > My site is contained in a Notes Database. FTP will not do because all
    > of the files and contents or our website are not contained as
    > individual files on a web server but are contained in one file which is
    > a Lotus Notes Database (.nsf). This is why the only other option that
    > I have is produce a comma separated list of urls that I can pull into a
    > system and then that system can find which files are on the list that
    > were not found through a the public search of our site and then
    > identify those as the orphans. Can Xenu do that?

    I don't know - but Xenu gives you an entire list of valid urls too.
    Seems to me that once you have that, it's just comparing one list with
    the other and the difference should be the orphans.

    --
    Els http://locusmeus.com/
    - Renato Russo -
    Els, Feb 8, 2006
  5. newspost2000

    KiwiBrian Guest

    Reading the Xenu info I can see no reference to the program being able to
    identify "orphan" files.
    I understand the term "orphan" to mean files, such as for example images,
    that do not have a link pointing to them.
    I hope that I am wrong and that it can do this.
    I am looking for such a program, other than Dreamweaver.
    Brian Tozer

    KiwiBrian, Feb 13, 2006
  6. newspost2000

    Els Guest

    KiwiBrian wrote:
    > "Els" <> wrote in message
    >> newspost2000 wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have a golden list of urls to each and every file on our corporate
    >>> website. This includes all webpages and file resources. I am looking
    >>> for a tool whereby I can plug in the base url of our website and also
    >>> plug in this golden list of urls and have the program figure out which
    >>> files are orphaned and not linked to any other webpage on our site. Is
    >>> anyone aware of a tool that will do this?

    >> Xenulink does that, without the need for the golden list of urls.
    >> (needs ftp access)
    >> http://home.snafu.de/tilman/xenulink.html

    > Reading the Xenu info I can see no reference to the program being able to
    > identify "orphan" files.
    > I understand the term "orphan" to mean files, such as for example images,
    > that do not have a link pointing to them.
    > I hope that I am wrong and that it can do this.
    > I am looking for such a program, other than Dreamweaver.

    Once you installed it, open the program, go to menu > options. You get
    a list of things to tick/untick, and the bottom one is "orphan files".

    It does ask for FTP credentials though, but that sounds logical to me.

    --
    Els http://locusmeus.com/
    - Renato Russo -
    Els, Feb 13, 2006
  7. On Tue, 14 Feb 2006, KiwiBrian blurted out atop a fullquote[1]:

    > Reading the Xenu info I can see no reference to the program being
    > able to identify "orphan" files.

    If you're running it over the network to an httpd, it rather obviously
    cannot find files to which it has no links!

    You have to allow it to see the actual files on the server. This
    doesn't appear to be documented in the prog's own documentation, but
    ISTM that a quick giggle for the terms xenu and orphan could have got
    you to

    http://members.chello.nl/f.visser3/xenu/10-orphaned-files.html

    and a couple of other interesting-looking pages, faster than posting a
    question here.

    Have fun.

    [1] it sets a better impression, especially when posting or
    crossposting to a group in the big-8 hierarchy, if one follows the
    long-standing netiquette in this regard.
    Alan J. Flavell, Feb 13, 2006
  8. newspost2000

    KiwiBrian Guest

    Thankyou Alan and Els. Great news!!
    Brian
    KiwiBrian, Feb 13, 2006
  9. newspost2000

    Spartanicus Guest

    "KiwiBrian" <> wrote:

    >Thankyou Alan and Els. Great news!!

    Please quote a minimum amount of what you are replying to.

    To temper your enthusiasm: note that Xenu only parses HTML files, this
    means that files linked from for example Javascript or CSS are also
    reported as orphan files.

    --
    Spartanicus
    Spartanicus, Feb 13, 2006
  10. newspost2000

    Big Bill Guest

    On Tue, 14 Feb 2006 05:50:00 +1300, "KiwiBrian" <>
    wrote:

    >Reading the Xenu info I can see no reference to the program being able to
    >identify "orphan" files.

    Read it again then, it can.

    >I understand the term "orphan" to mean files, such as for example images,
    >that do not have a link pointing to them.
    >I hope that I am wrong and that it can do this.

    You are, it can. It will need ftp access though. So does WebLV to do
    the same thing.

    Now it may be that you don't have ftp access, no matter how improbable
    that sounds, and still want to be able to identify orphan files. How
    you'd do that, I dunno. But at least you've learned a bit by asking.

    BB
    --

    http://homepage.ntlworld.com/bill.kruse/music-posters-sitemap.htm
    http://www.crystal-liaison.com/memories-of-yesterday/index.html
    Big Bill, Feb 14, 2006
  11. newspost2000

    heff

    Joined:
    Jan 3, 2013
    Messages:
    1
    Sorry to resurrect this one, but there's an interesting thread at sitepoint regarding this subject. See sitepoint.com/forums/showthread.php?944831-Detecting-orphan-files
    heff, Jan 3, 2013