Firefox submits form on hit another button...

Peet

Hi there,

Do somebody have some ideas about this behaviour?

I have a struts application. It has a jsp which has a form and two
buttons, one of them is html:submit, and the other is html:button.

Submit has to post the form, of course, that works correctly on all of
the browsers.
But the other button has an onclick event declared. It calls the
implemented javascript function in IE and in Opera, too, but Firefox
submits the form as well when I hit submit button...

Thanks in advance.
Peter

Tony

But the other button has an onclick event declared. It calls the
implemented javascript function in IE and in Opera, too, but Firefox
submits the form as well when I hit submit button...

onclick="doSomething();return false;"

Not tested, but should work.

"...submits the form as well when I hit submit button..."
Of course - it's a submit button!

web.dev

Peet said:
Hi there,

Do somebody have some ideas about this behaviour?

I have a struts application. It has a jsp which has a form and two
buttons, one of them is html:submit, and the other is html:button.

Submit has to post the form, of course, that works correctly on all of
the browsers.
But the other button has an onclick event declared. It calls the
implemented javascript function in IE and in Opera, too, but Firefox
submits the form as well when I hit submit button...

Thanks in advance.
Peter

When you have a button and you don't explicity declare a type for it,
the default type becomes a "submit" type. Other browsers honor this
except for IE, which defaults it to just a "button" type.

For example:

<form>
<button>
</form>

Except for IE, browsers will do a submit when the button is clicked.

<form>
<button type = "button">
</form>

Now, when you click on the button it will not do a submit.

Peet

Thanks a lot, Tony, it works! :eek:)

You wrote:
"Of course - it's a submit button! "
I thought button-type button is differs from submit-type button to be
able to make difference between them... And, with any other browsers,
the sam page has worked correctly, just Firefox needs this solution.
But returning false after onclick() has resolved my problem.
Thanks again :)

Peter