Firebug (?) displays Ruby code to get/set HTML element

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Jack Bamford, Jul 23, 2009.

  1. Jack Bamford

    Jack Bamford Guest

    Several months ago I used a Firefox/Firebug extension that displayed the
    Ruby code (python too IIRC) needed to get and/or set a selected HTML
    element.

    Now I can't find it again and it's making me crazy.

    I have googled and FAQ'd my butt off but no dice. I'd even consider
    paying a Ruby wizard to help me find this, if neccy. cb0 <punctuation>
    me <punctuation> com

    PLEASE help!!!

    CB

    PS. It may even not be a Firefox thingie --- I just can't imagine what
    else it would be. I use Mac OS X, and can't find it in Safari either.
    Jack Bamford, Jul 23, 2009

    huh? since when does firebug use ruby?
    i think you're mistaken here. AFAIK that's all javascript

    Greetz

    Fabian Streitel, Jul 23, 2009

  3. Jack Bamford

    Jack Bamford Guest

    Fabian Streitel wrote:
    > huh? since when does firebug use ruby?
    > Greetz

    It's a Firefox/Firebug EXTENSION, not a native function.

    Here's how it worked:
    You browsed to a website of interest, then selected a field on the page.
    The extension I am looking for would display, in a separate window, the
    Ruby (or optionally Python) expression needed to access that field
    (under the Ruby OSA interface to Apple Script).

    I am not dreaming this --- I used it several times about 10 months ago
    --- but I cant remember its name or find it thru google.

    I will admit my OP was very confusing.

    Thx

    Jack Bamford, Jul 24, 2009
  4. Jack Bamford

    Mark Thomas Guest

    On Jul 23, 7:26 pm, Jack Bamford <> wrote:
    > Fabian Streitel wrote:
    > > huh? since when does firebug use ruby?
    > > Greetz

    > It's a Firefox/Firebug EXTENSION, not a native function.
    >
    > Here's how it worked:
    > You browsed to a website of interest, then selected a field on the page.
    > The extension I am looking for would display, in a separate window, the
    > Ruby (or optionally Python) expression needed to access that field

    That's neat, but it's not hard to put a

    doc.at( )

    around an XPath (Nokogiri syntax) that you get from Firebug or another
    tool. Note, however, that you will get superior results crafting the
    XPath yourself rather than blindly taking output from DOM-based tools.
    See http://groups.google.com/group/comp...10467/2317d10bf6c4c1e3?hl=en#2317d10bf6c4c1e3
    for a discussion.
    Mark Thomas, Jul 24, 2009